• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Grading the full offseason video

Jackie Lee

19 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Dunno anything about this guys channel, but it's a nice thorough well edited synopsis of our full offseason so far. Better than arguing about Darnolds ceiling with the 49er's or rippadons mental health

Willie Smith Good analysis, a legitimate grade for coaching staff can’t be given until we observe how the players and schemes for all three phases work. You could evaluate for each quarter of the season or halfway through. Great Panthers content.

Edited by KatsAzz

Just now, TheCasillas said:

Good post but this guy had some gaps in some of his references. If he is a Panthers fans, then I’d expect better. However, if he is just NFL fan.. then not bad.

Yeah don't know much about him, seems like a general NFL content person. I wasn't a Bryce guy but it's hard to find anyone with an outside perspective dogging the pick at all. The Thielen criticism I get, but he probably also doesn't know that DJ Moore was only getting like 4 td's or whatever a year, and we don't have a true number 1 but the collective group is an upgrade that defenses will have to account for

10 hours ago, TheCasillas said:

Good post but this guy had some gaps in some of his references. If he is a Panthers fans, then I’d expect better. However, if he is just NFL fan.. then not bad.

FWIW, He has a SC flag hanging behind him on his dorm room wall. I've only made it through FA, not watched the draft section yet,I have a zoom mtg. But he's focusing on the money aspect too much for my taste. For example, he doesn't like the Thielen signing because it's basically 2 years $19M and he thinks it's too costly. This is probably my favorite signing because having a proven veteran safety net for your rookie QB is worth a LOT.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

31 minutes ago, shaqattaq said:

FWIW, He has a SC flag hanging behind him on his dorm room wall. I've only made it through FA, not watched the draft section yet,I have a zoom mtg. But he's focusing on the money aspect too much for my taste. For example, he doesn't like the Thielen signing because it's basically 2 years $19M and he thinks it's too costly. This is probably my favorite signing because having a proven veteran safety net for your rookie QB is worth a LOT.

Yeah, considering our WR room I'm okay with maybe overpaying a solid vet. Our rookie QB needs help and our young WRs could benefit from a good vet mentor. It might be overpaying from the eyes of another team but viewed through our eyes it (or a similar move) was an absolute necessity. It's not like it's a cap crippling move in the grand scheme of things. It's a bridge move and we desperately needed a WR bridge after being forced to trade DJ to get our QB.

• Beer 1

46 minutes ago, shaqattaq said:

the Thielen "trade" ... as he says multiple times, haha.

The piece that got me was his money talk about miles vs foreman and wishes that we offered foreman... I believe he missed the news that we had an offer out for foreman per Fitt. However, Foreman was weighing his options. Plus the Miles contract is nothing in today's salary cap world and we can get the entire cap savings back in 2025 with a release or trade.

Edited by TheCasillas
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

27 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah, considering our WR room I'm okay with maybe overpaying a solid vet. Our rookie QB needs help and our young WRs could benefit from a good vet mentor. It might be overpaying from the eyes of another team but viewed through our eyes it (or a similar move) was an absolute necessity. It's not like it's a cap crippling move in the grand scheme of things. It's a bridge move and we desperately needed a WR bridge after being forced to trade DJ to get our QB.

In the perfect world, our top 3 receivers for 2024 will be TMJ, Mingo, and Shi, and Theilen will be a role player/unofficial position coach with a huge paycheck, AND I"M OK WITH THAT. Let's face it though, the odds of all 3 of them hitting are not very good. We did the same thing bringing in Shockey as a safety net Cam's rookie year, and that worked out pretty well for him. 

10 minutes ago, shaqattaq said:

In the perfect world, our top 3 receivers for 2024 will be TMJ, Mingo, and Shi, and Theilen will be a role player/unofficial position coach with a huge paycheck, AND I"M OK WITH THAT. Let's face it though, the odds of all 3 of them hitting are not very good. We did the same thing bringing in Shockey as a safety net Cam's rookie year, and that worked out pretty well for him. 

I can't see that happening. Just reading between the lines on comments from the front office and staff I think we're about to give up on Shi but we see potential with Shenault. I definitely think Thielen and TMJ will be our top two WRs week one with Shenault and Mingo rounding out the top four. We'll see how it plays out over the course of the season. Thielen has additional value for us because he can play in the slot or outside. 

• Pie 3

43 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

the Thielen "trade" ... as he says multiple times, haha.

The piece that got me was his money talk about miles vs foreman and wishes that we offered foreman... I believe he missed the news that we had an offer out for foreman per Fitt. However, Foreman was weighing his options. Plus the Miles contract is nothing in today's salary cap world and we can get the entire cap savings back in 2025 with a release or trade.

We probably offered Foreman a comparable contract. He wanted to be a #1, which he would get in Chicago.  I hope we're not done in the RB department, but as time rolls by, it is looking that way.

31 minutes ago, poundaway said:

We probably offered Foreman a comparable contract. He wanted to be a #1, which he would get in Chicago.  I hope we're not done in the RB department, but as time rolls by, it is looking that way.

Leonard Fournette could be a nice power back to add.

• Pie 2