• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Calling All Pool Sharks

walt227

I just recently bought a table and need some advice on buying a cue. I would definitely consider myself a novice, but I want to buy something worth keeping.

My father-in-law let me borrow his Meucci---awesome, but I want my own.

Some I'm considering:

McDermott

Viking

Predator

Josey (custom---looking for a "used" sneaky pete)

Any advice?

Just starting out by house sticks. Why? Because that way you wont screw up a nice stick once you learned how to play then buy a nice stick. Two things on that you will notice a remarkable difference in the feel of the stick which will help your game. Secondly if your good with a house stick you will kick ass with a custom. As far as name brand dont know never really bought a highend stick.

For name brand cues nothing is better than McDermott imo(free repairs for life too).

But Squirrel is right, before you spend 100s of dollars you should know exactly what you want. Weight and width are key. A heavier cue will generally give you better accuracy to start off with but once your aim is good then a lighter cue will help you control your speed. A wider tip will strike the ball easier but you'll control the ball better with a thinner tip. Basically a beginner needs a heavier/wider cue and as you get better you start going lighter/thinner.

I'd get a cheap($50-$75) Players cue at first and then get something more expensive down the road once you figure out exactly what you like. Then you can use the Players as a break cue.

my wife and I played alot of pool when we first met. We now proudly own the world's most expensive laundry folding table!!!! We hardly ever use the damn thing, which is really unfortunate as it is a beautiful table.

Anyway, we both bought Cuetec fiberglass/wood composites and they are great cues. I do agree with the previous though, play around with some cheap house sticks first until you determine which weight is best for you and go from there. Make sure you actually use the table for longer than the next couple of months too!

Thanks, guys. I've heard the same from others as well. A friend had a pool table years ago and I remember always going for the 21oz. Seems like every nice stick I've picked up recently is a 19---standard weight I suppose.

I might just order a couple of these and pick up something nice in a few months:

http://www.billiards.com/pool-cues/blue-model-68

McDermott E Series: 1990 to 1999

Go down to the E-B9, that's the one I bought. Exact coloring with the Irish linen wrap. 19.5 oz / 13mm tip. Didn't realize cues appreciated. Says, based on 98% condition. Mine makes that easy. Might have to hang on to mine.

I also have a nice Joe Porper cue case. Took a bunch of pics. Need to get them on my photobucket page....don't think I can attach them here.

EB9.jpg

It depends entirely on how much you want to spend and how serious you are going to be about the game. If you just want your own distinctive cue, the any cue you like will do. The most important thing is that you are comfortable with it, and that you have a good tip. You can skimp on the stick, but do not skimp on the tip. Whatever you buy, you should replace the original tip with a new one. They person who puts on the tip will be able to shape it correctly, which is not done at the factory. As a beginner, you will want to go with a medium to soft tip. Softer tips are more forgiving and you will miscue less.

If you are going to be serious about the game then you should go with a true custom cue. You have many many different cue makers to choose from. A quick google search wil turn up some of the best and most reasonably priced ones. My next stick will be a Reeve's Cue, made by a friend of mine who is gaining in popularity with pool players across the region.

Again just remember that choosing a cue is all about what you are comfortable with, no one can choose a cue for you. You need to try different cues and choose which one you are most comfortable with.

Archived