• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I've adopted a newborn kitten

LinvilleGorge

45 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

I went into a bar in Gastonia 30-some years ago. Trust me, a female coyote in there would have been the best looking creature to come thru the door.

Rule of thumb; keep your pussies close and your cats closer.

Sound advise and a wise words  of wisdom that I will certainly try to abide by. LOL 🙂    

31 minutes ago, Paa Langfart said:

Sorry about losing your pets to coyotes.  Several years back I was walking to my computer desk with a cup of morning coffee, looked out the front window to see one of my cats facing off with a coyote about 3 feet apart - I keep a loaded .22 by the front door and I grabbed it and ran out the door yelling - by the time I started shooting the yote was in full flight - I got off about 5 shots - don't know if I had any hits or not but I know both me and the yote were a bit shook up at the least. It was about as close a call as you could get without losing a pet.   As a qualifier I live in the woods on 25 acres of land - no neighbors in sight nor downrange of my shooting.  I never willingly let my cats prowl out on their own after that, which if you know cats,  is an undertaking.  I had already put up a wood fence in my " backyard" for my dogs so I cat proofed it as well.  Well mostly cat proof anyway, lol.  That way they can still get out without me tending to them constantly and the kitten I posted a picture of above I have harness/leash trained.  

You are wise to keep your your cats inside and believe me I know what a chore that can be because they are predators and it comes natural to them to want to be outside and hunt.

You were fortunate to lose your cat to the coyote. You fast thinking and timely reactions probably saved its life.

Coyotes will mostly travel in pairs when hunting, branching often occasionally then coming back together to double team their prey.

You and your cat were also very fortunate that it was just the one coyote and not the usual two.

• Pie 1

48 minutes ago, KatsAzz said:

You are wise to keep your your cats inside and believe me I know what a chore that can be because they are predators and it comes natural to them to want to be outside and hunt.

You were fortunate to lose your cat to the coyote. You fast thinking and timely reactions probably saved its life.

Coyotes will mostly travel in pairs when hunting, branching often occasionally then coming back together to double team their prey.

You and your cat were also very fortunate that it was just the one coyote and not the usual two.

I get them on my game camera on a regular basis here at night - the incident with my cat was the first time I saw one in daylight and yeah we were lucky.  You can see the second pair of eyes not following behind the first in this pic.

Second pic is a bobcat - another reason I don't let my cats out on their own - I used to let my chickens out in the early evening not always while attending them till  a bobcat got one and was gone before I could do anything to stop it.

coyotes.JPG

bobcat.JPG

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, Paa Langfart said:

I get them on my game camera on a regular basis here at night - the incident with my cat was the first time I saw one in daylight and yeah we were lucky.  You can see the second pair of eyes not following behind the first in this pic.

Second pic is a bobcat - another reason I don't let my cats out on their own - I used to let my chickens out in the early evening not always while attending them till  a bobcat got one and was gone before I could do anything to stop it.

coyotes.JPG

bobcat.JPG

That was some good pictures, especially the clear one of the bobcat. Looks like pretty country, where do you live?

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

Is that a King Charles Spaniel?

Yeah, we have one that is about 4 years old now and he is the most loyal dog you can imagine.  This dog breed is so incredible.  One thing though they bark,  man he barks at every person that walks by but such a sweet dog.

13 minutes ago, Shocker said:

Yeah, we have one that is about 4 years old now and he is the most loyal dog you can imagine.  This dog breed is so incredible.  One thing though they bark,  man he barks at every person that walks by but such a sweet dog.

They're sweet as can be, but damn those heart issues. Hope yours live long and happy.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

They're sweet as can be, but damn those heart issues. Hope yours live long and happy.

We have heard…and are watching that with the vet as much as possible.  This dog literally is with someone in the family at all times.  They are so loving and caring.  They can’t stand to be alone for a minute.  It’s amazing 

I'm looking to get a male maine coon cat. They have heart issues as well but these cats are awesome 

Here is what they look like. I've been pricing them they start at $3k

Maine Coon Price has risen in 2022 due to covid, expect to pay $2,000 to $10,000 for a CFA-registered Maine Coon kitten from health-tested parents. The average price is around $3,000. The price depends on many factors please read this whole article.

C

maine-coon-cats-24__605.jpg

• Pie 1

21 hours ago, Shocker said:

We have heard…and are watching that with the vet as much as possible.  This dog literally is with someone in the family at all times.  They are so loving and caring.  They can’t stand to be alone for a minute.  It’s amazing 

Me and my present hound took an dog obedience class some years back - the instructor kept King Charles Spaniels and hers were certified in tracking missing people as well as finding cadavers,  sometimes in deep water from a boat.  She had some incredible stories - her dogs actually helped locate the burial site of part of the crew of the USS Huron which was lost off the outer banks in 1877.  All by nose and extensive training.  

• Pie 2

I love "watching" cats and dogs on social media they are cute.

I had 1 dog as a teen and when it died it was a feeling I never will forget. Since then I have made myself a promise to never own a dog or cat again because I know when that moment comes it will crush my family.

So we just look at the videos on social media. Deep down I really want a frenchie but I can't get past my teenage years. That dog death stays with you forever.

1 hour ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

I love "watching" cats and dogs on social media they are cute.

I had 1 dog as a teen and when it died it was a feeling I never will forget. Since then I have made myself a promise to never Frenchieg or cat again because I know when that moment comes it will crush my family.

So we just look at the videos on social media. Deep down I really want a frenchie but I can't get past my teenage years. That dog's death stays with you forever.

It took me 2 years to get over my English bulldog's death. He was murdered by his vet at 5 years old by negligence. Thankfully she is no longer a practicing vet. The joy you get from them is worth the pain at the end. I have 2 more dogs to suffer that trauma again but thankfully these guys lived a full life and was not cut down in their prime. I can deal with that.