• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

RIP Bob Barker

ladypanther

Bob Barker, an unflappable television emcee who rode the airwaves into American living rooms for half a century, hosting holiday parades and beauty pageants, luring contestants into ludicrous stunts on the game show “Truth or Consequences” and presiding over the materialistic bacchanal of “The Price is Right,” died Aug. 26 at his home in Los Angeles. He was 99.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/obituaries/2023/08/26/bob-barker-price-is-right-obit/

When I was in college...I was in the jazz band.  Barker had a Truth or Consequences show that he did on the road, even after he was on The Price is Right.  That show came to the the town where I was and our jazz band played for him.  Played his themes and other stuff for the show.  After the show he came over to us, spent several minutes talking to us....giving compliments and thanking us.  Seemed sincere but of course you never know...maybe just good PR but I was impressed he took the time.  Many celebs just want to get the hell out of there asap.

• Pie 2

He did a lot of good as an animal rights activist and was also a vegetarian

"Bob's influence on the entertainment industry is indisputable, but what mattered to him most was using his voice and prominent position to protect animals. Of course, everyone is familiar with his 'spay and neuter your pets' sign-off on The Price Is Right -- a show where he refused to allow fur prizes -- but he was also one of the first stars to go vegetarian, more than 30 years ago," People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals said in a statement.

"He joined PETA in urging families to stay away from SeaWorld, demanded the closure of cruel bear pits masquerading as tourist attractions, implored Hollywood to take action to protect animals used in film and TV, and, as a Navy veteran, called for the end of military medical drills on live animals.

"His generous donation allowed PETA to open its West Coast headquarters, the Bob Barker Building, in 2012, and it stands as a testament to his legacy and profound commitment to making the world a kinder place. To us -- and to so many animals around the world -- Bob will always be a national animal rights treasure."

Legendary game show host, animal rights advocate Bob Barker dead at 99 (msn.com)

• Pie 1

Probably why his 10 things that makes Bob Barker angry Letterman top 10 list showed up on my YouTube feed this morning. Not the funniest one, but it was always just a joy to see him on TV.

I honestly say there trying to remember when it was he passed away and I couldn't remember how many years ago it was. I guess that's why I couldn't remember, it had only been a day.