• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Anyone have a Droid ?

2manytoys

I have a Droid. It is awesome. It was just rooted earlier this week, so you can literally do anything that a linux based computer, a 5mp camera, a 3.7" display, a led light, and a cell phone are capable of.

From the sound of your post, you probably won't have any need to root your device. But there is still tons of useful poo to do with it.

A couple apps I suggest downloading:

Locale: Changes your phone settings depending on where you are located, time of day, day of week, remaining battery life. For example, you can make your phone automatically go to vibrate at 10pm everynight, or when you are at the movie theater. Or you could have it reduce the screen brightness when the battery drops below 25%. Possiblities are endless.

ES file explorer: file manager, very useful for locating and managing files. Pretty much a must if you load music and movies on to your phone.

Shazam: Hold the phone up to a music source and it will identify the song.

Pandora: internet radio

Droid Light: uses the camera's LED flash as a flash light

I could go on forever, but this is a good start.

I have a Droid. It is awesome. It was just rooted earlier this week, so you can literally do anything that a linux based computer, a 5mp camera, a 3.7" display, a led light, and a cell phone are capable of.

From the sound of your post, you probably won't have any need to root your device. But there is still tons of useful poo to do with it.

A couple apps I suggest downloading:

Locale: Changes your phone settings depending on where you are located, time of day, day of week, remaining battery life. For example, you can make your phone automatically go to vibrate at 10pm everynight, or when you are at the movie theater. Or you could have it reduce the screen brightness when the battery drops below 25%. Possiblities are endless.

ES file explorer: file manager, very useful for locating and managing files. Pretty much a must if you load music and movies on to your phone.

Shazam: Hold the phone up to a music source and it will identify the song.

Pandora: internet radio

Droid Light: uses the camera's LED flash as a flash light

I could go on forever, but this is a good start.

I use Astro for file management. It lets you export your apps to your SD card for backup.

I will also recommend:

Google Places Directory: Find stuff like restaurants, shopping, banks, etc around you with user ratings.

PDaNet: Lets you tether your Android phone to your computer so you can use it as an internet connection

Ringdroid: Cut and mix your own ringtones from your music on the phone.

Gmote: Use your Android phone as a media remote for your computer. You can also use it as a touch pad/keyboard if you've got a HTPC.

I had no idea what this was at first after just hearing the name. I wondered if it was some kind of R2D2 toy that adults liked. Finally saw a commercial two weeks ago and figured it out (I watch very little TV).

OK gotta go, I think my dentures have finished soaking.

I came over here to make a topic about it. I haven't used mine yet as it's charging. My phone got destroyed right before my 21st birthday.

Orignally I wanted an $80 blackberry, but Verizon made the $30 data fee mandatory so it didn't make any sense to buy a phone that couldn't take advantage. So I suggested the Droid: Eris for $100, but my parents didn't want me getting the "baby" Droid as they felt like it wasn't worth it.

I've never felt so spoiled in my life, they MADE me get the more expensive one. They let me pay for the accessories at least so I don't feel like a total bum.

What kind of cases does everyone have? I don't have time to get one tonight.

If you buy the first party snap on gel droid case then make sure to try it on in the store. They don't fit the phone very well and I had to take mine back to get a better one. The reinforcing around the camera eye of the case doesn't allow it to stretch very well so you have to find a perfect one for it to fit securely.

http://androidforums.com/how-tips/14610-put-videos-droid.html here's a link to a good way to put video on it. Works great.

Archived