• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Moore not the answer for the future

Hairless Cat

Been said before- I know. But our top off season aquisitions have to be first - a franchise level QB and then a viable #2 and # 3 receiver.

and Smitty is beginning to look long in the tooth to me.

There's no franchise level QB available in free agency next season. Only placeholders at best, and some of those are a big gamble. These guys don't grow on trees.

If we manage to draft a rookie high (which I hope we do) I don't want him thrown into the fire. Sign a stopgap and let him play until the rookie can be eased in (which might not be until the following year).

I think trying anything is better than the status quo that we have right now. I dont see why a rookiecouldnt be better than what we have now. Other teams have done it and been successful. Why not us?

We need to get rid of all our receivers but Smith and start over. Even start over with our Te's but give Rosario another year.

If we manage to draft a rookie high (which I hope we do) I don't want him thrown into the fire. Sign a stopgap and let him play until the rookie can be eased in (which might not be until the following year).

There is interesting counters to this theory. Long story short is that there is no statistical proof the 'sitting for a year' method is more viable than being thrown into the fire. In fact the statistics seem to sugest that the more the QB plays in his first year, the more the stats negate this theory.

An early pick, with a decent supporting cast (Oline, RBs, WRs) gains little from sitting. The later picks seem to benefit a little more from sitting.

Obviously this is a very simple method of testing the QBs, but it certainly puts a new light on the theory of sitting QBs.

http://www.advancednflstats.com/2009/05/should-rookie-qbs-start.html

I'm not giving up on MM yet. I like a lot of what i see but was pissed a little yesterday by some of the misses. He just needs more reps for me to get a good read. Hopefully Fox doesn't put Jake back in and screw up this whole process. Give the guy a chance to grow up a little over the next 3 games and then make the call.

We need an analytical pure pocket passer who is, first and foremost, accurate.

This penchant for backup-starter qb hybrids needs to stop.

No Jake. No Moore!

If Panthers fans want to experience something similar to what we have had the last three years, then Moore is our guy. If we actually want to take it to the next level, where we are consistently in the playoffs every season, as opposed to every other season (or worse), then we are going to have to build around a QB that actually has the ability to strike fear in the hearts of the opposition---from the players to the coaches to the fans---when they drop back to pass and heave the rock. Moore is not that guy.

What more needs to be said?

As for no franchise level QB being available, I guess that it depends on what you believe that a franchise level QB represents. Looking at the histories of guys like Brady and Brees (and to a much lesser extent even Flacco and Henne), I think that there may be some diamonds in the rough coming out of the draft and in free agency. Guys like Tim Hiller (in particular), Ryan Perriloux, John Skelton, T-Jax or Troy Smith simply just shouldn't be dismissed out of hand.

Moore is a better option than Delhomme.

That said, I hope we draft a QB in the offseason and possibly pick up a FA to compete with McCown, Moore, Feeley, and Cantwell for Roster spots.

Moore doesn't impress me, and I am not certain that his presence is going to allow us to either run it or exploit a stacked box.

I think Moore is a better option right now too, as I did all year... My problem is, after yesterday, I'm not sure if he is the long term answer. He was erratic on the first drive, but after he settled down he made some really good throws.

Now, here is where my problem comes in, throughout the rest of the game, I don't know if it was the rain and conditions, but it seemed like several balls floated on him or lacked zip where he was trying to fit it into a small window. (I know it was a run-on grammar hammers.)

It's very likely that the ball was weighted down and slick from the rain and cold weather. I don't know, I hope that's the case, because some of those throws were so slow and lacked zip that it looked like a totally different QB from last week. The performance just kind of left me with more questions than answers.

I think Moore did fine overall yesterday, his QB rating was 8 points higher than Brady's.

He comes in at end of year, team is banged up, second start on the Road vs. Patriots. It was Cold, Rainy and windy. Not exactly ideal throwing conditions and he still did better than Jake has done this year.

I hope we either draft someone high or find a good FA pickup. But I think Moore should be given opportunity to win starting job in camp. If anything, in a run first team especially, he could be as effective as Delhomme was at his peak as a 'game manager' type. He could be a placeholder till we get that Franchise caliber QB.

I think Moore did fine overall yesterday, his QB rating was 8 points higher than Brady's.

He comes in at end of year, team is banged up, second start on the Road vs. Patriots. It was Cold, Rainy and windy. Not exactly ideal throwing conditions and he still did better than Jake has done this year.

I hope we either draft someone high or find a good FA pickup. But I think Moore should be given opportunity to win starting job in camp. If anything, in a run first team especially, he could be as effective as Delhomme was at his peak as a 'game manager' type. He could be a placeholder till we get that Franchise caliber QB.

At no point in the game did he look like he is in command of the offense. He did not lead us on any drives in the second half. Brady was much more effective moving the ball.

Moore has not shown the ability to move the ball or call his own plays like in a no-huddle. The only decent drive he has put together was the first drive against tampa where everything was scripted.. He looks like he is out there not trying to screw up rather than trying to win the game. I would rather have a guy who take chances and trys to win the game, than someone who helps us lose respectably but has no chance of winning the game.

Averaging 14 1/2 points a game on offense isn't going to beat anyone in this league.

Archived