• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

xbox help

sunbunny

You know you can rout xbox live through your wireless laptop? If he has one you won't have to pay a cent.

I don't use live but one of my friends does it that way.

Theres lots of DIY stuff you can do if you have someone nerdy/handy in the house.

The overpricing of first party accessories is taken to the extreme by microsoft, I cringed having to buy that damn HDMI cable.

Not true at all from what I've read. Some companies are making game adapters that will specifically work for the 360 but you can't just buy any usb wireless adapter since the 360 cannot install drivers to make it work.

Now, here's another option if sunbunny's son has a PC with internet access in his room: Set up your PC to serve as a bridge to your Xbox 360. I just moved my kid's 360 into my office as the 2 could not manage to share it fairly when it was located in our basement which also is my older son's bedroom. My office is upstairs and the only internet access I have is through PC's wireless. So, I'm gonna give this bridging a shot to see if it works. Just need to get me a crossover cable.

that's what i do at school. we have to pay extra per month in order to register our routers under a private lan. i was like "screw that" and once i figured out how they check to see if you're using a router or not, i figured, i might as well pay 20 or so dollars for a second ethernet adapter and bridge it. the only side effect is that i need my computer on in order to play(not that it matters for me since i run it 24/7) but some people turn theirs off, and for laptops you have to (unless you want to overwork that dinky fan that's supposed to cool everything and have it sounding like a plane taking off and then a squirrel getting stuck in one of the turbines and promptly failing)

But yeah, all laptops have builtin wireless and ethernet ports nowadays, you can easily bridge the connections from wireless to ethernet. there's plenty of guides out there to show you how, it might be tedious but it sure beats having to pay 90+ dollars for a dinky antenna(which works surprisingly well though)

You know you can rout xbox live through your wireless laptop? If he has one you won't have to pay a cent.

I don't use live but one of my friends does it that way.

Theres lots of DIY stuff you can do if you have someone nerdy/handy in the house.

The overpricing of first party accessories is taken to the extreme by microsoft, I cringed having to buy that damn HDMI cable.

dear god, i hope you didn't buy an hdmi cable from a store like best buy/etc

always buy cables online. even with shipping they're so much cheaper. that and you're not limited to the 'monster' variety. where they'd gold tip your nutsack just to overcharge it.

dear god, i hope you didn't buy an hdmi cable from a store like best buy/etc

always buy cables online. even with shipping they're so much cheaper. that and you're not limited to the 'monster' variety. where they'd gold tip your nutsack just to overcharge it.

nooooo nooo i would never do that, but it was still 37 bucks "used"(it hadn't even been opened). That was the best price I could get.

The SATA cables in best buy are 20 dollars, amazing super-fancy cables online are 5 bucks. It's terrible.

FYI, if its a cable, adapter, splitter, switch, wall plate, converter, or anything similar, get it here: www.monoprice.com

You CANNOT beat their prices or quality. No joke, once you check it out, you will never buy another cable from any other retailer ever, for the end of time.

EDIT: I couldn't be happier that my 400th post was an advertisement for monoprice. That is how much awesome they possess.

• 2 weeks later...

Now, here's another option if sunbunny's son has a PC with internet access in his room: Set up your PC to serve as a bridge to your Xbox 360.

Got this working today! Hallelujah, I was looking into powerline options as well as a WAP to use in client mode. Tried to set up sharing with my office computer a week or two ago and had no luck. Decided to give it another shot today and managed to get it going. Woulda been easier, I imagine, if my network used DHCP, but with Static IP I just had to get the settings right. Either way, it's rocking now at 802.11g speeds so all should be good.

Archived