• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Canes vs Islanders Game 1 Monday

Panthers Fan 69

I'll just re-post what I did in the Metro champ thread to get things started :

The Isles play a slow-plodding Heavy-game that will put you to sleep while they steal your lunch money.

And they've got a pretty good Goaltender as well. 

Canes need to exercise Patience here 'cause the Isles will always be looking to counter-attack on every mistake. 

Edited by glenwo2
  • Pie 1

best possible round 1 matchup, but nothing will be easy at this point.  Rod/the Canes way of play translates well in playoff series.  I would start Raanta at home and Freddie on the road.  Freddie has taken lots of grief and while he's not playing up to his best, I thought he played well in FL other than the one glaring mistake we would have had a 3 goal win.  Gonna need him if we have a long run in us.  If the Rangers and or Bruins run into any trouble, the playoff outlook for us changes drastically.

• Pie 1

46 minutes ago, backINblack28 said:

best possible round 1 matchup, but nothing will be easy at this point.  Rod/the Canes way of play translates well in playoff series.  I would start Raanta at home and Freddie on the road.  Freddie has taken lots of grief and while he's not playing up to his best, I thought he played well in FL other than the one glaring mistake we would have had a 3 goal win.  Gonna need him if we have a long run in us.  If the Rangers and or Bruins run into any trouble, the playoff outlook for us changes drastically.

I would run raanta the whole way. 

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, Panthers Fan 69 said:

I would run raanta the whole way. 

No he’s too “old” to stress like that, I was breathing into a paper bag when that redwing landed on him two games ago. I suspect and I hate to say it Freddie is going to be #1.

If there’s one thing we lacked last year, Freddie does tend to show up in the spotlight. Though I agree I’d rather have him play the road games. 

Edited by Harbingers
  • Pie 1

Canes went 3-1 versus the Isles during the season, allowing 9 goals in 4 games while scoring 12. And the Canes faced Sorokin in each of those 4 games.

And, I'll say it again, there are a handful of guys wearing Islander sweaters I'd think would play very well for the Canes: Pageau, Engvall, Lee, Nelson.

Barzal plays extremely well against the Canes, as does Anders Lee. It's playoff hockey season and anything can happen, guys.

If I'm not mistaken, the last time the Canes faced the Islanders was the 2018-2019 season. After beating the Caps in an exciting 7-game series, the Canes swept the Isles with the 4th win coming at home in PNC Arena. Yours truly was on-hand as I was honored as a Hero of the Game on May 3, 2019. 

• Beer 2

1 hour ago, Anybodyhome said:

Canes went 3-1 versus the Isles during the season, allowing 9 goals in 4 games while scoring 12. And the Canes faced Sorokin in each of those 4 games.

And, I'll say it again, there are a handful of guys wearing Islander sweaters I'd think would play very well for the Canes: Pageau, Engvall, Lee, Nelson.

Barzal plays extremely well against the Canes, as does Anders Lee. It's playoff hockey season and anything can happen, guys.

If I'm not mistaken, the last time the Canes faced the Islanders was the 2018-2019 season. After beating the Caps in an exciting 7-game series, the Canes swept the Isles with the 4th win coming at home in PNC Arena. Yours truly was on-hand as I was honored as a Hero of the Game on May 3, 2019. 

Right on man!  That’s cool. 

1 hour ago, Anybodyhome said:

I think this is why we'll outlast them--and while it could be a long series, what I'm about to say manifested itself very early in the series you talked about previously.....

they play a similar wear you down style as us that is built for a playoff series but they do it 1 with worse players and 2 with worse possession numbers & worse special teams. we may have a different ceiling without Svech but I dont think this is the team that will be exploiting it.

1 minute ago, backINblack28 said:

I think this is why we'll outlast them--and while it could be a long series, what I'm about to say manifested itself very early in the series you talked about previously.....

they play a similar wear you down style as us that is built for a playoff series but they do it 1 with worse players and 2 with worse possession numbers & worse special teams. we may have a different ceiling without Svech but I dont think this is the team that will be exploiting it.

Still scared of their goalie, one place they are much better than us. Hope Rod does the rotation of Raanta at home and Freddy on the road to start - if Freddy still looks shaky then just go with Raanta and hope for the best.

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, organicrusty1201 said:

Still scared of their goalie, one place they are much better than us. Hope Rod does the rotation of Raanta at home and Freddy on the road to start - if Freddy still looks shaky then just go with Raanta and hope for the best.

i'm scared of their goalie less than others in the playoffs--still the best matchup for us out there.  didn't matter in the season series and also i think we Canes fans aren't allowing ourselves to be objective about a matchup that's favored us in the regular season because of the inconsistency we've got at goaltending. But if one or both (or even Pyotr) plays like they're capable, that's the separator for us and theirs stealing the series is the only hope for them

• Pie 2

53 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Don’t have a problem with Dundon giving himself free advertising but the ‘golf course’ jokes are already in ‘full swing’ on social media.

Nothing says poverty franchise better than this stupid ad. Hate it.