• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young needs to ride the bench this season. Let him learn behind Dalton before it's too late.

jasonluckydog

Peyton Manning threw 3 picks and was sacked 4 times in his first start. He also threw 28 picks his rookie season and the Colts were 3-13. His second year the picks dropped to 15 and the Colts were 13-3. We all know how that career turned out. I'm not saying Bryce is going to be as good as Peyton, but the point is he's not a bust like some seem to think after one game. I don't understand why so many are turning on him after one game. 

• Flames 1

2 minutes ago, therealmjl said:

That is simply not true. Cam had just about no reps with the team due to the lockout.

Cam played a full preseason schedule (1 full qrt game 1, 2Full qrt game 2 and 3 qrt game 3)  and had Smitty, Lafell, Dwill, Jstew, Olsen and Shockey.. 

BY played maybe 2 qrt of football in the preseason..

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

another crappy qb?

Feel bad for him, he is getting paid but he is going through half his career with some bad qb play

and he had 4 other guys do better than him in receiving on that same team with the same QB.  He is a high WR2 IMO.  Never been great at getting TDs and would disappear some games without getting separation.  He is solid at YAC, but has left some to be desired in route running.  We could definitely use him, but he isn't some game changer the huddle is making him out to be now that he is gone.  

To show the full picture Fields was 24/37 for 216 yard 1 TD and 1 INT plus 59 yards on scrambles while getting pressured more than any QB in week 1.  Moore contributed 2 catches for 25 yards.  If only we had that we would have won....  

4 minutes ago, recceice said:

Cam played a full preseason schedule (1 full qrt game 1, 2Full qrt game 2 and 3 qrt game 3)  and had Smitty, Lafell, Dwill, Jstew, Olsen and Shockey.. 

BY played maybe 2 qrt of football in the preseason..

ah, that's a fair point then. That old preseason schedule was invaluable. 

Just now, ForJimmy said:

and he had 4 other guys do better than him in receiving on that same team with the same QB.  He is a high WR2 IMO.  Never been great at getting TDs and would disappear some games without getting separation.  He is solid at YAC, but has left some to be desired in route running.  We could definitely use him, but he isn't some game changer the huddle is making him out to be now that he is gone.  

To show the full picture Fields was 24/37 for 216 yard 1 TD and 1 INT plus 59 yards on scrambles while getting pressured more than any QB in week 1.  Moore contributed 2 catches for 25 yards.  If only we had that we would have won....  

Yeah I watched, his oline is worse then ours 2 years ago

5 minutes ago, mydaddysmamasdaddy said:

Peyton Manning threw 3 picks and was sacked 4 times in his first start. He also threw 28 picks his rookie season and the Colts were 3-13. His second year the picks dropped to 15 and the Colts were 13-3. We all know how that career turned out. I'm not saying Bryce is going to be as good as Peyton, but the point is he's not a bust like some seem to think after one game. I don't understand why so many are turning on him after one game. 

And you can Literally look at the start of many rookie QB and see the same struggles.. 

ppl need to research NFL and stop letting the “very” few good performances by rookies distort their view of what reality for most rookie QB are..

• Pie 1

33 minutes ago, X-Clown said:

I agree with most of the take except about dealing Burns and being better off by having the picks later on that would be used to find the next Burns. The number one advantage with a QB on his rookie deal is that you have him with the least amount of cap space he will ever take up if he ends up being your franchise guy. So why not surround him with proven players who you can afford to pay now while he is on the cheap contract, instead of crossing your fingers that those future picks are hits AND develop quickly enough to compete before you have to shell out a top of the market contract to your franchise QB?

When you want to develop and evaluate a rookie QB and see his progress over those first couple of rookie contract years there are a few of things that are critical.

#1. O-line protects him.

#2. Weapons around him are high end.

