• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The field goal that almost was

Hairless Cat

This year he is 4-5 when kicking between 40-49 yards, he is 1-4 at 50+ yards and two of the 3 over 50 were blocked. What if it was blocked and ran back for a TD then Fox would have been stupid for kicking it. You can't risk something like that especially in a tight game like it was. SO how was it a bad call? You people just need to try and understand football and conditions and how they can effect how far a ball travels. YOU CAN NOT RISK some kind of return so stop with the nonsense. That killed us against the Pats when we tried that FG we should have punted and pinned them deep and maybe they wouldn't have scored at the end of the half.

What risk? We've never had a field goal block returned for a touchdown in franchise history and the Vikings have never returned one for a touchdown in franchise history. Risk? Come on. Kasay's 1 for 4 this year on field goals over 50 yards. 25%, but probably higher since he had just nailed one with plenty of room to spare. So let's say 30%.

With the field goal, you have a 30% chance of 3 points on the board. You also have essentially 0% chance of a kick being blocked and returned for a touchdown.

With the Hail Mary, you have less than a 3% chance of 7 points on the board.

This should be a no-brainer, but nothing describes Fox better than a no-brainer.

Fox gave this explanation for not letting John Kasay(notes) attempt a 52-yard field goal at the end of the first half after a penalty wiped out a made 47-yarder: "We actually research this, actually practice it. We just don't make up stuff. … They are different based on wind, based on the surface, based on what direction you're going."
Did they just start this after the 53 yd attempt in terrible conditions at NE?

Did anyone notice that because of our depleted OL personnel we had DEFENSIVE TACKLES as OL blocking for the kicks. I am behind fox 1000000% and wouldn't want to risk a blocked field goal knowing we have DT's blocking for kasay.

Really? I was asking earlier if we to change personnel for the kicking line, thought we would have. Didnt think we would have DT's in thier place though.

He cleared the 47 yarder by 5-8 yards. Fox should've gone with the field goal where you have a higher percentage of getting points than a hail mary. Plus it was only 4 seconds left in the half and Fox didn't have any trouble sending Kasay out there for a 55 yarder in New Englad, so why be shy to do it now?

Did they just start this after the 53 yd attempt in terrible conditions at NE?
My thinking is that since he tried it last week and it didn't work, he decided to do the opposite on Sunday.

Of course, Foxy got hammered for trying for it last week and now he's getting hammered for doing the opposite. Typical Huddle logic! :lol:

My thinking is that since he tried it last week and it didn't work, he decided to do the opposite on Sunday.

Of course, Foxy got hammered for trying for it last week and now he's getting hammered for doing the opposite. Typical Huddle logic! :lol:

Conditions were much different....not the Huddle logic that is faulty in this case. I agree that is likely why he backed off this week, but made no sense. If a team with 2 place kickers is afraid to try a 52 yd FG, there is a problem.

Conditions were much different....not the Huddle logic that is faulty in this case. I agree that is likely why he backed off this week, but made no sense. If a team with 2 place kickers is afraid to try a 52 yd FG, there is a problem.
I don't remember if they mentioned the kicker's ranges yesterday but I wouldn't put money on Kasay kicking anything past 50 in ideal conditions this season. Of course, I think the false start in itself was more stupid because it came after we took a time out.

As for not letting Lloyd kick it, well, he did kick a 55 yarder in the 2007 preseason. They really should at least let him try field goals in preseason.

This is incorrect. Check the tape, he made it with at least five yards to spare. It hit the net in the middle of the goalpost, so it would have been good by 52 yards.

You can't assume that just because he made one kick he would do it again from longer. Kasay has missed more than usual.

Of course it hurt us. It wiped three points off the board.

There were never points on the board. The penalty stopped the kick before it happened. If you want to blame anyone blame the guy who caused the penalty. Fox made a decision which didn't hurt us. What is stupid is always trying to find fault no matter what he does.

There was mention in an Observer article this morning that Lloyd was told to squib the kicks to keep them away from Harvin. I don't remember much being said during the game about it. Coaches apparently trusted our Defense more than our Special Teams. :ihih:

I was sitting in row 1 to the right of the panthers bench on the 25 yard line, and based on his reactions after the kicks, it did not look like he was happy. At all. To me, it looked like he thought he messed up, but thinking back on it, maybe he wasn't happy with the placement of the kick or what have you. I just thought at the time he looked like somebody angry at himself. Not saying you're wrong..just my observations.

Archived