• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

3-4 scheme

ericr0319

1. can anyone simply define what you are looking for in your front 7 here?

2. if we do not draft anyone, what is our week 1 starting lineup looking like and why a guy might thrive there/or not? (i've really only followed 4-3 defense because we have primarily been 4-3, with exception of 1 season from what I can remember.)

3. bonus questions where would a Campbell or Sanders fit in 3-4 and where would it move someone to benefit us?

• Pie 2

Best diagram guess Base 3-4:

Woods - Bell

Horn                                      Jackson

Burns - Shaq - Chinn - Luvu  

Brown - Tuttle - Williams

For nickel, you can have near identical personnel, Chinn & Luvu's assignments change.  Shaq & Luvu are the LBs.  Chinn big nickel.  Burns is standing strong side near the line. 

or another look....(if Chinn plays robber or creeps up to the box, disguise looks)

Chinn - Bell

Burns - Shaq - Luvu - Haynes (or rookie?)

Woods is the guy I'd be willing to sit to bring more flexibility.  

• Pie 2
  • Beer 3

13 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

Best diagram guess Base 3-4:

Woods - Bell

Burns - Shaq - Chinn - Luvu  

For nickel, you can have near identical personnel, Chinn & Luvu's assignments change.  Shaq & Luvu are the LBs.  Chinn big nickel.  Burns is standing strong side near the line. 

or another look....(if Chinn plays robber or creeps up to the box, disguise looks)

Chinn - Bell

Burns - Shaq - Luvu - Haynes (or rookie?)

Woods is the guy I'd be willing to sit to bring more flexibility.  

I dont believe your nickel assumption is correct. It would be helpful to add that Rowe would come on the field, horn would slide to nickel and Shaq would most likely leave the field. Also, Ervero ran a lot of 6 db 1lb. So i'd expect in our defense as well. Luckily, Chinn is a DB that can play LB.

Edited by TheCasillas

12 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

I dont believe your nickel assumption is correct. It would be helpful to add that Rowe would come on the field, horn would slide to nickel and Shaq would most likely leave the field. Also, Ervero ran a lot of 6 db 1lb. So i'd expect in our defense as well. Luckily, Chinn is a DB that can play LB.

One thing is true, there's a lot we can do.  The objective in my assumption was how we maximize our best players, making sure Chinn & Luvu are on the field the bulk of the time.  

What's your guess at our nickel package? That's the one to configure as it's going to.be the majority looks.  

Edited by Bear Hands

10 minutes ago, RJK said:

Right now it’s looking like no matter what they’ll be light inside and easy to run on. After the draft we’ll have a better idea but shaq and chinn can’t take on guards all game 

Exactly. Rolling with what we have atm, this is what we look like:

LOLB: Yetur Gross- Matos - Amare Barno 
LILB: Shaq Thompson - Brandon Smith 
RILB: Frankie Luvu - Kamu Grugier-Hill - Arron Mosby 
ROLB: Brian Burns - Marquis Haynes 

Theres also the possibility of Henry Anderson lining up at OLB. Chinn is backing up at safety and only brought in on special packages. 

Typical 3-4 ILBs are usually around 230-250lbs, sometimes close to 260, and the OLBs are around the same size as 4-3 DEs. Chinn is neither.

Edited by KillerKat
  • Beer 1

20 minutes ago, KillerKat said:

Exactly. Rolling with what we have atm, this is what we look like:

LOLB: Yetur Gross- Matos - Amare Barno 
LILB: Shaq Thompson - Brandon Smith 
RILB: Frankie Luvu - Kamu Grugier-Hill - Arron Mosby 
ROLB: Brian Burns - Marquis Haynes 

Theres also the possibility of Henry Anderson lining up at OLB. Chinn is backing up at safety and only brought in on special packages. 

Typical 3-4 ILBs are usually around 230-250lbs, sometimes close to 260, and the OLBs are around the same size as 4-3 DEs. Chinn is neither.

I agree, not saying he is per se, I'm just having a hard time placing him.  Do note, he is 6'3 225 so it's not like he's some shrimp out there.  And he said he's bulking more so he could be pressing towards 230.  But that does not mean he's instantly a 3-4 ILB.  But if Navarro Bowman could make it work with Patrick Willis in a Fangio scheme....just saying...

What you're saying is more in line with my second diagram, just YGM in lieu of Haynes. 

I am having a little bit of a hard time with people (outside pundits) talking about us in terms of having a good defense. 

We have no real idea what we will get, I don't expect it to be good this year, honestly. Traditionally, this sort of reshuffle takes you a step back before there will be a step forward.

47 minutes ago, DrowsyJungle said:

Yeah I agree. Unless it's a 3-3-5 and they roam him wherever. I don't know what they're going to do.

I think a trade for a WR would be best for Chinn and us. Especially if we can get a starting caliber WR.

Chinn is a great talent but you have to have a defined role for him. 3-4 is not a scheme you will get the best out of him. 

3 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

I think a trade for a WR would be best for Chinn and us. Especially if we can get a starting caliber WR.

Chinn is a great talent but you have to have a defined role for him. 3-4 is not a scheme you will get the best out of him. 

If Chinn gains around 10 lbs he could fill a Kam Chancellor type role. We'll see what happens though.

4 hours ago, stratocatter said:

I am having a little bit of a hard time with people (outside pundits) talking about us in terms of having a good defense. 

We have no real idea what we will get, I don't expect it to be good this year, honestly. Traditionally, this sort of reshuffle takes you a step back before there will be a step forward.

I think they’ll be able to rush the passer with a lot of success…but if the opponent lines up and runs it down their throat not much resistance there. Hopefully the draft and late camp cuts fills out the middle of the D