Burns is less important for evaluating Young in comparison to #1 and #2. But you MUST choose correctly. You can already see the problem developing and it's only week 1. The problem, which is going to be ongoing, is that our receivers are well below the league average for separation from coverage. This causes a critical evaluation problem for the Panthers staff. Do we blame Young, or the receivers? How can we know for sure who is to blame? If the problem were the receivers, then we could replace them with the Rams picks, and the Burns money later. And if Young doesn't play well with the better receivers, then it's a Young problem, and we have picks to replace him. If he improves, then we know we have our guy, and we can then address the pass rush. We can do just fine without an elite pass rusher if the passing offense sails down the field.  

What we have now is a 13 point type of offense, with Burns giving us a sack here and there. And we're going to being paying Burns a fortune, but I don't like the timing. Evaluating Young is top priority, and a pass rusher can be found later. 

We've made our bed at this point, and we're keeping Burns. That's ok but it comes at a price, and this is not how I would want to do things. It's not that I don't think Burns can be a top quality pass rusher in our 3-4, and it's not that I don't like Burns.

• Pie 1

26 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

No way.  We had 3 TOs on the road (4 if you can't the failed 4th down conversion).  On top of that our punt returned pinned us on the 1 yard line.  I remember plenty of games where Moore couldn't get separation until the game was already over.  What did Moore have yesterday with the Bears?

Moore had 2 receptions for 25 yards. Not exactly lighting the world on fire. Moore is a borderline #1 receiver/ great #2 receiver. He is not even close to the top receivers. Moore has many games last year where he disappeared.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, pantherj said:

When you want to develop and evaluate a rookie QB and see his progress over those first couple of rookie contract years there are a few of things that are critical.

#1. O-line protects him.

#2. Weapons around him are high end.

Burns is less important for evaluating Young in comparison to #1 and #2. But you MUST choose correctly. You can already see the problem developing and it's only week 1. The problem, which is going to be ongoing, is that our receivers are well below the league average for separation from coverage. This causes a critical evaluation problem for the Panthers staff. Do we blame Young, or the receivers? How can we know for sure who is to blame? If the problem were the receivers, then we could replace them with the Rams picks, and the Burns money later. And if Young doesn't play well with the better receivers, then it's a Young problem, and we have picks to replace him. If he improves, then we know we have our guy, and we can then address the pass rush. We can do just fine without an elite pass rusher if the passing offense sails down the field.  

What we have now is a 13 point type of offense, with Burns giving us a sack here and there. And we're going to being paying Burns a fortune, but I don't like the timing. Evaluating Young is top priority, and a pass rusher can be found later. 

We've made our bed at this point, and we're keeping Burns. That's ok but it comes at a price, and this is not how I would want to do things. It's not that I don't think Burns can be a top quality pass rusher in our 3-4, and it's not that I don't like Burns.

I disagree.. It’s a lot easier finding WR then it is a elite Pass Rusher.. It may be harder to evaluate BY this year but other QB have look comparable in this situation.. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Pazhoosier89 said:

Moore had 2 receptions for 25 yards. Not exactly lighting the world on fire. Moore is a borderline #1 receiver/ great #2 receiver. He is not even close to the top receivers. Moore has many games last year where he disappeared.

Just like always, he is completely erased when matched up on a decent corner. Jaire Alexander shut him down yesterday. 

His QB sucks, but he isn't a world beater. 

Both things can be true in that he's played with some horrible quarterbacks and he leaves a lot to be desired on the field.

Edited by therealmjl

8 minutes ago, mydaddysmamasdaddy said:

because people of the year 2023 want instant results.  same reason so many people fail at dieting.

careful with all that reasoning you have going on there.  sensible takes arent well received round these parts.  

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, recceice said:

I disagree.. It’s a lot easier finding WR then it is a elite Pass Rusher.. It may be harder to evaluate BY this year but other QB have look comparable in this situation.. 

Consider that we have two second round WRs on our team, and they don't get good separation. It's not that easy to find WRs. But I never said that it's easier to find an elite DE than WR, also Burns is playing OLB. it's more about priorities than which is easier to replace.