• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

SC fire department removes nativity display

scpanther22

:frown2:

The manger scene was removed from Fire Station 12 after city officials received a letter from the group Freedom from Religion Foundation, which works for the separation of church and state.

The letter noted the fire station has displayed the nativity annually since at least 2004. Kratz thanked the fire department for at least not displaying an "illuminated Latin cross (the pre-eminent symbol of Christianity) atop the firehouse roof," as it had in 2008.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-sc-nativitydisplayre,0,4882187.story

I'm an unabashed athiest (and Christmas celebrator), but I have no problem with people celebrating their religion. In fact, outside of a few incidences like these, I think that it's getting to be less politically correct in this country and I love it.

At Wal Mart, Chik-fil-A, and Best Buy people actually say "Merry Christmas!" when I purchase something! I love that. What I can't stand is people insincerely saying "Happy Holidays" because of some CYA corporate policy, or the people who throw a hissy fit if you wish them blessing for a specific holiday that isn't theirs. If you're Christian, say Merry Christmas; If you're Jewish, wish me a happy Hanukkah, please. It doesn't matter if it's not what I celebrate, it's what you celebrate. You have faith and you shouldn't be ashamed of it. Same goes for institutions. If the people who work there want to put up a manger scene, and no one in the institution objects, then go for it, just so long as I can burn a pentagram on my yard. It shoudln't be seen as a threat by people who don't share your faith, but an identification that the holiday spirit is with this institution. It's fear, and intolerance of religion that leads in large part to athiest/theist tension and interfaith tension.

Merry Christmas!

I BCCed my sales manager in a recent email to a customer. At the end of it I said, "I hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas". My boss wrote me back asking me what if the cusotmer does not celebrate Christmas? I responded, "then he is going to hell!"

But I dont see the big deal about saying merry Christmas. IF you are offended,thats just sad. Its almost like saying God Bless you when someone sneezes. Why does it offend people?

I don't get why state funds would be used to build it, unless the firefighters dipped in to their own pockets to make it. Doubt they did, but it is possible.

I say Happy Holidays because around here we actually have people of different faiths and you can't always be sure what people celebrate.

Yeah, I guess it is better to just be blind to other people's faith or lack thereof. That always works out well. *eyeroll*

What would be funny is if someone snuck on the property and setup another nativity scene. The firefighters can say they didn't do it, but in fear of hurting themselves through dismantling and taking away from their duties as firemen if the emergency arises...feels they shouldn't have to take it down.

Sound good?

I say Happy Holidays because around here we actually have people of different faiths and you can't always be sure what people celebrate.

Yeah, I guess it is better to just be blind to other people's faith or lack thereof. That always works out well. *eyeroll*

I'm from D.C. We have a some people of different faiths as well.

Of course you can't tell what someone's faith is from looking at them (unless they are Sikhs). I'm not suggesting that you ignore people's faith, I just think you should offer a blessing from the holiday you celebrate. In fact, I think if everyone gave you a greeting from their holiday, it would highlight and celebrate the number of different faiths in your town.

"Happy Holidays" just seems pointlessly politically correct.

Archived