• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Playoffs or bust

NAS

11 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

All I say is this.  Wilks took over a stagnant team, and within two weeks with another man's coaches the team looked completely different.  The players believed in Wilks and at the very least we saw effort.  If players are playing with max effort and you lose, it's easier to spot where the team needs to improve.  Secondary and QB is all we needed.  There was no effort yesterday.  Zero. It's hard to even know what to improve if guys aren't even trying. I know it's preseason, but at least try to establish the run to keep Bryce out of the dirt.  

Also why would a first year coach not try to execute any plays in the preseason.  What are we hoping?  That the team is just going to execute perfectly in week 1 without ever performing the plays in a legit simulation?  How do you even evaluate the back end of the roster without seeing if they can retain information and execute plays?  I'm not buying that excuse.

Tepper wouldn't know a good football decision even if it was already on payroll.  

Wilks beat 4 teams with losing records and 2 with only 1 game above .500. He also became a reason why we missed the playoffs. Stop bringing up Wilks.

Edited by KillerKat

1 hour ago, onmyown said:

Lol playoffs for a rookie qb and first year coach. Man I thought the embarrassing, moronic, knee jerk casual fan fire everyone threads would come after our first couple losses…looks like I was sadly mistaken.

I'm pretty sure Fitt and Reich both said they're expecting to win this year.  You're giving them a pass even when they say they should be competing for the division title?

4 hours ago, NAS said:

I am talking about expectations for the season. 

Wilks almost made the playoffs and won 7 games with less talent overall.

Some are saying not to expect playoffs with more talent, an upgrade at QB and significant investment in coaching and assistants.

I refuse to downgrade my expectations and I hope Tepper doesn’t either.

The apologists are ramping up the 3 year wait and see train.

For the amount invested in offensive coaching and QB, there should be no room for 0 points in a single game. Points must occur in season 1. Defenses must not dominate the Panthers. The Panthers must convert at the top of the league for 1st downs, redzone attempts, and drives beyond the 50 yard line.

If not, the Panthers would have been better off with a defensive coach and an average offense.

Week to week improvement is a must in year 1. Bottom of the league in offense in year 1 is unacceptable.

The Panthers were at the top of the NFL in offensive drives/points scored: Capers top 10 offense yr 2 with Kerry Collins. Seifert top 10 offense yr 1 with Steve Beuerlein. Fox top 15 offense yr 2 with Jake Delhomme. Rivera top 10 offense yr 1 with Cam Newton. Wilks top 20 offense yr 1 with Sam Darnold.

Are we going to lessen these expectations for an offensive coaching staff and the most costly #1 pick rookie QB in NFL history? Is it acceptable for Reich and Young to produce like Rhule & Bridgewater or worse? Only 2 defensive coaches had to take it to year 2 with inexperienced QBs under center. Apparently, neither Collins or Delhomme were at the same cerebral level as Young.

Don't downgrade your expectations. They should be higher than any previous Panthers coach/QB combo.

Delhomme would have been tossed quickly in 2 weeks if he performed like Young or Corral in a preseason game. Anyone want to argue against this? How long does Delhomme get to fail at QB in 2003 before the Panthers move on?

11 hours ago, NAS said:

Wilks almost made the playoffs and won 7 games with less talent overall.

Sorry man but he got blown out by the team that went to the playoffs and got blown out. If we had gone, the score could have easily been 56-0 and we may have been praying for a mercy rule. The 22' NFCS was one of the worst divisions the NFL has ever seen. Winning it wasn't winning anything. Against any other division, we wouldn't have even sniffed the playoffs. 

Here's something to think about for all of you doom and gloomers out there:

2022 Preseason Recap

27-11 L against Raiders

24-13 L against Browns 

16-15 L against Steelers

28-12 L against Falcons

That was the scores of the Jacksonville Jaguars... Who went on to the playoffs and barely missed being in the AFC title game. 

Oh... And who coaches that team? Doug Pederson.... Whom Frank Reich worked under in Philly.

Just saying, take Preseason with a grain of salt. It's more about evaluating than it is winning. Yeah, the offensive line struggling is concerning but we are in transition of two new schemes on both sides of the ball so there will be growing pains.... Give them time and be patient. 

On 2/1/2023 at 8:36 AM, OldhamA said:

On 7/6/2023 at 8:20 AM, TheMaulClaw said:

• Pie 1

16 hours ago, NAS said:

With the coaching staff that Frank Reich has assembled, anything less than a playoff appearance should be considered a failure. 

The terrible performance we saw yesterday makes me question if Frank has this coaching staff working as a team or if there are too many cooks in the kitchen and not enough of accountability.  

And no it’s not an overreaction, I don’t even care if we win or lose in preseason. But let’s not sugar coat thing.  Every team plays their scrubs in the preseason but don’t look like complete incompetence.  In fact, I am more angry today, having processed the game, than I was yesterday. 

Better figure it out quickly Frank!  The honeymoon is over.

I understand the sentiment, and I agree, the performance was unacceptable, even accepting it was a preseason game.

That being said, I'm not putting much weight into it.  He just matched up against a Jets team that has been under Salah and his system for 2 or 3 years now and ate known for their aggressive, top ranked defense.  And yes, we have an all-star staff, but they literally just assembled it this offseason.  Despite previous connections, it was literally their first game against another team and staff...  just as it takes players time to figure out a system and gel, it will be the same process for the coaching staff, especially with a few guys in prominent positions who are there for the first time.  So, I'll give some grace, but ngl, that showing was not encouraging at all.  But you know what?  There is still hope.  We have a staff full of professionals.  The last 3 years we had ZERO hope because we had a fuging staff full of dumbass, phony college car salesmen.  Hold on to hope.  I still believe we are playoff bound, but I definitely need to see more this week.

• Pie 2

21 hours ago, Navy_football said:

Not in season one. That's not realistic or fair. By year two, we should start to see some major improvements show up in the wins/losses column. This year is an introduction to a new way of doing things. I'd expect to see a slow start out the gate, that picks up towards the end of the season. Probably go on a good winning streak at the end and just miss the playoffs. 

It's pretty realistic with this asstastic division. The defense should be damn solid, the offense shouldn't be the worst passing offense in the NFL. So yeah, it's realistic.