• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How much do you think Tepper influenced "the pick"

TheBigKat

Nicole is the Panthers future owner and she’s crazy vested which means she won’t sell so there are two options: She will learn from her mistakes or she will be the cancer for decades to come.

Considering Tepper’s personality where he will buy something just to tear it down and enjoy it tells me he has his fingers in everything he owns.

5 minutes ago, Varking said:

We picked the guy most folks had as the #1 QB in the class. I clearly wanted Stroud but couldn’t be let over the pick if Bryce. 

CJ Stroud was #1 until March where Tepper was blown away after meeting with him and Bryce Young quickly overtook CJ Stroud leading to draft.  But even after NFL combine, CJ was #1.  I think Tepper was sold on media hype.

If you recall… Media did the same with Newton and Gabber.  Newton was #1 but with a month before the draft the media start selling Gabbert narrative and Gabbert was #1 on many draft board.  Hurney stayed focused and took Newton.

Edited by Lame Duck
  • Pie 5

31 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I get the whole Tepper made the pick narrative, but let’s not pretend like it was some insane reach and Young wasn’t ranked at the top QB on most draft boards. Our staff should be able to produce with Young, Stroud, or AR IMO.

Young still has plenty of time and he's only 22. But right now present day beyond the obvious issues with our receivers and our coaching staff some of the questions on Young are showing direct correlation to the pre-draft questions regarding his ability to make certain throws. There's just no way someone with an unbiased mind can look at his numbers and not think back to his proday and refusal to throw at the combine. There were red flags like it or not. We overlooked them because we bought into the narrative that Stroud basically has the football IQ of Sam Darnold and Bryce Young had "elite" processing and decision making. Maybe both of those things are still true and will come to fruition in time who knows. Of course one of us could also hit the mega millions lotto tomorrow too but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Edited by frankw

13 minutes ago, Lame Duck said:

CJ Stroud was #1 until March where Tepper was blown away after meeting with him and Bryce Young quickly overtook CJ Stroud leading to draft.  But even after NFL combine, CJ was #1.  I think Tepper was sold on media hype.

If you recall… Media did the same with Newton and Gabber.  Newton was #1 but with a month before the draft the media start selling Gabbert narrative and Gabbert was #1 on many draft board.  Hurney stayed focused and took Newton.

If David Tepper was the owner back in 2011, you can damn well bet he would have told everyone to take Blaine Gabbert. We would have missed out on Cam Newton.

Tepper needs to keep his fuging hands out of the football operations. His awful takes and influences are destroying this franchise.

• Pie 4

1 hour ago, Lame Duck said:

Nicole is the Panthers future owner and she’s crazy vested which means she won’t sell so there are two options: She will learn from her mistakes or she will be the cancer for decades to come.

Considering Tepper’s personality where he will buy something just to tear it down and enjoy it tells me he has his fingers in everything he owns.

Not sure Nicole is the future owner. 

The 66 year old billionaire just married her in 2019.    He has a bunch of grown children 

1 hour ago, Lame Duck said:

That’s not entirely true. Young was widely considered the top QB aside from a couple analysts. People thought we were getting Stroud because his style fit Reich’s previous QB styles in the tall accurate pocket passers. There were several people that wanted us to smokescreen Young so the Texans would trade up for him because they were apparently higher on him as well. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, Varking said:

We picked the guy most folks had as the #1 QB in the class. I clearly wanted Stroud but couldn’t be let over the pick if Bryce. 

I felt the exact same. In college Young excelled under pressure and Stroud didn’t outside of the UGA game. Young was ranked QB1 by most draft analysts. It’s why I was ok with Young as well but I always felt Stroud was the better QB for the NFL. Honestly I still think Young will be ok. The sooner we get Brown calling plays or at least more of his input the better we will be. 

10 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I felt the exact same. In college Young excelled under pressure and Stroud didn’t outside of the UGA game. Young was ranked QB1 by most draft analysts. It’s why I was ok with Young as well but I always felt Stroud was the better QB for the NFL. Honestly I still think Young will be ok. The sooner we get Brown calling plays or at least more of his input the better we will be. 

I think the bigger point is that tepper and Nicole kind of poisoned the process and evaluation of things by letting everyone know who they liked.   It’s not supposed to be like that.   Just more continued meddling.  If young is the better prospect then let things play out neutrally.   But after the combine and strouds pro day I know who Reich and Mcown wanted.   Could that have changed absolutely but going into the process knowing who your boss and his wife likes is fuging playground poo.   Amateur hour.  

Edited by mrcompletely11

9 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I think the bigger point is that tepper and Nicole kind of poisoned the process and evaluation of things by letting everyone know who they liked.   It’s not supposed to be like that.   Just more continued meddling.  If young is the better prospect then let things play out neutrally.   But after the combine and strouds pro day I know who Reich and Mcown wanted.   Could that have changed absolutely but going into the process knowing who your boss and his wife likes is fuging playground poo.   Amateur hour.  

I don’t see how you know who they wanted. Also I hope they used a lot more than a Pro Day to make their decision. Sam Darnold turned a lot of heads in his Pro Day in the rain. 

• Pie 1