• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Not QB Rookies

jb2288

These preseason takes are getting out of hand so figured let's talk about the not Bryce rookies. 

Mingo - looks legit out there. He didn't do Bryce a favor by stopping on that beautiful side arm throw, but that'll come with reps and chemistry. Dude is THICK, expect many DJ Moore type bounce off corners and get 4 more yards plays

Zavala - watched all his snaps. Dude held his own in his very first NFL action with basically no training camp and coming off of an injury. Not gonna jump the gun, but if he can take a starting spot, we have guard locked down when Corbett is back and Brady can move to the swing tackle or backup G. He's got a way to go but I'm pretty happy. 

DJ - Think he had 1 tackle. Didn't see anything that really stood out but he wasn't getting bullied around and was setting the edge in the run. That's important in this scheme and he seems to excel at it even though it doesn't necessarily pop on the stats sheet. Already looking better than YGM tbh, getting more excited about this pick... if he can develop a halfway decent pass rush dude will be a very solid 3rd round pick. 

Jammie - honestly didn't watch him or remember him much, but that's not a bad thing for a secondary guy. His PFF grade was 80.3 for what it's worth

not rookie honorable mention: 

Kobe Jones - I'm a msu grad so bias but I think this dude makes the roster. He is definitely better than YGM and has a great work ethic. Think he has a really good shot. 

Side note: Is Bumper Pool still on the team? I don't remember hearing his name the past 2 games. 

• Pie 6

I'll say for a lot of the crap the DJ Johnson pick got (and process wise, I get it) I have been pleasantly surprised by him. He's been pretty stout in the run game from what I've seen and I've seen some flashes in pash rush or just being in the right spot at least. He at least seems to be a guy who is catching on quickly. 

I'm excited for Mingo and even if it's not immediately, I'd love to see him become the Alpha in the WR room. He has the right physical traits to do so. 

And honestly the only other non-Bryce rookie I'm excited about is Zavala. I was super happy to hear that he held his own for the most part playing out of position technically, after missing the bulk of camp. I genuinely think he's the future at LG, maybe as soon as next year if not earlier. That's not a slight to Brady as much as it is what I think Zavala can be. 

• Pie 4

5 minutes ago, jb2288 said:

Just rewatched the last quarter since I turned it off last night… what’s the deal with Cam Peoples? Has he seen the field yet? I thought he’d fight for that RB3 spot 

Good point. I don't remember seeing him get a single snap this preseason. Guessing we're trying to stash him on the PS. 

21 minutes ago, BlackPanther22 said:

I'll say for a lot of the crap the DJ Johnson pick got (and process wise, I get it) I have been pleasantly surprised by him. He's been pretty stout in the run game from what I've seen and I've seen some flashes in pash rush or just being in the right spot at least. He at least seems to be a guy who is catching on quickly. 

I'm excited for Mingo and even if it's not immediately, I'd love to see him become the Alpha in the WR room. He has the right physical traits to do so. 

And honestly the only other non-Bryce rookie I'm excited about is Zavala. I was super happy to hear that he held his own for the most part playing out of position technically, after missing the bulk of camp. I genuinely think he's the future at LG, maybe as soon as next year if not earlier. That's not a slight to Brady as much as it is what I think Zavala can be. 

Yep, I can’t complain about any of our draft picks at this point. If we get 3 starters and 2 depth guys I’ll be really happy 

• Pie 2

thanks OP, good to hear some positives....I'm really hoping Zavala is the guy.  Whether or not Bryce is the guy, we need to build a very strong OL to protect our QB.

There are 4 positions I want us to draft every year if possible:  OL, DL, CB and WR.  Vets at those positions are expensive, keeping fresh young guys even as depth will help the team in the long run.  The bottom of the depth chart at those positions can always be improved.

Edited by Captain Morgan
  • Beer 1

Appreciate the focused player chat and just not general "we suck" meme-ish stuff.  

They were definitely testing the interior OL's run blocking and it seemed Zavala held his own.  He didn't push but he was pretty resilient and didn't get blown back much at all.  Seemed to win more than he lost.

Mingo seems like he could be getting a lot more snaps than expected early on.  He looked very comfortable.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, BlackPanther22 said:

Brah! Giving me hope, well said!

• Beer 2

3 hours ago, Bear Hands said:

Appreciate the focused player chat and just not general "we suck" meme-ish stuff.  

They were definitely testing the interior OL's run blocking and it seemed Zavala held his own.  He didn't push but he was pretty resilient and didn't get blown back much at all.  Seemed to win more than he lost.

Mingo seems like he could be getting a lot more snaps than expected early on.  He looked very comfortable.

Yep he’s looking ahead of schedule. I’m expecting 800 yards this year 

Speaking of rookie guards, I have a feeling that we will see a lot more of Nash Jensen's name being mention in the next game. It seems like they really love his potential and really trying to rotate each game to give everyone a fair shot at the starting guard position. I honestly hope he develops into a Andrew Norwood type story .

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

14 hours ago, methodtoll said:

Speaking of rookie guards, I have a feeling that we will see a lot more of Nash Jensen's name being mention in the next game. It seems like they really love his potential and really trying to rotate each game to give everyone a fair shot at the starting guard position. I honestly hope he develops into an Andrew Norwood type story .

I’ll take all the help we can get at guard lol