• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If you could go back in time and change 1 thing in your past what would it be?

Sultan33g

I think you just chose the wrong fraternity.

Yup. I just went to a few parties of theirs, next thing I know they come to my dorm room and tell me I'm pledging their frat, YAY! Really was a shizzy frat, too. The president was on acid half the time, and a girl got raped in their house. At least I had sense enough to depledge.

But things worked out. Did the journalism thing, never got below a 3.4 GPA after that. And now am on the fast track to be an executive at a Fortune 500 company right out of college. So really I can't complain, but pledging is something I really regret today. At least my son will never pledge a frat some day if I have anything to say about it.

:eek:

But things worked out. Did the journalism thing, never got below a 3.4 GPA after that. And now am on the fast track to be an executive at a Fortune 500 company right out of college. So really I can't complain, but pledging is something I really regret today. At least my son will never pledge a frat some day if I have anything to say about it.

thats awesome

Yup. I just went to a few parties of theirs, next thing I know they come to my dorm room and tell me I'm pledging their frat, YAY! Really was a shizzy frat, too. The president was on acid half the time, and a girl got raped in their house. At least I had sense enough to depledge.

My fraternity experience was a godsend with regard to academics.

A massive "old test file", numerous older guys that had been there, done that with regard to the classes I was taking.

A quiet, private study area with old textbooks and class notes.

6 guys in my pledge class went on to Med school.

Our academic rank amongst the fraternities was 3 out of 52.

Our advisor and the best "life coach" I ever had was former Navy MD, well connected. Great writer of recommendation letters.

I would instead advise your son to CHOOSE wisely.

Times are changing, as fraternity popularity waxes and wanes. Very cyclical, he should get the lay of the land.

If it helps him socially and academically it should not be dismissed out of hand.

If it is just an excuse to bury himself in women and beer.......

Ok, I know that sounds good :) but if he has aspirations of grad school and higher, the decision about a fraternity requires more than just an eye for a good time.

Yeah.....but I don't think you would be as likely to catch a bullet at any given time either. Something to think about since you have a beautiful family.

:cheers2:

You know....I actually try to tell myself that all the time to help with the regret but it doesn't work.

It has gotten so bad that I can't watch COPS or any detective type show without it keeping me up half the night because I am so mad at myself. Pretty sure that is a sign of a mid life crisis in full swing.

<<<goes to buy corvette and Harley

Unfortunately I wish I wouldn't have gotten married at 19. Married a month before I left for BMT and 6 years later and 2 kids I missed out on too much. Don't get me wrong my boys are my life, I love them with all my heart, but it's a horrible feeling to be with someone for so long and eventually feel alone. Tell your kids you'll beat them with a tire iron if they want to get married that damn young.

Just being real.

Unfortunately I wish I wouldn't have gotten married at 19. Married a month before I left for BMT and 6 years later and 2 kids I missed out on too much. It also doesn't help that we don't get along anymore.

Just being real.

Got married at 19 also.....and it defintely is not easy. People are different at 25 than at 19 and even more different at 35 than 25. It's been an interesting and bumpy ride but we just passed 17 years and things are actually better than they ever have been. She is the lucky one though cause it is obvious I turned out better looking and overall more awesomer.

Good Luck to you...

Got married at 19 also.....and it defintely is not easy. People are different at 25 than at 19 and even more different at 35 than 25. It's been an interesting and bumpy ride but we just passed 17 years and things are actually better than they ever have been. She is the lucky one though cause it is obvious I turned out better looking and overall more awesomer.

Good Luck to you...

I did it at 21... and you are dead on with the bold above...

Archived