• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

CJ Stroud Film Breakdown Megathread

Ricky Spanish

Have been re-watching the last two seasons for Stroud + Young and figured I'd take a stab at creating discussion around "the tape." Going to go through each game and pull three plays that made me question a prospect and three plays that got me excited for them.

CJ Stroud vs. Notre Dame (week 1)

3 Questionable Plays

• 00:06:14 
    CJ's first pass attempt of the season and he's sacked while staring down JSM. Never read the blitz despite the MLB creeping up and never took his eyes away from where JSM was heading. He had his TE open in the flat for the safe play, but got greedy seeing a potential big gain if he was able to get it to JSM. Ohio State does a good job of cutting the field down to one side for CJ and making the high-mid-low read. 

• 00:37:24
    2nd & 9 and down by 3 early in the 2nd quarter at around midfield. Notre Dame runs cover-2 man and the coverage is excellent. Stroud is in the shotgun and drops back about 5 yards more after getting the snap, which is something we've heard about Young doing so noticing it from Stroud caught my attention. What bothered me most about this play though is the forced throw into good coverage when he could have easily taken off and gotten the first down with his legs. Two of the biggest knocks on Stroud are how he's not the best off-script guy and his performance craters while under pressure from the defense. It also makes me curious to see whether or not he has issues on plays that are designed for him to throw on the run. Is it an issue of being off his platform, or is it strictly that he's not a strong improviser?

• 00:47:54
    LT gets beat on the inside and Stroud flicks it out to the check down even though he's got a man coming wide open over the middle and has nothing but green grass to his left. Would have loved to have seen him spin out here and buy time or come back to the middle on his reads rather than staring down JSM. It is worth noting, however, that after this particular play CJ started doing much better when it came to spinning out to avoid pressure and keeping plays alive with his feet. 

3 Exciting Plays

• 00:17:05
    This is the type of play that scouts want to see CJ execute while under pressure. Two blitzers are coming and Stroud takes a moment to shift and reset his feet before delivering an absolute dime of a throw to Egbuka's outside shoulder away from the defender. The ball placement alone allowed his WR to avoid being touched and sprint for the score. This is what folks are talking about when they talk about his accuracy and how he puts it out there for his playmakers to grab and go.

• 01:08:44
    I wasn't lying when I said that Stroud started doing much better with keeping plays alive after the play @ 00:47:54. Stroud feels the edge rusher on his back, spins out, and puts the ball right on his man. The throw looks like it was put out there to give his WR the ability to turn upfield for a few more yards, but Ballard's momentum was carrying him out. This is what we want to see more of.

• 01:36:03
    CJ gets a mulligan from the 00:47:54 play as the edge rusher beats the LT inside again. This time, CJ spins away and keeps the play alive long enough for his WR to come back to the boundary to convert the first. This play stood out to me specifically because the play-call was a mesh concept which we have heard again and again that Reich loves to use
Edited by Icege

1 minute ago, BriceYung9 said:

I’m not on thin ice and I haven’t trolled anyone. This is crazy to think a username has triggered so many. Do you read anything I say? I legit have even posted how I would like Stroud in scenarios based on visits we’ve had etc. Should I just change my username and blend in with the cohorts of the uncertain fans to not get unfairly deemed a troll. Lol I find it amusing but also troubling how many people assume rather than process things. 

what was your last username?

Just now, BriceYung9 said:

I had an account banned before because of a very biased Mod but I learned my lesson and just kept my rants to myself. Not adhering to the Old Boys ways can get you banned from the almighty CH. So do you want to keep targeting me for perception based bias or actually read what I say because at this point you just seem like you want to take out some frustrations. I posted a decently lengthy opinion on Stroud that I feel is not biased at all. Care to read or is it too many words for you that you don’t agree with? 

so yeah you didnt "lose" your password.

• Beer 1

Not sure if this has been posted. Interesting comments from Sheena Quick regarding the decision about QB and she seems to indicate that the Panthers would consider a trade down if pick #12 is involved. Starting about 11:37

Edited by Wolfcop
  • Beer 1

JSN paired with him would be sweet. I doubt that happens though… 

Seriously though if the Texans think Young is the answer at QB and no one else is this draft why wouldn’t they see what the price is? It’s hard to tell what’s legit.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1