• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I Hate Firing People

Sultan33g

The worst part of any management position is having to let them go. Just had to fire my executive housekeeper and well it didn't go so well. Problem is, and it is partly my fault, she has family that also works at this establishment. I have a huge departmental meeting about how things are going to change around here with cuts and extra work, and I hope they all don't walk out on me. What if any advise do any of you have when it comes to dealing with the aftermath of a firing?

Just remember that if the firing was warranted, that you didn't commit the acts that got the person fired, you just held them accountable for their actions/lack of.

Even when you have no choice and it's coming down from above you're just doing your job. It's really tough though, good luck!

Just remember that if the firing was warranted, that you didn't commit the acts that got the person fired, you just held them accountable for their actions/lack of.

Even when you have no choice and it's coming down from above you're just doing your job. It's really tough though, good luck!

thanks bro...it was warranted, it just gets annoying when they make up excuses after excuses when it comes to why they shouldn't be fired.

If they quit they're only hurting themselves... if they start screwing up on purpose to hurt you or the business, make it clear that you'll fire them too.

well I think most of them understand that if I am firing the exec than I can fire anybody if it comes down to it.

We had to lay off/fire a guy Friday. Hate doing it before the holidays but he was screwing up frequently and our work has slowed down a ton.

ya, times are rough and sometimes it needs to be done...problem is she was working her butt off probably figuring that she might get laid off..problem was all her housekeepers didnt like her very much and she was costing me too much housekeeping costs

I've only fired two people... mainly because we don't really hire that many and the ones I've had have been really good.

I had to fire a guy the week before Christmas last year... it really sucked, I hated doing it, but I had no choice. He wouldn't listen, wouldn't do what we asked, and was generally just a screw-up and was making my life difficult. He was pissed, wanted to argue about it, and I ended up telling him to get out...

Sometimes you just gotta do what you're paid to do... don't feel bad about it.

Archived