• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

QB School: Bryce Young - Week 1 @ Falcons

TheCasillas

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Finally watched. Definitely not encouraging but not really about Bryce. I feel a lot better about that second INT for sure. If JT isn't concerned about that, I have no reason to be.

Boy we might be in trouble if we don't see some scheme adjustments. We definitely need Chark back, obviously.

Being able to scare Atlanta deep might have been the difference between a win and loss last week.  Bates straight up said they didn't have to worry about that and could just jump routes across the middle all day.

Our only serious deep threat is the aforementioned Chark and unfortunately he's always injured.  Some deep speed needs to be a priority this next offseason.

btw you know it's Panthers football time when we're talking about next year in September

• Beer 1

Just now, The NFL Shield At Midfield said:

Being able to scare Atlanta deep might have been the difference between a win and loss last week.  Bates straight up said they didn't have to worry about that and could just jump routes across the middle all day.

Our only serious deep threat is the aforementioned Chark and unfortunately he's always injured.  Some deep speed needs to be a priority this next offseason.

btw you know it's Panthers football time when we're talking about next year in September

Yeah, I mean the reality is that plenty of people did bring up the lackluster attention to WR in the offseason. I didn't think it was going to be this bad but we obviously are going to have to get a lot more creative to get some favorable matchups.

The lack of talent and ability at WR is going to make us pretty easy to defend.

27 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Finally watched. Definitely not encouraging but not really about Bryce. I feel a lot better about that second INT for sure. If JT isn't concerned about that, I have no reason to be.

Boy we might be in trouble if we don't see some scheme adjustments. We definitely need Chark back, obviously.

I like his breakdowns but he definitely carries a lot of bias. If it was a QB he already had a negative opinion about he would've skewered him for throwing late across the middle and just absolutely trashed him for making the same mistake twice in one game leading to INTs both times. Not to mention bashing him for missing Thielen wide open multiple times. That's still baffling to me. Thielen was getting wide open often, Bryce wasn't throwing him the ball, and JT bashes Thielen for this? Wild.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

On 9/13/2023 at 11:11 PM, Proudiddy said:

Haven't finished it yet, but hard to get through it.  I don't see anything encouraging.  Staring receivers down, misplaced/bad throws, suddenly little to no feel for anticipation, bad decisions, etc.  

The sunshine and rainbows brigade keep wanting to cite it being his first game - outside of a couple of secondary players and maybe Grady Jarrett, the Falcons defense is ASS and Bryce looked horrible.  And again, outside of the injury AR looked better.  I think Stroud played better.  And we saw Cam dominate and take the league by storm from his first game on.  First game isn't an excuse, especially for a #1 overall pick.  You draft a guy #1 because they should step on the field and change the game in your favor from the first snap...

It's just very discouraging that every facet of his game that our staff felt made him the #1 overall pick over the other options are all areas he looked mediocre in for most of the game Sunday.

Cam lost his first two games and had Steve Smith to go get balls and Greg Olsen.  This team has nothing close to a Steve Smith or Olsen at that point in their careers.

11 minutes ago, parker said:

Cam lost his first two games and had Steve Smith to go get balls and Greg Olsen.  This team has nothing close to a Steve Smith or Olsen at that point in their careers.

Olsen barely had over 500 yards his first year here while splitting time with Shockey. He didn't start becoming the Olsen we know until his second year here and truly blossomed starting year four.

50 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I like his breakdowns but he definitely carries a lot of bias. If it was a QB he already had a negative opinion about he would've skewered him for throwing late across the middle and just absolutely trashed him for making the same mistake twice in one game leading to INTs both times. Not to mention bashing him for missing Thielen wide open multiple times. That's still baffling to me. Thielen was getting wide open often, Bryce wasn't throwing him the ball, and JT bashes Thielen for this? Wild.

I didn't see Thielen getting open often live. I haven't gone back to re-watch it though.

