• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

heat pump questions...

Towelboy

so last night my neighbor rings my doorbell and says my heat pump is smoking. the heat is working in the house, but the fan on the unit was not moving. so i turned it off. when i turned it back on, the heat in the house turned on and fan began moving again. 20 minutes later the unit began to steam and the fan stopped. the heat was still functioning in the house.

is there something wrong with the unit? it is only a year old and seemed to be heating the home just fine. with it being in the uppers 20s last night, did it go into some kind of defrost mode? any idea what is going on?

so last night my neighbor rings my doorbell and says my heat pump is smoking. the heat is working in the house, but the fan on the unit was not moving. so i turned it off. when i turned it back on, the heat in the house turned on and fan began moving again. 20 minutes later the unit began to steam and the fan stopped. the heat was still functioning in the house.

is there something wrong with the unit? it is only a year old and seemed to be heating the home just fine. with it being in the uppers 20s last night, did it go into some kind of defrost mode? any idea what is going on?

My heat pump also has a backup heating element. So even if it goes out, the heat still works, but you will notice a tremendous jump in your electric bill.

I agree that you should have it checked out, preferably by the people that installed it. And it should be under warranty although you might have to pay some kind of service fee.

The unit itself is still likely under warranty. Before you start forking out a lot of money bring back what the Techs are saying here. My dad owns a commercial HVAC company so i can run it past him and i know there were some tech guys that use to post here.

Be aware residential HVAC company's will screw you royally. They typically pay their techs a lower salary and then commission on repairs made. So there is heavy incentive for them to find things wrong with your unit or overcharge.

here's the deal...we have a home warranty and the unit is under warranty also. someone is coming out today to take a look. we pay $75 for the visit and the home warranty takes care of the repair.

thanks for the help all.

That is awesome! Good for you!

thanks for the help everyone. the guy just came out and topped off the R22. turns out what it was doing was perfectly normal. when the unit is in defrost mode, the fan will not turn and steam comes out for 2-4 minutes to melt the ice on the coils. when it is cold, the unit will defrost every 30 minutes.

thanks again all.

Heat pumps are generally great, but they can be a pain. Had a problem with mine last year when a relatively large insect crawled and shorted something out. Cost me about $200 bucks to relpace some component. And its got a slow coolant leak and I have to fill it up every year or so. I need to replace the coil, and probably will this spring, but thats going to cost $1500.

Archived