• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Young vs first the round QBs

CRA

CJ Stroud: 63% comp, 242 pass yards, 20 rush, 1 FUM vs Ravens D.

A. Rich: 64% comp, 223 pass yards, 40 rush, 2 TDs, 1 INT vs Jags D

Young:  52% comp, 146 pass yards, 17 rush, 1 TD, 2 INTs vs Falcons D

All the rookies finished the day with a L but that’s to be expected. I clearly I think Bryce Young is the best passer of all the rookie QBs.   So, I think that’s is something this org should at least acknowledge.  The other 2 orgs did a better job setting their rookie QB up for some success in their debut.   I think those stats/productions are largely more about everyone and everything else around the QB.  Front office, coaching and talent. 

* hard to gauge the quality of opponent this early.  You would assume Stroud might have had the toughest challenge. 

• Pie 1

I dont think he's the best passer.  He was in college.  Pros is different, and I maintain that AR was better built for success as a pro, and I'm not just talking about because of stature.

It's not coincidence BY had the worst comp pct out of those guys, and it wasn't close.  He missed a ton of throws that were open and he also bailed on a lot of plays way earlier than he had to.  For a "super processor" he sure looked overwhelmed by what he was processing.  AR doesn't look like that, AT ALL.  I have a feeling that BY is about as close to a finished product as any of them are and his floor is actually lower than what was believed, while simultaneously having the lowest ceiling out of all of them as well.  It's not coaching...  it think we just made the wrong pick and it's why I didn't want him even before the college season was sover last year.

• Pie 3
  • Poo 7

6 minutes ago, CRA said:

CJ Stroud: 63% comp, 242 pass yards, 20 rush, 1 FUM vs Ravens D.

A. Rich: 64% comp, 223 pass yards, 40 rush, 2 TDs, 1 INT vs Jags D

Young:  52% comp, 146 pass yards, 17 rush, 1 TD, 2 INTs vs Falcons D

All the rookies finished the day with a L but that’s to be expected. I clearly I think Bryce Young is the best passer of all the rookie QBs.   So, I think that’s is something this org should at least acknowledge.  The other 2 orgs did a better job setting their rookie QB up for some success in their debut.   I think those stats/productions are largely more about everyone and everything else around the QB.  Front office, coaching and talent. 

* hard to gauge the quality of opponent this early.  You would assume Stroud might have had the toughest challenge. 

I can’t really support that the Colts or Texans have supported their QBs more than we have when you are talking talent, coaching staffs, etc. 

• Pie 1

And I was also thinking about this - look st ATLs roster and tell me you think that is a more complete roster than ours.  It's not.

There's this fallacy that our receivers don't get open, but they were open A LOT, and Bryce missed them.  The only proven legit threat the Falcons had was Pitts, the other guys have a lot of potential but aren't game changers.  And yet, we got beat by a team QBd by fuging Desmond Ridder.  He beat the #1 overall pick this year.  It wasn't coaching.  Bryce didn't have a lesser supporting cast.  Bryce just played like poo.  And for the most part, our team didn't look much different than Rhule's teams did.

• Pie 6
  • Poo 1

5 minutes ago, Varking said:

I can’t really support that the Colts or Texans have supported their QBs more than we have when you are talking talent, coaching staffs, etc. 

well, Young’s debut was noticeably less productive and efficient than theirs…. and likely had the easiest matchup and viewed as the most pro ready.

so if it’s not the coaching and talent around them players…what would you put the pretty stark difference most on? 

5 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

I dont think he's the best passer.  He was in college.  Pros is different, and I maintain that AR was better built for success as a pro, and I'm not just talking about because of stature.

It's not coincidence BY had the worst comp pct out of those guys, and it wasn't close.  He missed a ton of throws that were open and he also bailed on a lot of plays way earlier than he had to.  For a "super processor" he sure looked overwhelmed by what he was processing.  AR doesn't look like that, AT ALL.  I have a feeling that BY is about as close to a finished product as any of them are and his floor is actually lower than what was believed, while simultaneously having the lowest ceiling out of all of them as well.  It's not coaching...  it think we just made the wrong pick and it's why I didn't want him even before the college season was sover last year.

I think Richardson and Stroud have higher ceilings than Young 

But entering the league? I think Bryce is the best passer today.  I’m not talking arm talent.  Largely think he was just ahead of them upstairs. 

1 minute ago, frankw said:

Wait. AR whom some certain folks here would have had you believe couldn't hit the broad side of a barn had a higher completion percentage than Young? Well that's interesting.

And AR who some said was the prototype big body couldn’t even make it through 1 NFL game without getting injured while the kid everyone panicked would get broken, did

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

Just now, CRA said:

well, Young’s debut was noticeably less productive and efficient than theirs…. and likely had the easiest matchup and is the best passer. 

so if it’s not the coaching and talent around them players…what would you put the pretty stark difference most on? 

Bryce missed on some throws that would have definitely have helped. AR extended a bunch of plays that lead to some completions. Bryce looked like he had predetermined a few of his throws were going to a specific guy regardless of coverage once he counted to three in his head and one of them lead to an easy interception. I think he just had a few lapses in game one of his rookie year.