• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young only has 1.4 seconds to throw, before pocket collapses (Data was updated, numbers are off in OP)

TheCasillas

1 minute ago, Varking said:

I just ran the same report above using the link OP used and it says Bryce had 2.6 seconds. Right near the top of the NFL. 

I’m not sure what to believe then. But I know everything is a problem. Nothing is working on offense. 

3 minutes ago, Varking said:

Bryce has 2.6 seconds of pocket time and the NFL leader is Justin Fields at 2.8 seconds. Doesn’t seem that significant of a gap. 

Average time the QB had in the pocket between the snap and throwing the ball or pressure collapses the pocket, in seconds

IMG_4117.pngInteresting. Not sure where the guy on Reddit or the OP is getting his numbers.  This demonstrates he actually has more time before getting pressured than other QBs.  That doesn’t necessarily pass my eye test. I feel like the offensive line has actually been decent, so the OP’s claim wouldn’t pass my eye test either. But there’s definitely been some breakdowns where Bryce has had to bail fairly early.

In any case, it’s what I’ve said about the offense since Monday night: or struggles are a collective team failure, from the coaching staff’s scheme and playcalling to the the front office’s roster construction to the players not executing.  Issues in one area both amplified by issues in the others while at the same time amplify those other issues. They’re all interconnected and it’s hard to tell which ones are most to blame. But at the end of the day, the offense simply hasn’t gelled together and all we can hope is they with time, they get on the same page and the offense can function with some degree of effectiveness. 

2 hours ago, TheCasillas said:

Can you update the OP or make a new thread? The link that goes to Reddit, links you to pro football reference and the site shows Bryce at 2.6 seconds of pocket time, not 1.8. He’s basically at the top of the NFL in pocket time now. 2.6 and Fields is at 2.8. 

Folks are going to come in here, not click the links and just assume the data is correct. 

Edited by Varking

6 minutes ago, Varking said:

So if it was 1.8 after Atlanta and now it’s at 2.6 after the Atlanta plus Saints game this would mean he got significantly more time to throw than 2.6 seconds against the Saints. 

Yeah it looks like that number has changed.

If you sort by pressure percentage, it doesn't look any better. 3rd highest.

Edited by therealmjl
  • Pie 1

For once, over the entirety of a game, our pass protection isn't the issue really. Run blocking is ass more often than not, and yes some pressure gets there, but no more than is typical in the NFL.

Bryce held a couple balls too long (and yes that can be from not having any open options) and at least one sack was moving improperly in the pocket and screwing himself.

His time to throw isn't the problem. His height isn't the problem. His receivers not being open due to short route concepts paired with a stagnant run game is the problem. His inability to put touch on his deep is the problem. His missed timing at times is a problem. A lot of rookie problems out of our rookie. Which is expected. It'd be easier to take if we had some dynamic playmaking around him but we simply don't have that.

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, lightsout said:

For once, over the entirety of a game, our pass protection isn't the issue really. Run blocking is ass more often than not, and yes some pressure gets there, but no more than is typical in the NFL.

Bryce held a couple balls too long (and yes that can be from not having any open options) and at least one sack was moving improperly in the pocket and screwing himself.

His time to throw isn't the problem. His height isn't the problem. His receivers not being open due to short route concepts paired with a stagnant run game is the problem. His inability to put touch on his deep is the problem. His missed timing at times is a problem. A lot of rookie problems out of our rookie. Which is expected. It'd be easier to take if we had some dynamic playmaking around him but we simply don't have that.

This pretty much sums it up. 

We all assumed we would have questionable at best WR play and a rookie QB learning on the fly.

What we didn’t expect was a step back from our OL (injuries did play a factor here) and abysmal play design and in-game calling.

Edited by therealmjl
  • Pie 1

1 hour ago, MGH1989 said:

Cams first season he had Steve Smith, Greg Olsen. Jeremy Shockey, and J-Stew/D-Will. Bryce has nowhere near that talent. Just because and experienced Cam could rise above it later in his career doesn’t mean a rookie QB can right now.

yes, Fitts sucks.

16 minutes ago, Varking said:

Can you update the OP or make a new thread? The link that goes to Reddit, links you to pro football reference and the site shows Bryce at 2.6 seconds of pocket time, not 1.8. He’s basically at the top of the NFL in pocket time now. 2.6 and Fields is at 2.8. 

Folks are going to come in here, not click the links and just assume the data is correct. 

Only mods @Ricky Spanish @rayzor @LinvilleGorge if they want to. 

• Pie 1

31 minutes ago, Varking said:

Bryce has 2.6 seconds of pocket time and the NFL leader is Justin Fields at 2.8 seconds. Doesn’t seem that significant of a gap.  @TheCasillas I used the same site linked in the OP on Reddit.

Average time the QB had in the pocket between the snap and throwing the ball or pressure collapses the pocket, in seconds

IMG_4117.png

It also seems like Bryce has been pressured more than any other QB in the NFL.  30% of dropbacks.  Not good.  And also, interesting to see that Jalen Hurts only has ~70 more yards passing than Bryce.  Watson only has 90 more. Jimmy G, 85.  Lots of guys are not off to the best start so far. 

• Pie 1

Just now, joemac said:

It also seems like Bryce has been pressured more than any other QB in the NFL.  30% of dropbacks.  Not good.  And also, interesting to see that Jalen Hurts only has ~70 more yards passing than Bryce.  Watson only has 90 more. Jimmy G, 85.  Lots of guys are not off to the best start so far. 

I’ve said this when talking about Fields outperforming those same folks and told it’s not an acceptable assessment to have. 

• Beer 1