• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2023 Off-Season Thread

I get it sucks to lose Pesce but this is the downside of being a very good team and very good at development. You can’t afford to keep everyone.

Just look at Tampa… Palat, Gourde, Coleman, Goodrow, Killorn… all gone now.

It’s just the downside of being successful.

I think Canes fans in general are going to have to become accustomed to this.

Edited by MillionDollarCam
  • Pie 1

31 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

I get it sucks to lose Pesce but this is the downside of being a very good team and very good at development. You can’t afford to keep everyone.

Just look at Tampa… Palat, Gourde, Coleman, Goodrow, Killorn… all gone now.

It’s just the downside of being successful.

I think Canes fans in general are going to have to become accustomed to this.

Most Canes fans look at NHL personnel/salary cap just as they look at NFL personnel/salary cap. There is a big difference in the 2 and I think most average hockey fans don't really know the ins-and-outs, they would rather just see the same guys every year. That way they dont' have to agonize over who's name they'll have on a sweater next year.

Could break the bank dropping a couple hundy on a sweater and the guy ends up leaving the following year.

Edited by Anybodyhome
  • Pie 4

19 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

Most Canes fans look at NHL personnel/salary cap just as they look at NFL personnel/salary cap. There is a big difference in the 2 and I think most average hockey fans don't really know the ins-and-outs, they would rather just see the same guys every year. That way they dont' have to agonize over who's name they'll have on a sweater next year.

Could break the bank dropping a couple hundy on a sweater and the guy ends up leaving the following year.

Yep, I give Waddell poo but I think an NHL GM’s job is the toughest in sports and he’s done remarkably well.

You are given penny’s in cap space to work with to fill out a 23 man roster and every 45 point player wants an AAV of $5M or more.

The system is broken and it hurts good teams who develop well.

Being that it’s a hard cap, it’s not like there’s a luxury tax you can go into to keep your own talent like the NBA. If we can’t afford a guy then we simply can’t afford him.

While I’d love to keep Pesce the smart thing to do is move him for assets and then hopefully Morrow and Nikishin are developed property and you have three years of those guys.

In the NHL you keep your elite talent and cycle through everyone else.

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Don’t think it has anything to do with people being down on Pesce. From the Canes point of view it’s moving a player that you’d only get one more year out of and flipping the assets you get for him for a player that you get four more years out of.

This is my concern with Karlsson:  he disappeared for 3-4 years out in San Jose and had some injury issues.  He is not Burns - I am sure he works out and stays in shape, but he's not in "blow your mind" shape.

Yeah, we get him for more years but if he gets hurt or is injured a lot where does that leave us?  I guess we could say the same about Pesce, who amongst our D-men, has had the most injuries but he is younger.

This is really interesting.  I was more about moving Pesce for forward help!

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Rocky Davis said:

This is my concern with Karlsson:  he disappeared for 3-4 years out in San Jose and had some injury issues.  He is not Burns - I am sure he works out and stays in shape, but he's not in "blow your mind" shape.

Yeah, we get him for more years but if he gets hurt or is injured a lot where does that leave us?  I guess we could say the same about Pesce, who amongst our D-men, has had the most injuries but he is younger.

This is really interesting.  I was more about moving Pesce for forward help!

I initially had this concern but then I thought back to the whole Gardiner situation.

If he gets hurt you LTIR him then move on.

• Pie 1

42 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

I’m gonna highlight this post again because it’s just a good reminder of why you shouldn’t buy NHL sweaters unless the guy has inked a seven year deal.

Take it from someone like me who has an Alex Semin sweater hanging in his closet. Life comes at you fast.

• Beer 1

20 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

I’m gonna highlight this post again because it’s just a good reminder of why you shouldn’t buy NHL sweaters unless the guy has inked a seven year deal.

Take it from someone like me who has an Alex Semin sweater hanging in his closet. Life comes at you fast.

That's why my sewn on authentic has my own last name on it...

I'll buy the replicas and t-shirts for players that might not last. 

Aho and Slavin are probably safe to buy at this point. But, if you really want your money's worth, get a Staal sweater with some velcro numbers you can change out as we cycle through the family!

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2023/07/nhl-rumors-3-free-agent-destinations.html

The Vancouver Canucks decided not to qualify Ethan Bear, making him an unrestricted free agent. To this point, he still hasn't found a new team and is definitely good enough to play in the NHL. Thus far, his NHL career has taken him from the Edmonton Oilers to the Carolina Hurricanes to the Canucks. His career year came at age 22 with the Oilers and he is looking for a home where he can get back to that level. He is young and still has lots to give, so let's see where an opportunity can arise for him.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

You have to be careful about changing the chemistry of a team already close to winning a cup. I like our signings thus far. Still hold the opinion we needed a scoring forward and maybe bunting is good enough, another would be great. Tinker too much with an excellent defense at your own risk. 

We should know soon enough when the season begins if any more trades were wise.

No scoring forward at the TDA doesn’t give me as much confidence in GM as some of you guys.

Edited by DavidEng
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

40 minutes ago, Stumpy said:

That's why my sewn on authentic has my own last name on it...

I'll buy the replicas and t-shirts for players that might not last. 

Aho and Slavin are probably safe to buy at this point. But, if you really want your money's worth, get a Staal sweater with some velcro numbers you can change out as we cycle through the family!

Yeah, I have the first black alternate jersey with E. Staal's nameplate and numbers.  I thought we considered him a franchise player until he started to sulk about not being on a winning team.

We definitely got, and still have, the best Staal brother.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

44 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2023/07/nhl-rumors-3-free-agent-destinations.html

The Vancouver Canucks decided not to qualify Ethan Bear, making him an unrestricted free agent. To this point, he still hasn't found a new team and is definitely good enough to play in the NHL. Thus far, his NHL career has taken him from the Edmonton Oilers to the Carolina Hurricanes to the Canucks. His career year came at age 22 with the Oilers and he is looking for a home where he can get back to that level. He is young and still has lots to give, so let's see where an opportunity can arise for him.

Probably won’t be ready until December. Got hurt in the World Championships.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1