• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Beatles

tarheelblue89

the beatles clearly are the only band that can make this claim :rolleyes:

You're refuting a statement I didn't make. I never said they were the only band that could make that claim. I said they aren't overrated. It's not a coincidence that 40 years after they broke up their music is still relevant.

The Beatles were great, but I agree with whoever said they were a pop band. Shouldn't take anything away from their songwriting skills though. I grew up listening to The Beatles almost everyday...my dad was a Beatles freak. So I know every song they've ever made by heart. But if I had to choose between listening to The Beatles or Led Zepplin...I'm going with Led Zepplin everytime. And guess what? I couldn't care less if they ripped off all their poo. Another great influential band that probably won't get the true props they deserve are Black Sabbath.

Speaking of Black Sabbath, Led Zepplin, The Rolling Stones and The Beatles...why the fug are all the GREAT rock bands English??? Other than Gun N' Roses and maybe Metallica...I don't think there are any bands from the US that are on the same level as the aforementioned bands. And I didn't even mention Queen, who I think are another GREAT band.

Page re-made a traditional English folk song and should apologize for it? Really? Ever heard of Whiskey in the Jar (a traditional Irish folk song)? Arguably Thin Lizzy's most well-known song. Did they have to apologize for it? Nope...and I don't think Bert Jansch apologized for his “Blackwaterside” cover of the same English folk song Page recorded as Black Mountain Side.

When the topic is LZ, it's called plagiarism....change the artist to Kid Rock or any number of rappers and it's just "sampling"...which is somehow considered a different "art form".

Yes, they generally call it "plagiarism" when you try to pass the work off as your own and don't pay the original artist (or credit them, of course).

Just like they so unfairly call it "theft" when you don't pay for the item and try to pass it off as your own.

Pathetic.

Speaking of Black Sabbath, Led Zepplin, The Rolling Stones and The Beatles...why the fug are all the GREAT rock bands English??? There aren't any bands from the US that are on the same level as the aforementioned bands. And I didn't even mention Queen, who I think are another GREAT band.

fixed

Metallica and Guns N' Roses (as much as I like Gun N' Roses) shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as those English bands.

Harrison told the Chicago Tribune in an interview that he is "working on 'Rock Band 3' and making the controllers more real so people can actually learn how to play music while playing the game".

That's a great idea! I like the Beatle brat already. I can't believe it took the scion of a George Harrison to make that innovative leap (or maybe it makes sense, I don't care). But if they do that, I might actually play this one.

What other band that has been around since the early 60s or before can make this claim as well?

I'd say the Rolling Stones, the Who, LZ, etc....they all easily fit the criteria of bands that are "widely loved for going on four generations".

Hell, the Who and the Stones have been making music since then, and the Beatles broke up in 1970, but they didn't just come out with Rock Band: The Who and a remastered Who box set to incredible sales.

So video games are now that standard of what makes a band great?

Yes, they generally call it "plagiarism" when you try to pass the work off as your own and don't pay the original artist (or credit them, of course).

Outside of Willie Dixon who sued to be paid royalties and have the writing credit corrected, I don't think any of those examples in the link you posted have a leg to stand on. Considering that no one else has felt they've been ripped off, I'd guess that's true. Ten examples out of 10 albums...yes they certainly never wrote anything of their own and are just a cover band. :rolleyes:

Archived