• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My 2 cents

Zod

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

We have holes.  2024 is when we make our move.  Bite the bullet and give the bears a top 10 pick

Ummm.... You think we can fix all of the problems we have in 1 year?? I'm not sure I would call 1 position on our team an area of strength (outside of punter and maybe kicker). In fact, I would say most of them are way below average

2 hours ago, Mage said:

His processing is special for a rookie QB.  I don't really know what you expect a QB to look in his first start.  Not everyone can have a statistical debut like Newton and RG3.

Young needs to recognize that DBs break on the ball faster in the NFL but other than that?  He looked the part.  His ability to read the field and be a playmaker was clear as day.  But agree to disagree.  I just think if you are expecting a rookie to QB that isn't dependent on athleticism to flash off the screen, then you may be disappointed for at least the first couple of weeks.  Burrow didn't exactly flash "No. 1 Overall Pick" in his debut game either, until you looked closer and saw he always displayed the traits that would translate week-to-week.  

This is the gospel summary.   The modern NFL demands elite processing ability.  It was evident in Young today. He is going to win us a lot of games.  

5 minutes ago, ClawOn said:

This is the gospel summary.   The modern NFL demands elite processing ability.  It was evident in Young today. He is going to win us a lot of games.  

He processed the ball to the other team twice. He got picked up twice by a non elite secondary player because he wasn't properly processing what he was seeing because he had it set in his head on one of those plays he was throwing it over the middle after counting to three no matter what. And the DB read it the whole way. 

I am high on Bryce long term. Today wasn't it though. It is hard for me to wrap my head around folks thinking he displayed ANY elite trait here on regularity. And he dropped in his performance majorly as the game went on. 

I still try not to judge too harshly. Its week one. Even Joe Burrow looked like a poor performing rookie today. Jordan Love threw 3 TDs despite completing like 50% of his passes. We lost to Ridder and he was king check down and barely threw any passes. Week 1 is weird. 

• Beer 2

People are fixating on the wrong things. The big exciting 53 yard strike that juices you up or the truck stick move on a 63 yard scamper. It’s not what you’re looking for.

he looked composed and he looked like he was in control. That’s a really good sign. the other stuff will come. Looked a bit like rookie Tua who just went off for nearly 500.

it would’ve potentially come sooner had they actually given him a lot of work in the preseason but they get cocky. 

Edited by Growl
  • Pie 5
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, Captroop said:

Good take. He looked fine for a rookie, but that's my worry.

He's good, but he didn't look like a superstar world beater. I'm slightly more pessimistic because I was hoping Bryce would rocket out of the gate and take the league by surprise, then he'd come back down to earth after 2 or 3 weeks when teams got tape on him. 

After a couple games, and other teams having tape on Bryce, and know how to exploit his game and physical limitations, I'm still worried he'll come back down to earth. So I'm just concerned what we saw today wasn't his floor. 

He had literally nobodies around him. Hard to succeed when you have zero help. 

3 hours ago, Zod said:

Anyone with half a brain knew this was going to be a losing season. A complete redo with a rookie QB. That isn't a recipe for immediate success.

However, for me, Bryce passed the eye test with flying colors. His first NFL start and he already looked as good or better than all QBs since 2019.

My main hope for this year is a healthy Bryce to play all season and next year we can actually compete.

He didn't ans a lot of it was the playbook. He missed on two deep throws and shouldn't have. Sanders is terrible. Fitterer is an awful gm whos got to go along with tepper

2 minutes ago, RumHam said:

He didn't ans a lot of it was the playbook. He missed on two deep throws and shouldn't have. Sanders is terrible. Fitterer is an awful gm whos got to go along with tepper

Sanders was fine, and had TMJ not slowed up on that ball it hits him in stride for a TD. 

• Pie 2

8 minutes ago, Growl said:

People are fixating on the wrong things. The big exciting 53 yard strike that juices you up or the truck stick move on a 63 yard scamper. It’s not what you’re looking for.

he looked composed and he looked like he was in control. That’s a really good sign. the other stuff will come. Looked a bit like rookie Tua who just went off for nearly 500.

it would’ve potentially come sooner had they actually given a lot of work in the preseason but they get cocky. 

Logic has no place in here, he was supposed to hit all those open WRs for big yardage and avoid all turnovers

• Pie 1

13 minutes ago, Varking said:

He processed the ball to the other team twice. He got picked up twice by a non elite secondary player because he wasn't properly processing what he was seeing because he had it set in his head on one of those plays he was throwing it over the middle after counting to three no matter what. And the DB read it the whole way. 

I am high on Bryce long term. Today wasn't it though. It is hard for me to wrap my head around folks thinking he displayed ANY elite trait here on regularity. And he dropped in his performance majorly as the game went on. 

I still try not to judge too harshly. Its week one. Even Joe Burrow looked like a poor performing rookie today. Jordan Love threw 3 TDs despite completing like 50% of his passes. We lost to Ridder and he was king check down and barely threw any passes. Week 1 is weird. 

Did he make rookie mistakes?  Yes.

Did he calmly progress through 3rd and 4th reads. Yes.

Our skill player cupboard is nearly bare. Give him some time. 

4 hours ago, frankw said:

It's important to find a healthy balance between some of the homers here and people like Ickmule.

Pretty much.  Honestly, I thought there were several moments where I said wow, we have a QB and then there were times i just said WTF was that.  

I believe he'll improve as each week goes on.  His receivers need to help him some.  That pass in the late fourth Qtr to Marshall is a TD if he didn't stop running.  

• Beer 1