• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The field goal that almost was

Hairless Cat

What risk? We've never had a field goal block returned for a touchdown in franchise history and the Vikings have never returned one for a touchdown in franchise history. Risk? Come on. Kasay's 1 for 4 this year on field goals over 50 yards. 25%, but probably higher since he had just nailed one with plenty of room to spare. So let's say 30%.

With the field goal, you have a 30% chance of 3 points on the board. You also have essentially 0% chance of a kick being blocked and returned for a touchdown.

With the Hail Mary, you have less than a 3% chance of 7 points on the board.

This should be a no-brainer, but nothing describes Fox better than a no-brainer.

Well Kasay also hadn't had a PAT blocked in 157 tries either so I think there is a RISK there. You need to get off Fox's case, the man game planned us a win against one of the best teams in the league without both starting tackles, and without our primary running back. Fox will be back in 2010!

Since it wasn't a bad decision just a decision which didn't harm us, you seem too stupid to know what is stupid or not.

It did not help us either. The hail mary could have been intercepted and run for a touchdown just as easy as a short field goal or blocked kick. We were sitting a point down for most of the third quarter so not trying for those three points looked like it was going to harm us. Keep in mind that this team has had a history this year of playing worse in the second half than the first so I thought that was a bad move by Fox.

I'm a big fan of Fox, but sometimes his over conservative nature drives me nuts.

It did not help us either. The hail mary could have been intercepted and run for a touchdown just as easy as a short field goal or blocked kick. We were sitting a point down for most of the third quarter so not trying for those three points looked like it was going to harm us. Keep in mind that this team has had a history this year of playing worse in the second half than the first so I thought that was a bad move by Fox.

I'm a big fan of Fox, but sometimes his over conservative nature drives me nuts.

Actually it is a hell of a lot easier to run back a blocked kick because it would be about half the distance if you would intercept a hail mary in the endzone. I have never in my life seen a hail mary run back for a TD and I have been playing and watching football for about 30 years now. I have in fact seen a lot of blocked kicks returned for TD's and I have seen at least 3 short kicks returned for TD's. I think your rational is flawed.

Actually it is a hell of a lot easier to run back a blocked kick because it would be about half the distance if you would intercept a hail mary in the endzone. I have never in my life seen a hail mary run back for a TD and I have been playing and watching football for about 30 years now. I have in fact seen a lot of blocked kicks returned for TD's and I have seen at least 3 short kicks returned for TD's. I think your rational is flawed.

Bingo!!!!

We have a winner.

/thread.

Archived