• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Could a trade be on the horizon...(Vegas shift at number 2)

Lurk21

17 hours ago, FakePlasticTrees said:

Let’s be honest though. Mayfield is bigger and has a better arm. It seems to me that Young’s vaunted processing speed and understanding is Young’s sole competitive advantage. 

I do not believe processing speed can possibly overcome Young’s historic (by weight) size limitations. Ultimately his inability to play from under center will partially erode any accuracy advantages that he has since the running game will suffer. Furthermore, Young is not even particularly athletic. He is the least athletic and has by far the weakest arm of any of the likely first round QB picks in this draft.

It as if Young’s intelligence and likability of caused an outbreak of confirmation bias. Little to no real discussion has been had related to Young’s obvious limitations. Scouts just mention Young’s small stature and quote his “phony” combine weight without any real discussion of how he will overcome those limitations. There has been little to no discussion of Young’s inability to be effective from under center as evidenced by the fact that I think he only had single digit snaps taken from under center last season.

There was little to no discussion of the floating nature of some of Young’s deep passes and lack of real zip on intermediate passes. 

Great kid. Maybe even a natural leader. Competitive. Smart.

Historically small, on the weak side of average arm strength, lack of athleticism, does not thrive from under center, etc.

I predict an injury plagued and shortened career. Young may well be the most NFL ready QB in this draft. However, again, that will not overcome his obvious limitations. Other QBs in this draft will have longer and better NFL careers. Young is NOT worth the overall number 1 pick much less the overall number 1 pick, multiple draft choices, and the Panther’s best wide receiver.

Great post. I agree with a lot of this.

I've said before that Young has the ideal traits I prefer in a quarterback (intelligence, processing speed, accuracy) but his size can't be ignored. Nor can the durability concerns that come with it.

I absolutely hope if he's the pick that it's the right choice, but I worry about the possibility of predictions like this coming true.

17 hours ago, FakePlasticTrees said:

Let’s be honest though. Mayfield is bigger and has a better arm. It seems to me that Young’s vaunted processing speed and understanding is Young’s sole competitive advantage. 

I do not believe processing speed can possibly overcome Young’s historic (by weight) size limitations. Ultimately his inability to play from under center will partially erode any accuracy advantages that he has since the running game will suffer. Furthermore, Young is not even particularly athletic. He is the least athletic and has by far the weakest arm of any of the likely first round QB picks in this draft.

It as if Young’s intelligence and likability of caused an outbreak of confirmation bias. Little to no real discussion has been had related to Young’s obvious limitations. Scouts just mention Young’s small stature and quote his “phony” combine weight without any real discussion of how he will overcome those limitations. There has been little to no discussion of Young’s inability to be effective from under center as evidenced by the fact that I think he only had single digit snaps taken from under center last season.

There was little to no discussion of the floating nature of some of Young’s deep passes and lack of real zip on intermediate passes. 

Historically small, on the weak side of average arm strength, lack of athleticism, does not thrive from under center, etc.

I predict an injury plagued and shortened career. Young may well be the most NFL ready QB in this draft. However, again, that will not overcome his obvious limitations. Other QBs in this draft will have longer and better NFL careers. Young is NOT worth the overall number 1 pick much less the overall number 1 pick, multiple draft choices, and the Panther’s best wide receiver.

If his size is limiting his ability to play QB at a high level but he played QB at a higher level than the other 3 guys in college what is their excuse?

Im not 100% sold on him either but my concerns with his size relate to durability not his ability to play QB, those are two different things. 

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

If his size is limiting his ability to play QB at a high level but he played QB at a higher level than the other 3 guys in college what is their excuse?

Im not 100% sold on him either but my concerns with his size relate to durability not his ability to play QB, those are two different things. 

Lots of smaller guys dominate college. He also went to Bama compared to Kentucky or Florida. He’s got some really bad tape over the middle and his tape shows him getting run down consistently by linebackers and defensive tackles. In the NFL that’s likely going to stand out even more. 

On 4/22/2023 at 6:05 PM, CamWhoaaCam said:

That's cool, but all this negative talk about Bryce Young is getting annoying.

All yall complain about is his size, size, size!

What about his ability to play QB at a elite level? What about his ability to make plays after the play breaks down? What about his ability to take command of the offense?

His size won’t change at the next level, so we know that’s a certainly.  All those others things you said…not a single person knows if he has the ability to do those things at an elite, pro level.

On 4/22/2023 at 4:59 PM, FakePlasticTrees said:

No lies detected. Pretty much echoes my concerns.

9 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Great post. I agree with a lot of this.

I've said before that Young has the ideal traits I prefer in a quarterback (intelligence, processing speed, accuracy) but his size can't be ignored. Nor can the durability concerns that come with it.

I absolutely hope if he's the pick that it's the right choice, but I worry about the possibility of predictions like this coming true.

This and what he mentioned is why I can't get overly excited about Bryce Young. At best I'm anxiously optimistic because I kind of have to be. 

I have no idea if all that dancing he does in the pocket will translate in the NFL either.

Baker and Kyler had stronger arguments than Young does bc of arm strength and mobility respectively.

There's been a ton of smart QBs that became coaches because they didn't have the physical abilities to go along with it.

• Beer 1

7 minutes ago, Hoenheim said:

This and what he mentioned is why I can't get overly excited about Bryce Young. At best I'm anxiously optimistic because I kind of have to be. 

I have no idea if all that dancing he does in the pocket will translate in the NFL either.

Baker and Kyler had stronger arguments than Young does bc of arm strength and mobility respectively.

There's been a ton of smart QBs that became coaches because they didn't have the physical abilities to go along with it.

You kind of have to get excited about him though. I look at it this way - had we just sat at #9, we'd be sitting here hoping and praying Stroud drops to us (he won't) after all this recent hooplah, or sitting here convincing ourselves that trading up for Will Levis or AR is worth it...while knowing the consensus "NFL ready" QB of this draft is simply out of reach.

It just feel like - assuming our entire staff got on board with the consensus #1 pick - you pretty much have to be a little excited about it by comparison to where we were in February, knowing we'd have to settle for leftovers from other team's picks.

Edited by therealmjl

1 minute ago, therealmjl said:

You kind of have to get excited about him though. I look at it this way - had we just sat at #9, we'd be sitting here hoping and praying Stroud drops to us (he won't) after all this recent hooplah, or sitting here convincing ourselves that trading up for Will Levis or AR is worth it. 

It just feel like - assuming our entire staff got on board with the consensus #1 pick - you pretty much have to be a little excited about it by comparison to where we were in Feburary.

He's gonna have to prove it to me I'll gladly eat my words if he does 

I feel like generally everyone's going to be watching how kyler, Tua, and Young turn out. If they all flame out its going to be a huge indictment on smaller qbs

If Young is wildly successful it's probably going to open the floodgates for a ton of smaller qbs 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Hoenheim said:

He's gonna have to prove it to me I'll gladly eat my words if he does 

I feel like generally everyone's going to be watching how kyler, Tua, and Young turn out. If they all flame out its going to be a huge indictment on smaller qbs

If Young is wildly successful it's probably going to open the floodgates for a ton of smaller qbs 

Agreed, his size is 100% concerning - but it's a risk you just have to take after the trade up. Whether it works out or not is tbd, but it's hard not to be excited about the situation he's going to be walking into.

Edited by therealmjl
  • Pie 1