• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Round 2: Assessing the Field

Bear Hands

7 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

On the last prospect to pros podcast they talk in depth about how both Quinten Johnson and jaxon smith may fall into the 2nd.

interesting

Quinten is really interesting to me, he came in smaller and tested less athletic than expected, I could see that fall. Jaxon falling would break my brain but i've been wrong plenty before.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

On the last prospect to pros podcast they talk in depth about how both Quinten Johnson and jaxon smith may fall into the 2nd.

interesting

I can definitely see Johnston falling. I have him ending up with HOU at the top of R2 right now.

16 hours ago, Bear Hands said:

Love Kincaid. Love Kuntz.

Otherwise, I wholeheartedly disagree. Musgrave gives me the most trepidation. LaPorta has shown he can actually carry an entire offense. It wasn’t a good one, but I don’t know man. There were advanced blocking tech that he’s able to perform while being the team’s main target. You just don’t see that. And it’s a proven school for TEs.

Musgrave has shown next to nothing in college. There’s barely anything to go on for even liking him.

To each their own. 

16 hours ago, stan786 said:

What do you dislike about LaPorta? His size I’d assume? Which makes some sense. I just think he’s just a lot more fluid on tape than Kuntz, especially after the catch. He’s gonna be a hell of a receiving threat and he shows a lot of upside in the blocking area, and athletic trait wise he’s pretty elite.

LaPorta just doesn’t bring enough blocking, and based on his size I don’t think he ever will. He’s a receiving TE and his speed is good but again, size wise he’s not going to consistently body LBs over the middle IMO. I think he could be a good but not great receiving TE and average blocker, so I just don’t see the upside with him that I do with some others. Washington and Musgrave are better blockers, especially Washington, who provide more potential upside in the receiving game, even though Washington is kind of heavy footed. Kuntz is maybe as good of a blocker right now, but his athleticism at 6’7 is insane and gives him more room to grow than LaPorta. I think the only TEs I’d really want at the top of the second will be gone in Kincaid and Mayer. I like Washington, Musgrave, and Kuntz all in round 3 but they may all be gone since our rd 3 pick is kinda late. I’d be fine with LaPorta in that case. He’s TE 6 for me.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, WUnderhill said:

LaPorta just doesn’t bring enough blocking, and based on his size I don’t think he ever will. He’s a receiving TE and his speed is good but again, size wise he’s not going to consistently body LBs over the middle IMO. I think he could be a good but not great receiving TE and average blocker, so I just don’t see the upside with him that I do with some others. Washington and Musgrave are better blockers, especially Washington, who provide more potential upside in the receiving game, even though Washington is kind of heavy footed. Kuntz is maybe as good of a blocker right now, but his athleticism at 6’7 is insane and gives him more room to grow than LaPorta. I think the only TEs I’d really want at the top of the second will be gone in Kincaid and Mayer. I like Washington, Musgrave, and Kuntz all in round 3 but they may all be gone since our rd 3 pick is kinda late. I’d be fine with LaPorta in that case. He’s TE 6 for me.

I guess we're just seeing things a bit differently.  Highly disagree Washington & Musgrave are better blockers.  That's actually part of the concern with both LM and DW. 

Seeing reports are Washington and LaPorta are even fringe 1st consideration and I believe it.  Musgrave could fall due to a few concerns including experience and just doesn't have the in-game strength you want to see. 

Washington could go as high as to Dallas in R1, the upside is just tremendous, but his concerns but his are with his blocking technique and cutting loose after initial contact.

LaPorta can do it all, and was already asked to.  Something you just don't see out of college TEs to that degree.  And from a program that's produced some.  

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2023/04/07/potential-bengals-draft-target-te-sam-laporta-keeps-seeing-his-stock-rise/

For me, LaPorta, Kraft & Schoonmaker are the ones that stand out the most after Kincaid.  But to each their own.