• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PFF: 2023 Projections

NAS

10 minutes ago, NAS said:

Well even starters don’t get 100% of the snaps depending on formation. I think this means he will be utilized more in different packages.

Yeah, I read that as "Rather than focusing so much on where and how this guy fits our scheme, we're gonna get him on the field however we can because the guy makes plays."

• Pie 2

13 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Saying things like "prioritizing playing time" throws up red flags for me. You don't "prioritize playing time" for your starters.

The more I think about it the more I don't understand who will be coming off the field for him? He doesn't do that well when asked to cover in space so I don't see us running 3 safeties vs passing looks. Maybe he subs in for Vonn Bell in obvious run formations/heavy run teams? I'm not sure how good Bell was at stopping the run but I'm fairly certain he was good at covering TEs so maybe that's the plan? I don't see who else he'd substitute in for

Edited by Mr Mojo Risin

53 minutes ago, NAS said:

Well even starters don’t get 100% of the snaps depending on formation. I think this means he will be utilized more in different packages.

Agreed, whether we're in a 3-4, a 4-3, or something else, I think Chinn finds a spot on the field.

• Pie 1

16 hours ago, Louie said:

It looks like the only week spot on the offensive line was LG Brady Christensen . I wonder if that's one reason they signed Icky's friend Zavala? 🤔

Maybe, but you can never have too much talent in the trenches. Personally, I don't get all the BC hate. I think he was solid playing beside a rookie LT and Eflein for the first 6 weeks. He sure passes the eyeball test; go back to the Ickey Film room thread and focus in on BC, he's playing lights out. 

• Pie 2

It's be awesome if Zavala was an upgrade for us. Not just for the starting lineup but for depth. One of BC's best value propositions is his versatility. The guy can play all over the OL. If Zavala can be the starter it wouldn't surprise me if BC isn't the all-purpose OL backup. Now he wouldn't be that on gameday. You can't practice and be ready to plug and play at any given position every week, but I'm the event of a season ending injury to a starter or even an injury that is going to keep a starter out several weeks, that's where you spend a week letting BC focus on that spot so that there isn't a huge drop off in OL play. That's a valuable player on your roster.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

17 hours ago, joemac said:

Sounds about right to me.  We actually have a really solid roster top to bottom.  Since we (hopefully) have locked up the QB position, there are not a lot of other glaring holes.  We need a true WR1, which Chark could become if healthy, also TMJ has shown flashes of being a really really good player.  Most WR's light comes on in season 3, if it ever does come on, so he could have a big year. Still need some help at Edge, Defensive Line and Interior LB though.

I don’t look at that lineup and feel like it is really solid. Our skilled positions on offense are overall below average. There isn’t a single true impact player. I see a lot of hop. Thank goodness we added FAs because after trading CMC and DJ, we had a terrible set of players to put around a rookie QB. Even though it’s greatly improved, we still don’t have a top tier WR, TE or RB. There’s no one that a DC worries about. I’m happy with Young and the OL although I do think it would be good if our IOL was upgraded and healthy. Feels like we have some depth there but again if we somehow end up with a top tier LG, it would really help.

On D, I like Luvu, Brown, Burns and Shaq, but Tuttle, YGM and Haynes are easily replaced and in need of upgrading. CB is is a true weakness. Horn has to stay healthy. End of the season hurt players means unavailable for playoffs or playoff runs. Donte tore his Achilles and wasn’t great before that and the rest is terrible.

The other note is that again, our depth is not good. Compare us to a contender like SF or Philly. SF in particular had tons of injury issues but they had depth that still got them wins. What if Brown and Burns are hurt or Iky and Moton? Last year we were pretty healthy until the last meaningless game. Could we survive a rash of injuries like the 2016 OL? We didn’t really survive that but we were still a bad K season away from 9-7 even with all the injuries in a much better division. We couldn’t come close to staying competitive if we had bad injury luck. Trading away so many picks the past couple of years and some bad picks hasn’t helped with depth.

17 hours ago, ladypanther said:

Evero seems to like him.

– Evero declined to veer into specifics on how they'll utilize Jeremy Chinn in the new defense. Chinn's a safety with the ability to play closer to the line of scrimmage and act like a linebacker. Evero said he wanted to prioritize playing time for Chinn as a player who can "do a lot of different things."

"We think very highly of him," Evero said. "I think he's a heck of a player. He's a weapon that we're definitely going to try to utilize. And I know he's an asset for us to have."

https://www.panthers.com/news/ejiro-evero-has-seen-great-improvement-in-early-offseason-program

That reads a lot more positive than it sounded to me while watching the presser. I’m in the I don’t think they are really sure how they are going to utilize him. But Chinn’s a baller and Evero is an innovative coach so I’m very hopeful it all gets sorted.

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's be awesome if Zavala was an upgrade for us. Not just for the starting lineup but for depth. One of BC's best value propositions is his versatility. The guy can play all over the OL. If Zavala can be the starter it wouldn't surprise me if BC isn't the all-purpose OL backup. Now he wouldn't be that on gameday. You can't practice and be ready to plug and play at any given position every week, but I'm the event of a season ending injury to a starter or even an injury that is going to keep a starter out several weeks, that's where you spend a week letting BC focus on that spot so that there isn't a huge drop off in OL play. That's a valuable player on your roster.

Our IOL right now doesn’t have the potential of the Ts. An upgrade at LG would be huge and frankly pulling a Humphrey in a future draft wouldn’t hurt either. Corbett played well but he’s coming off an ACL. Bozeman is average which is a better than what we’ve had but he’s not elite. BC is just OK. I still think back to the 2021 draft. The draftniks in here really nailed it with guys who ended up being key cogs to KC’s SB win. It’s gone but 2021 should have been a heavy OL draft considering that and QB (who sucked in that draft) were our gigantic holes. After watching Iky improve, just thinking about an Iky, Corbett, Humphrey, Smith, Moton OL makes me feel warm and toasty. Only would have cost us TMJ and a released LS to make that happen, but I digress and will come back to reality!

On 5/16/2023 at 4:30 PM, LinvilleGorge said:

Who thinks CB is a strength? I think most Panthers fans realize that outside of Horn CB is a problem sport for us, especially with Jackson coming off of a torn Achilles.

It has been said many times that Horn, Jackson, and Henderson are all good CB.  Jackson and Henderson were pretty poor last year. Horn can't stay healthy.