• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurricane season

Paa Langfart

Yep it's about that time of the year.  The eastern and central Pacific has already had several major hurricanes and it looks like Hurricane Hilary is actually going to have serious effects on southern California, Arizona, and Nevada which is highly unusual if not unprecedented.

Thankfully NOAA doesn't expect much out of Six or the system developing over the central Atlantic, but we're just getting started.  I bet this will be one of those years where we're getting named storms well into the fall.

8 hours ago, The NFL Shield At Midfield said:

it looks like Hurricane Hilary is actually going to have serious effects on southern California, Arizona, and Nevada which is highly unusual if not unprecedented.

It's rare for that part of the world to get hit. The last time was in 1939. In 67 and 97, the area was hit with the remnants of tropical storms.

• Pie 1

12 hours ago, bigjohn said:

Water hot as fire, not good.

Supposedly El Nino makes for more wind shear which isn't favorable for hurricane development.

Goodness I hope not. We just moved to the coast last fall, had a hurricane the day after we moved in.

I keep confusing El Niño and La Niña.  You are right, El Niño should cause more wind shear but looking at the Atlantic… El Niño is slacking.  Hopefully none of these will develop into a monster.

What hurricane was the most memorable to you?

I have 2, hurricane Floyd in 1999 and hurricane Florence in 2018.

I remember FIoyd was a kid. All I remember is my family huddled together in the highschool basketball gym. It was crowded and people were hot. Don't remember how long we stayed in there but I remember the first time my family having to evacuate to another place during a hurricane.

Florence sticks out because of how long it stayed over NC just producing massive amounts of rain. Felt like the longest hurricane I ever experienced.

3 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

I remember FIoyd was a kid. All I remember is my family huddled together in the highschool basketball gym. It was crowded and people were hot. Don't remember how long we stayed in there but I remember the first time my family having to evacuate to another place during a hurricane.

Florence sticks out because of how long it stayed over NC just producing massive amounts of rain. Felt like the longest hurricane I ever experienced.

For me, like a lot of people from Charlotte, it's gotta be the big one: Hurricane Hugo in '89.  One of my earliest memories is that storm and its aftermath.

One of the other ones I remember is Tropical Storm Beryl in 1994.  We were in Hickory then and I distinctly remember watching a funnel cloud spin over my parents' house.

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, The NFL Shield At Midfield said:

For me, like a lot of people from Charlotte, it's gotta be the big one: Hurricane Hugo in '89.  One of my earliest memories is that storm and its aftermath.

One of the other ones I remember is Tropical Storm Beryl in 1994.  We were in Hickory then and I distinctly remember watching a funnel cloud spin over my parents' house.

And 2 months later I was born after Hugo hit.lol

17 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

LOL.

Got a LONG list of memorable ones, but Floyd and Fran were the worst.  Carnage.

I've lived at the beach my entire life (other than college), and I've been here for all of them, never evacuated.  Also was a firefighter, so never could evacuate if I wanted to.

4 feet of water in my house in Bertha, fixed it up, and 6 feet in Fran a few weeks later.  Rescued families off their rooftops in boats during Floyd.  Slept in a bank vault overnight at Wrightsville Beach during one of them.  Knocking on every door for mandatory evacuation, fighting fire in the middle of the night during 100 mph winds, going 14 days with no power.

Yea, I've got some memories of those GD things.  This afternoon I'll fill up 30 gallons worth of gas cans, and change the oil in the generator.  I usually do it every Aug 15, but got busy last week.

• Pie 1

Ah, one of my favorites.  Waking a buddy up in the middle of the night and telling him and his parents to grab as much as they could carry, and go get in the bucket of a front end loader out front.

Water was 2' deep in his house while they slept, and it was rising 1' per hour.  They were the lucky ones.

Next morning I was running a jon boat down the highway in 8 feet of water, hit the top of a Ford Excursion that had been left during flooding.  No idea if the owners made it.  I still can't believe that Eastern NC looked the way it did.