• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurricane season

Paa Langfart

1 hour ago, thefuzz said:

LOL.

Got a LONG list of memorable ones, but Floyd and Fran were the worst.  Carnage.

I've lived at the beach my entire life (other than college), and I've been here for all of them, never evacuated.  Also was a firefighter, so never could evacuate if I wanted to.

4 feet of water in my house in Bertha, fixed it up, and 6 feet in Fran a few weeks later.  Rescued families off their rooftops in boats during Floyd.  Slept in a bank vault overnight at Wrightsville Beach during one of them.  Knocking on every door for mandatory evacuation, fighting fire in the middle of the night during 100 mph winds, going 14 days with no power.

Yea, I've got some memories of those GD things.  This afternoon I'll fill up 30 gallons worth of gas cans, and change the oil in the generator.  I usually do it every Aug 15, but got busy last week.

We appreciate your service. Risking your life to save others you're a good man.

Hopefully we don't get any hurricanes this year. If we do hopefully they don't cause any major damage.

• Pie 3

20 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

hurricane Floyd in 1999 

I lived a stones throw from Pages Creek and could hear the ocean waves from the Atlantic on any quiet evening.  My wife and I moved our dogs and the neighbor's dog ( they were elderly and evacuated to their daughter's place in Goldsboro ) and ourselves to my shop which I had built myself and made tough enough to withstand  a 1 or 2 cat.  Our home was a tiny crackerbox built in 1933 and not heavy construction at all.  Seemed for forever for the storm to come in and it literally rained nonstop for several hours. 
When the eye came over we took the dogs out in mid shin deep water to use the bathroom and then got back inside.  We were listening to WECT on the radio and I can remember these poor girls calling into wect and talking to the meterologist George elliot over the air saying how bad it was getting and George saying something to the effect of " its all right girls the back side of this storm will be easy. " About that time we started geting hammered sticks pinecones and limbs bludgeoning my shop and hearing big trees coming down some of which you could feel through the shop floor as they hit the ground.  Turns out old George Elliot was wrong on that one.

The one that I remember with some humor was the Bertha in 1996.  As the eye passed over,  me and a couple neighbors went out into the road with chainsaws to clear the road of a downed tree for emergency vehicles if need be.  From down the road came a woman driving like a nut and she had to stop as she got to us.  We aked her where she was going and she said " to the store to get diapers".  We warned her that we were in the eye and the backside would be on us soon but she headed on down the road.  I don't know if she made it back home or not that day because it was only a few minutes before we started getting the eyewall and back of the storm.

Edited by Paa Langfart
  • Pie 1

3 hours ago, thefuzz said:

going 14 days with no power.

I went 10 days after Fran.  The whole street cheered when we saw the Florida Power and Light trucks heading our way.  They had restored power to everyone and were about ready to leave and after I reinstalled the old fuse breaker into the box at my place,  I still had not power.  I flagged down a couple of the FPL guys just as they were getting ready to leave - turns out my house was the last house on one of the transformers and there was a break in the line that wasn't visible from the ground that they hadn't seen.  Was so nice to take a shower again without moving the generator to the pump house and cranking it up.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

One thing you won’t hear is that vibrio is going to become much worse than it already is with all of these hurricanes around the corner.

Those who live specifically near the gulf have known about vibrio for quite a while but now a lot of the U.S. is going to start to become more familiar with the disease.

When these hurricanes come in and bring a high concentration of warm water with them, they leave behind a breeding ground for vibrio in the form of stagnant flood waters.

Personally, I won’t get in the ocean with any cuts on my body and I won’t touch any raw seafood from any state south of Maryland right now.

Edited by MillionDollarCam

I’ve lived in Wilmington for 70 years and if I never see another hurricane it’s a blessing.

As other of my coastal neighbors have mentioned, it’s nerve racking. Why do so many come when it’s dark ? ( actually it’s because they are so f’ing huge , it can take over 12 hours from the start till it’s gone.  ) 

Like others have mentioned, I can hear the ocean from my house in the mornings ( not later due to traffic on S College Rd lol ) 

When you finally get power back on,, your whole world changes.. all of a sudden you have your life ( hot shower lol ) back. It is sooooo good that you can almost forget about others who still are without. 

Many hurricanes that have hit Wilmington, were much stronger when out at sea than when they actually hit us.  Once one crosses the Gulf Stream they loose intensity. Go from Cat 3 to maybe a 2or 1. 
I am not stupid. I will leave town with a Cat 4 .  But the thing is,, when you finally realize it’s going to not weaken, it’s already been on top of you for 2-4 hours. 

picture worth 1000 words,, when you finally see the power truck on your street  🙂 

F6C0596A-DB21-4F1A-BC42-D3D988C148F6.jpeg

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, OceanPanther said:

As other of my coastal neighbors have mentioned, it’s nerve racking. Why do so many come when it’s dark ? ( actually it’s because they are so f’ing huge , it can take over 12 hours from the start till it’s gone.  ) 

Don't know if you remember Bonnie in 1998- damn thing came in and stayed pretty much stationary for several hours.  Where I was, up in Middle Sound, we were in and out of the eye wall and eye all night long as the storm wobbled around.  That was a long night.

• Beer 1