• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A little Steve Wilks news

Mr. Scot

12 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

No problem. I like Wilks but I was also open to a offensive HC. I just didn't think Frank should have been the hire. Hiring a HC who got fired just never made sense to me. This is Tepper we are dealing with so it is what it is.

Hope Frank does well, but so far he hasn't looked like he belongs. Then you have people saying don't expect playoffs for a few years is not giving me any confidence in him being a upgrade.

We will see how it goes.

Wasnt Doug Marone hired just after he was fired. It appears its going pretty okay for Philly with him. Sometimes coaches gain another level of knowledge they can utilize after being fired. Im not saying if Matt Rhule were rehired by another NFL team that it would go well as he is just a complete doofus but with some coaching minds it works out well like Marone.

12 hours ago, onmyown said:

Wilks the dinosaur thought PJ Walker was better than Darnold…

no thanks.

PJ Walker may be better in the long run who knows. Neither have proven much in their careers to this date. PJ though does not have a first round draft choice to live up to and expectations much lower so less pressure.

9 hours ago, rayzor said:

I like him, but I'd honestly be surprised. Two biggest things he's got going against him....his age and he's on the wrong side of the ball. To be a defensive coach making the leap to HC, you're going to have to be more of a dynamic presence. Demeco Ryans is going to become the standard.

anyways I think it's likely the next defensive coach to get a HC gig will be Evero. I think eithh

Also, with Wilks getting involved in that lawsuit plus having a role in this AZ thing is just going to make teams not lean towards him. There's other good candidates without that baggage.

The big IF there though is IF our defense looks okay this season. If we come out looking like crap I am guessing it will hurt Evero's chances big time.

• Pie 1

8 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Wilks really did get shafted out in AZ, and I was happy to have him as interim HC for us last year. It was nice having an adult at the helm again.

Having said all that, the track record of retaining Interim HCs in the NFL is not good, and after all was said and done, we were still only 3 years removed from his mentor/friend Ron Rivera. Keeping Wilks would have just felt like going backwards to "the good ol' days" of Rivera, and I didn't want that.

Plus I really don't think he could have put together a coaching staff like the one we have assembled here. I'd rather have Evero than Holcomb as my DC. I'd rather have Thomas Brown as my OC than whoever he would have chosen since Brian Johnson got promoted in Philly. We also have a wealth of knowledge by being able to bring in Dom Capers and Jim Caldwell due to Reich and Evero's relationships with them.

Then there's being able to bring Duce Staley as RB coach, McCown as QB Coach, the staff, on paper at least, is top notch and not something I think Wilks could have put together.

I understand why a lot of people wanted Wilks to stay coach, nostalgia and all, but I didn't want to start dating my ex gf's younger sister just because it felt comfortable.

Depends though, is your ex girlfriends younger sister better looking and how is she in the sack? Don't write off younger sis just yet, lets see how she shows her appreciation after taking her to the fanciest three star dive in town and letting her order desert as well.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Ricky Prickles said:

PJ Walker may be better in the long run who knows. Neither have proven much in their careers to this date. PJ though does not have a first round draft choice to live up to and expectations much lower so less pressure.

I’ll disagree. Darnold has superior talent and plays much better. We’ve seen it. Granted we are arguing top of the poo pile, but still there is a reason PJ was on practice squads and XFL instead of on a team until Rhule came in with his Temple favoritism BS.

Honestly though, and hence the dinosaur comment, Wilks probably doesn’t give a poo who is QB. We wants to win games 10-7. It’s why he can be a HC in todays league and neither can Rivera.

Personally I have no faith in Reich either. People want to complain about a round peg in a square hole mentality and that’s Reich offensively. However he has surrounded himself with excellent, young coordinator and coaching talent. Part of me feels he knows he needs it. Which in and of itself is why he is a at least a slightly better dinosaur to me. We shall see.

3 hours ago, Ricky Prickles said:

Yeah, unfortunately that law suit will do more to hurt his future chances than help and it will scare teams away thinking they will be next.

This of course will be too heavy for a lot of folks here to discuss responsibly but historically black coaches do not get many second and third chances at HC unlike their white counterparts. 

I feel like Wilks would have been a fine hire here but I have to give the edge to Reich because of the incredible staff he has assembled.