• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mic hot in Panthers presser

TheCasillas

5 hours ago, Zod said:

FYI... Sports journalism is entertainment journalism. Clicks are king. You can spend a month writing a long form insightful article and no one will read it. A 5 minute hit piece? That will have traction.

It's not the fault of the reporters, they have to publish what people want to see.

I blame the ever dwindling attention span of the public. 

Attention span about the same with most news stories, local and national. People read the brief “hit” pieces and will not research to find the facts. 

Edited by Stuart Smith

On 8/21/2023 at 11:07 AM, csx said:

I'm convinced there is a lane and opportunity for someone to cover the sport with dignity but they would have to put effort into learning the subject matter. They could get good answers if they asked informed questions.

I remember years ago Tony Romo threw for 500 yards with 5 TDs and 1 INT.  The 1 INT set the Broncos up for the game winning field goal, and they won in a 51-48 shootout.  Jim Miller and Pat Kirwan did a very nice breakdown of the game and the particular play that Romo was picked off.  They set up the situation, the playcall and the pre-snap reads on offense and defense.  They took us threw every step of the play and everything that Romo was seeing and would have been thinking as he went thru his progressions.  They detailed the route combinations, the pass blocking scheme and execution as well as how the defense did in executing their assignments on the play.  They even took the time to let us know that Romo's left tackle was pushed back just enough that Romo stepped on his foot right as he was in his throwing motion, taking just enough off the pass to allow the Broncos player to make a diving interception.

I remember being at my friend's house and he turned on Steven A. Smith, who only gave the insight of "Romo choked again because that's what Romo does!"  Nothing else.  That was it.  And it probably made much more money to say that than the detailed explanation from Jim and Pat.  It sucks.

image.thumb.png.7ae2a4752b87fc3c7f2d05445cbe9c79.png