• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

MW2 Hacker Threat

Hotsauce

Ok,

So I am playing a group of British Kids the other night. I am playing them pretty well (about 15 kills a game), and between matches they are talking smack. Then, I start getting all these threats from them that they are going to hack my account. They sent me voice messages and texts.

For the Xbox nerds out there, what can someone do to hack ones account? What are the implications, how can they mess up my Xbox? Are there saftey features that I can put in place (My NAT Setting is Strict). I am not the type of homer that reports people, but how would someone go about doing that if I wanted to?

Its been a couple of days and I dont think anything has happend. Just curious in the future.

Ok,

So I am playing a group of British Kids the other night. I am playing them pretty well (about 15 kills a game), and between matches they are talking smack. Then, I start getting all these threats from them that they are going to hack my account. They sent me voice messages and texts.

For the Xbox nerds out there, what can someone do to hack ones account? What are the implications, how can they mess up my Xbox? Are there saftey features that I can put in place (My NAT Setting is Strict). I am not the type of homer that reports people, but how would someone go about doing that if I wanted to?

Its been a couple of days and I dont think anything has happend. Just curious in the future.

There is absolutely nothing they can do to you. One popular scam going around, however is this: People offer to rank up your account (ie, make you a 70 in MW or a General in Halo 3) in exchange for a 1-year Xbox Live Subscription Card. You turn over your account, they do their thing, then you can retrieve your account. A lot of people actually DO this on the level, but many will then hold your gamer tag ransom.

They can't hack your xbox with a virus or anything like that. Xbox Live connects via Microsoft servers and their encryption is really good.

Anywho, to report someone, hit the middle button of your xbox controller, scroll to "Friends" and bring that up. Once there, hit right on your joystick and it should bring you to a list of people you've recently played against. Select the name of the individual and then scroll down to "File Complaint." Follow the prompts from there.

They probably can't do anything. If there was one thing they could do, they could find a way to phish or steal your account info and sell it or use the credit card(s) that you might have attached to your account. There's actually a few hacking/warez forums that sell that kind of stuff for almost nothing. (Pretty sickening, but I can give links via-PM if your curious.)

I've read articles in the past couple of years that people will listen to what each other talk about while online to get key info. about a person to slowly piece together where a person lives, their name, age and all the other necessary info. to log on to someone's LIVE account. You'd be surpirised the way a thief can piece together a person's identity.

Ok,

Its much to do about nothing, and btw make your nat restrictions open for xbox live it will help you find better matches. Having a strict nat will stop a hacker about as well as a shield blocks a Semtex stick in mw2(that's not at all in case you were wondering)

Its much to do about nothing, and btw make your nat restrictions open for xbox live it will help you find better matches. Having a strict nat will stop a hacker about as well as a shield blocks a Semtex stick in mw2(that's not at all in case you were wondering)

Cant figure out how to change my NAT settings...I have a DSL modem and have gone on the IP settings page...still wont fix my problem! Its a beast trying to connect to a game, the only way I connect to games is by joining a friends game.

Cant figure out how to change my NAT settings...I have a DSL modem and have gone on the IP settings page...still wont fix my problem! Its a beast trying to connect to a game, the only way I connect to games is by joining a friends game.

there's ports you gotta open for xbox live.

Is your DSL Modem one of those modem/router combo things? if so, just start up your xbox, goto settings->network settings->manual config, figure out which 192.168.0/1.??? IP you have. write it down, and then go into your NAT settings for your modem. and set port forwards for these ports

"The Xbox Live service uses UDP ports 88 and 3074 as well as TCP port 3074"

If it's a modem connected to the separate router then make sure you do it on the router. and sometimes you need to do it on the modem too.

http://www.mlgpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137247

Step by step instructions on how to open your NAT. Don't be overwhelmed by the length of the post, it should only be around 5-7 steps to open it, there's just different steps for different brands.

Also, beware, some people create gamer tags that look like they would be from microsoft (ex: XboxLiveHelp, etc) and send you messages stating you've been reported by other users and that you must supply them with your email and password to be reinstated to play. That's the only way I've heard of people having their accounts "hacked." Microsoft/Xbox Live will never ask for your password.

Archived