• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panther Pick #39: LB Drew Sanders?

MHS831

I have been screaming for an edge in round two at #39--so have some of you.  I had become quite familiar with the edge players who are expected to be there on day 2.  Then I stumbled across this name: LB Drew Sanders.  I remember how much the coaches like position flexibility and just cannot imagine them not loving this guy.  The Panthers talked to him at the combine, fwiw.

According to NFL.com:

Unique linebacker prospect with the physical traits, athleticism and skill set to be deployed as an inside linebacker or a stand-up edge rusher. The former five-star Alabama signee transferred to Arkansas for the 2022 season and posted eye-catching production with the Razorbacks. He plays with good technique in take-ons and has plenty of pursuit range, but he’s still finding his footing with his run fits and tackle consistency. He’s a tough out for interior protection as a blitzing linebacker and has natural rush talent to hunt quarterbacks off the edge. Sanders’ athletic gifts, versatility and toughness could help him become a highly impactful playmaker with Pro Bowl upside.

yes please.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/drew-sanders/32005341-4e29-0589-5c62-ee6a75833b2f

• Pie 2

Another very interesting "gem" is Eke Leota from Asheville.  He played at Northwestern and was a graduate transfer who played at Auburn.  He got hurt week 4 or so, and had 2 sacks at the time.  He is a large, run-stuffing OLB who can pressure the passer.  6' 4" and 257 llbs, he is under the radar---and should be there late in the draft (round 5).  He has met with 4 teams, one being the Panthers who had him in for a private workout. A strongside OLB is a need, imo.

From the Oct 3 2022 article about him:  "A 6-foot-4, 257-pound graduate transfer, Leota has 17 tackles, including five for loss, and two sacks. He had seven sacks last season after transferring from Northwestern.

"Eku is a big loss," Harsin said. "He's an emotional leader. He's one of the smartest football players we have."

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 2

What?   A no QB thread? 

Anyway, I would not be opposed to Sanders, but LB is not a huge need right now after FA and especially not with our second pick.  We need the best WR or edge guy remaining on the board with that pick.  I would take an ILB with the #93 pick if one should fall between Campbell or Sewell.  A guy I've mocked a good bit, Dorian Williams, has steadily moved up draft boards and is a late 3rd prospect.  We have options there.  Bumper Pool is a tackling machine and we could get him even later.

We need offensive weapons and that edge guy to compliment or even potentially replace Burns. I'm still shocked nothing has gotten with him done to this point.

Edited by 45catfan
  • Pie 1

1 hour ago, grimesgoat said:

Drew Sanders has been my guy for a while at 39.  He's getting a lot of buzz lately.  May be a day 1 guy.

Yeah, I think he will go earlier than people think-most of my mock simulators have him available at 39, but if you watch his tape--he has first round talent.

The good thing about picking at 39--some projected first rounder will drop.  And I still love edge rusher in round 2---ton of talent.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, 45catfan said:

What?   A no QB thread? 

Anyway, I would not be opposed to Sanders, but LB is not a huge need right now after FA and especially not with our second pick.  We need the best WR or edge guy remaining on the board with that pick.  I would take an ILB with the #93 pick if one should fall between Campbell or Sewell.  A guy I've mocked a good bit, Dorian Williams, has steadily moved up draft boards and is a late 3rd prospect.  We have options there.  Bumper Pool is a tackling machine and we could get him even later.

We need offensive weapons and that edge guy to compliment or even potentially replace Burns. I'm still shocked nothing has gotten with him done to this point.

The thing about Sanders (we are on the same page) is they say he plays edge better than inside--basically, he is a pass rusher who can rush from the ILB spot or move outside as the edge.  To your point, is the best edge/OLB on the board...that Leota would be an interesting addition.  Maybe they were talking to him because he is local (Asheville) and might want to be added to the Undrafted roster.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 1