• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Real Reason Bryce Being the Pick Scares Me - He'll be the Marvin Lewis of QB's

tukafan21

53 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

Greater skill set IS a genuine dual threat. 

The noodle can help you think but legs and muscles keep you safe or help you stiff arm dominate and keep running with the rock instead of getting crushed by a mountain.

How'd that work out for Newton?

Tom Brady, Drew Brees and Peyton Manning all had long, very successful careers. None of them were athletic freaks.

Brain power, passing accuracy and processing ability will take you much further in the NFL than athleticism.

It's a cool thing to have, but it's nowhere near as important as the other stuff.

• Pie 1

21 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

Yea, I know, another thread, but I don't think this is something I've seen discussed much on here and it's been rattling around in my head while I wait for the finale of The Mandalorian to drop here in a few minutes.  

I'm afraid Bryce will be the Marvin Lewis of QB's due to his size and it will put us in NFL purgatory for the next decade, which is SOOO much worse than just missing on a QB draft pick and needing to start over in 3-4 years with a new one.

If he flops for being the top pick, it won't be because he's terrible, it will be because he can't stay healthy for full seasons, and likely is hurt later in the season as the wear and tear builds and would miss playoff games, such as Lamar the last few years.

He'll be too good of a QB to just let walk in Free Agency, but his injury problems won't make him an attractive trade candidate either, and we'll be stuck with a QB who only is able to play 10-12 games a year.  He'll be good enough in those games that we are Wild Card contenders each year, making it some, missing it in others, but maybe never being legit title contenders if he can't be fully healthy come January and leaving us pick in the early 20's each draft as well.

That's basically what Marvin Lewis was to the Bengals as a coach, he was too good for them to fire, but not good enough when it mattered and they couldn't make playoff runs with him.  It was a terrible situation for them to be in for a long time, and I'm convinced that will happen with Bryce and whatever team drafts him.  Which is why I prefer Stroud, equally high upside, with I think a higher floor, but if he flops we'll know and be able to move on from him faster/easier than with the way Young will "flop" in my mind.

I can't lie that I'm intrigued by Young's mental side of things, the thing that stood out to me the most was that they would give him 2 plays to call in the huddle and he'd make the play call at the line, that's an NFL thing, not in college, in college the players all look back to the sideline for the final call.  But Stroud is too good of a prospect for me to take the risk on the above scenario, which I think is the most likely outcome for Bryce's career.

That’s why we have Matt Corral, and why Tepper and his trophy wife are the problem. Football people want Stroud, admin wants Midget. Draft midget, get hurt, enter Corral. Simple.

24 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

Great breakdown of what he will see from defenses in the league

Good summary of the Bryce concerns, and he didn't even really get into some of the questionable footwork that also gets ignored by the media for some reason. He's literally on his toes or jumping in the air numerous time when throwing. 

2 hours ago, Actionman0z said:

That’s why we have Matt Corral, and why Tepper and his trophy wife are the problem. Football people want Stroud, admin wants Midget. Draft midget, get hurt, enter Corral. Simple.

What football people? Every Tom, Dick and Harry say Young is the best QB in this draft. And on a side note show me on the doll where Tepper and his wife touched you 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

Good summary of the Bryce concerns, and he didn't even really get into some of the questionable footwork that also gets ignored by the media for some reason. He's literally on his toes or jumping in the air numerous time when throwing. 

Its crazy....Like the concerns are right there in front to see and everybody just ignores them because "he is a playmaker". Im not even saying this to down him, most players have flaws to correct coming in the league. But bad habits like that will come back and bite you in the pros. As big of success cam was in college he got ripped for his mechanics all the time. Nobody seems to care about bryce.

• Pie 1

17 minutes ago, Mother Grabber said:

yeah, we should target the next ryan leaf, jamarcus russell, sam darnold, brady quinn, jeff george, matt leinart, sam bradford, zach wilson….etc, etc, etc, etc because dominant size and arm strength are what really make a good QB

If size doesnt matter then where are all the sub 6ft qbs?

• Pie 1
  • Poo 2

16 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

If size doesnt matter then where are all the sub 6ft qbs?

not saying it doesn’t matter, just saying it’s a not an eliminating characteristic. i’m sure young would prefer to be 6’4” too. just because he’s not, that doesn’t me he can’t be a successful NFL QB. there are plenty of examples across olympic and professional sports of guys the same size or smaller as Young thriving in an environment dominated by greek statues, including the NFL.

maybe he’ll be one of those transcendental players, maybe he won’t. whining about young’s size and saying he’ll get killed because it’s a man’s game and he has no business out there shows a very myopic view of him as a player and the game.

• Pie 2

With as passionate as these defenses have been over the last month or so on behalf of all small framed QB's I am expecting an Eli Manning level streak of consecutive career starts for Bryce Young. Will he miss any games at all? Probably not 🫡

• Poo 1

4 hours ago, CPF4LIFE said:

Its crazy....Like the concerns are right there in front to see and everybody just ignores them because "he is a playmaker". Im not even saying this to down him, most players have flaws to correct coming in the league. But bad habits like that will come back and bite you in the pros. As big of success cam was in college he got ripped for his mechanics all the time. Nobody seems to care about bryce.

Yeah I’m sure all of our coaches, scouts, and personnel people whose jobs, reputations, and in some cases careers are on the line, are just ignoring all of the concerns. I’m sure all these people who spent their whole lives in football and have access to more film than you, more information than you, more data than you, are just missing what you’re seeing.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 2

6 hours ago, CPF4LIFE said:

Great breakdown of what he will see from defenses in the league

I watched the video. I like that he had the LSU and Texas game because if you watch the full games you're able to see a QB that has a plan B when the defense has an answer to plan A. I'm an LSU fan, we pressured Bryce on 40% of his dropbacks and used Harold Perkins, our OLB as a spy. It took a 2pt conversion in OT to prevent Alabama from getting the ball back on offense because the momentum started to shift. 

Bryce's deficiencies are well-documented in every scouting report. I don't know one report that doesn't mention he will be a size outlier and doesn't have elite arm strength. He has one strike against him to start.

Therefore, I argue that his tape is scrutinized even more because he doesn't fit the prototype. Yet, the majority of those same scouting reports still have him as the No.1 rated QB or even the No.1 overall prospect. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1