54 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah I also sorta feel like JT gets the benefit of the doubt from the masses because he was once part of an exclusive club. Doesn't necessarily mean he always knows what he's talking about. 

47 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

That's the part a lot of people keep overlooking.  JT no doubt knows how to break film down and analyze what he's looking at, but that doesn't mean what he shares is impartial, bc it definitely is.  I've watched several of his videos over the years and the way he spins a mistake for one guy, versus skewering another for the same thing is obvious.  He likes Bryce.  It's why I have a hard time digesting him still praising him for anticipation from week 1 when a ton of his throws were late.  He does it in one of the early throws to Hurst across the middle in this breakdown - it was late, behind him, and inaccurate, and iirc, between two defenders, and JT says something like it was a good decision, just a tad behind him and a little late.  Well, then how does that make it a good throw?  Nothing about that was a good throw.

Now, again, I'm not saying all this to trash Bryce or say he's a bust bc I'm not.  But what I am saying is, a lot of the stuff JT was praising him for in week 1 was not legitimate, it's really bc he likes him and wants him to succeed.  He might be qualified and a professional at what he does, but that doesn't mean he isn't biased.  Front office guys are professionals and they make mistakes all of the time based off of biases and preferences.  People saw for years that healthy Cam was revolutionizing the game and the only thing that could stop him was himself or injury in his prime, and yet, there were countless ex-players and pundits that went out of their way his entire career to trash him and criticize him for how he played.  Just saying...  these experts aren't always looking through clear, objective lenses.

8 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

That's the part a lot of people keep overlooking.  JT no doubt knows how to break film down and analyze what he's looking at, but that doesn't mean what he shares is impartial, bc it definitely is.  I've watched several of his videos over the years and the way he spins a mistake for one guy, versus skewering another for the same thing is obvious.  He likes Bryce.  It's why I have a hard time digesting him still praising him for anticipation from week 1 when a ton of his throws were late.  He does it in one of the early throws to Hurst across the middle in this breakdown - it was late, behind him, and inaccurate, and iirc, between two defenders, and JT says something like it was a good decision, just a tad behind him and a little late.  Well, then how does that make it a good throw?  Nothing about that was a good throw.

Now, again, I'm not saying all this to trash Bryce or say he's a bust bc I'm not.  But what I am saying is, a lot of the stuff JT was praising him for in week 1 was not legitimate, it's really bc he likes him and wants him to succeed.  He might be qualified and a professional at what he does, but that doesn't mean he isn't biased.  Front office guys are professionals and they make mistakes all of the time based off of biases and preferences.  People saw for years that healthy Cam was revolutionizing the game and the only thing that could stop him was himself or injury in his prime, and yet, there were countless ex-players and pundits that went out of their way his entire career to trash him and criticize him for how he played.  Just saying...  these experts aren't always looking through clear, objective lenses.

Once folks have made up their minds about something it's really hard for them to sway their opinion. I was wrong about Herbert. I was wrong about Josh Allen. It looks like I was probably wrong about Justin Fields. I was wrong about Micah Parsons. It happens. Everyone is wrong sometimes.

• Pie 1

27 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Olsen barely had over 500 yards his first year here while splitting time with Shockey. He didn't start becoming the Olsen we know until his second year here and truly blossomed starting year four.

Thanks for reminding me Cam had Shockey too.  Smith, Olsen and Shockey.  Yeah, that's close to the receiving core Young has.

13 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Once folks have made up their minds about something it's really hard for them to sway their opinion. I was wrong about Herbert. I was wrong about Josh Allen. It looks like I was probably wrong about Justin Fields. I was wrong about Micah Parsons. It happens. Everyone is wrong sometimes.

Agreed.  I felt the same way about Herbert and wasn't sure about Allen either.  But I've never had trouble eating crow when I'm wrong.   UT for many people, pride is the devil.

Everyone knows what my stance has been on Bryce, but I really want to be wrong about it for the sake of our success as a franchise.  And I won't have any trouble eating my crow if and when that time comes, and I hope it does.

• Pie 1