• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

xbox help

sunbunny

Or, get him a PS3. Built-in Wi-Fi, the network is free. And because you are getting into the next gen game a little late, like I was, Sony has announced that PS3 will have a shelf life of about 10 years. Meaning it will probably be relevant until 2016. Don't know how long Xbox 360 will be around. Plus he gets a home entertainment console.

this^^^

Both consoles are great. You can't go wrong with either one, unless of course, he wants an Xbox specifically.

The PS3 is a better deal in terms of what you get out of the box for your money.

Yep, thats it. Check your router. If it is an "N" router get the "N" adapter - it is fastest and much better range ($99). If it is a "G" router get the "G" adapter its is cheaper ($59 or so).

Actually, unless he is going to be streaming movies (from, say, Netflix) it is pointless to get the N-Wireless Adapter regardless of what type of router you have:

http://gizmodo.com/5411279/xbox-360-wireless-n-adapter-review

XBOX > Playstation

You can't really say one system is better than the other, it's comparing apples to oranges.

XBOX is designed to be a gaming console, period. Which is great, but let's see it play a Blue Ray. PS3, in addition to many great games, is a home entertainment console, but let's see it match the experience of a subscription-based online gaming environment, aww.

Both great systems. And both have the edge on the other in one category or another. Personally, I like the PS3, for the free online play and built-in WiFi, and it is the base of my home entertainment. A 15 year old probably just cares about games, though. So, either way it's gonna be a merry Christmas.

A wireless adapter. Microsoft sells a wireless adapter for the Xbox 360, but it's about $100. But I think you can just plug in any old adapter and plug it in to the 360's USB port.

Not true at all from what I've read. Some companies are making game adapters that will specifically work for the 360 but you can't just buy any usb wireless adapter since the 360 cannot install drivers to make it work.

Now, here's another option if sunbunny's son has a PC with internet access in his room: Set up your PC to serve as a bridge to your Xbox 360. I just moved my kid's 360 into my office as the 2 could not manage to share it fairly when it was located in our basement which also is my older son's bedroom. My office is upstairs and the only internet access I have is through PC's wireless. So, I'm gonna give this bridging a shot to see if it works. Just need to get me a crossover cable.

Actually, unless he is going to be streaming movies (from, say, Netflix) it is pointless to get the N-Wireless Adapter regardless of what type of router you have:

http://gizmodo.com/5411279/xbox-360-wireless-n-adapter-review

Pointless??

From your referenced article:

"Upgrading from 802.11g networking to 802.11n has a few key advantages: range is longer, speeds are faster and, since 802.11n sits on the 5GHz band, you won't interfere as much with 2.4GHz frequencies used by 802.11g and basically everything else in existence."

Of course the biggest points here being better range and less interference.

Archived