• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Curious about Fitterer's options concerning trading Pick 39?

MHS831

PURELY HYPOTHETICAL CONJECTURE DESIGNED TO GIVE ROUND 2 A BIT MORE FOCUS AND GIVE THE STROUD/YOUNG/AR discussions a rest.

Going by the trade value chart, the easy partner is......

Da Bears.

Chicago Bears Nfl GIF by ADWEEKda bears GIF

The Panthers would send Chicago #39 and #93 (638 points) for picks #53 and #64 (640 points). 

Bears' Round 1 selection: The Bears need a LT  and they might select Paris Johnston (Ohio State) or Peter Skoronski (Northwestern, Ironically, who grew up in Chicago, went to Northwestern, but rooted for the Packers because his grandfather played for Green Bay under Lombardi.)  OL to protect Fields is priority #1.

With pick #39, the Bears will try to grab an edge rusher--that could cause them to trade up.  Felix Anudike-Uzomah (Kansas State) has been a player they are believed to like quite a bit.  They added a free agent edge rusher, but they need another.

If the Bears were to trade up (Fitterer and Poles apparently have a relationship), the Panthers would get 2 picks in this range (worth it?):

image.thumb.png.a0949146570933947a3dcfdfd219bec1.png

Panthers pick #53: Tuli Tuipulotu is perhaps the most versatile edge rusher in this draft, and that could be very appealing to a team like the Panthers. (I think he is ranked a bit low here). Here is what NFL.com said about the USC All-American after the combine:  "Defender possessing the rare blend of size, strength and athleticism to line up as an interior or edge defender in both 4-3 and 3-4 fronts. Tuipulotu plays with a go-go motor from the first snap to the last. His heavy-handed attack and ability to shed help compensate for a lack of length at the point of attack, while quick feet help him disrupt in gaps. He can play with a hand down or standing but needs to play with better discipline to eliminate voided fits. Tuipulotu is a power-based rusher with decent bend and flatten talent but he’s unlikely to win with his get-off alone. He should become a good starter."  I would think he would be a nice selection at pick 53, but if you want more of a smaller pass rushing OLB/edge, Hall (Auburn) and Foskey (Notre Dame) should be available.

Panthers pick #64:  In my view, Zavala (OG from NC State) could start at LG as a rookie if Christensen is moved to swing OT. He has visited the Panthers.  If not, the CBs in this range are impressive--there are 4 who could make us better at the position (Rush, Smith from South Carolina), Stevenson (Miami), and my personal favorite, Julius Brents (Kansas State).  Brents is interesting because nearly every team in the NFL had him in for a visit.

AT ANY RATE--THIS IS MY ATTEMPT TO DIRECT FOCUS FROM THE FIRST ROUND--WE COVERED IT.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 2

Not a fan of trading down anymore. It’s awesome on draft day but in Fitt’s tenure it hasn’t really worked out. I would rather stick to 39 or even trade up if you have a first round grade on someone that falls.

• Pie 4

1 minute ago, NAS said:

Not a fan of trading down anymore. It’s awesome on draft day but in Fitt’s tenure it hasn’t really worked out. I would rather stick to 39 or even trade up if you have a first round grade on someone that falls.

I was not that impressed with the pool of talent there--you can get a play maker (in my opinion) or a surefire solid starter at #39.  The problems surface when you trade down to try to fill too many needs. 

My opinion?  Take the edge or G at 39.  Lotta people want WR or TE there--but I am really warming to the TCU guard Avila at 39.  Not a popular opinion, but BC was not that good at LG last year, and if he moves to swing tackle, we fill 2 needs.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 3

2 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

Nah. At 39 we have a shot at a top tier TE, or some other positions that should still be fat with talent. Dropping that low might miss out on someone special at a lower value position like TE or OG

If the pick is bryce and if a top OG prospect falls, which in previous history looks to be the trend, then you have to keep building the line.

• Pie 4

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

If the pick is bryce and if a top OG prospect falls, which in previous history looks to be the trend, then you have to keep building the line.

I am thinking CB or TE with this pick. 

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

I guess it depends who "falls" but I really really want to get this line into the top 4/5ish in the nfl and spending premium capital is a sure fire way to do it

True you can never have enough OL depth on a cheap contract

• Pie 4

1 hour ago, NAS said:

I am thinking CB or TE with this pick. 

I find it very odd that we have not addressed CB at all this free agency period.  I mean, one of our starters tore his Achilles tendon.

Henderson and Taylor?  OK depth, I guess, but this is probably Jackson's last season here anyway.

• Pie 1

50 minutes ago, BriceYung9 said:

This is more of a conundrum than the first pick imo. Do we further protect the rookie QB, get him more play makers or continue to add to the strength of the defense? 

From what I can tell Fitt and Co stick to their board and like to get the most value at said pick no matter if it is BPA or not. We are not a perennial playoff team yet so solely going BPA is not best imo. 

Our top 30 visits are interesting and are an indicator we are leaning more offense at that pick, but you never know until the craziness of the draft ensues. 

I just hope we are going to look at positions of value and get 4 years of quality to exceptional play for moderate pay, so that we can use the deferred money to further solidify future success. 

If I were a betting man I would say pick #39 right now is OL, but don’t be surprised at a trade down to get more ammo to maneuver the amount of talent in the 2-3rd round this year. As we have heard from numerous media outlets this draft is not chock full of guaranteed 1st round talent but is deep at some positions and the difference between someone as say the RB3 and RB7 (for example) is not too far off in expected output. 

Good post.  10 bonus points for using the word "conundrum" in the introduction.  That tends to keep the trolls and dolts from reading the rest.

jacques torres netflix GIF by NailedIt

• Flames 1