• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dan orlovsky on AR post pro day

raleigh-panther

7 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

Dalton signed with the Bears expecting to be the starter as they didn't have a high pick, they then traded up for Fields and still started Dalton the first few weeks until he got hurt.  Dalton has also said he knows he's here to be a backup and mentor, he knows he's not starting week 1.

Jimmy G wasn't brought in to be Lance's mentor, they drafted Lance with the intention of letting Jimmy play out that first year and let Lance learn to take over in year 2, which they did until he got hurt.

Cam was always going to be the starter from day 1 and was MILES ahead of AR in his readiness, so the backup needed to be a seasoned vet who would be ready to step in if Cam got hurt, and help him behind the scenes, not on the field as much.

If the plan was AR, you sign one of the better QBs and more mobile than Dalton, like a Brissett, Two Gloves or even Heinicke, because you'd be starting them probably this whole season but can still run the style offense that you're likely going to try and build around AR.  Having AR spend his rookie year learning and practicing an offense built for Andy Dalton would be a waste of a season, you want him learning the system he'll play with from day 1.

The whole point of Anthony Richardson isn't that you design an offence around him running - the running is the sprinkle on top. He's an actual pocket QB that happens to run a 4.4.

He'd be able to run the same offence as Dalton, with a whole package of Read-option plays just for him.

Newton had an entire additional year of starting QB experience over Richardson - and he was a QB that you should have done the above with - he was a running QB that happened to be able to throw. 

7 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

Well that's just not true, Drew Brees didn't have a special playbook because he was short, that's just nonsense.

Dalton was brought in because he's what Derek Anderson was to Cam, the seasoned vet who can step in and play if needed, but really there to help the rookie off the field in how to go about being a QB, in the film room, reading defenses, etc.  

The signing of Dalton to me was the clear signal that AR wasn't under serious consideration and that we wouldn't be trading back to #3 like some people here wanted.  Especially when he then said that he knew what his role was, that he was here to backup and support the rookie, he knows the rookie is starting week 1 and that's not going to be AR for anyone (outside of injury to the starter).

I think all of the FA signings on offence have just been about assembling a competent team.

The OLine is good (injuries withstanding) and you have sprinklings of talent at the skill positions, but Hurst, Sanders, Thielen and Chalk provide some veteran competency in their respective position group rooms. 

Andy Dalton absolutely can start Day 1 - he's nowhere near what he once was, but he can hold down the fort until you get your #1 overall pick ready. 

All this talk about the team being in "win-now" mode makes me think some of you are setting yourselves up for disappointment next season. We're installing a brand new offence and defence with a brand new coaching staff and (presumably) a rookie QB. We're not going to come out of the gates like gangbusters. 

We will be the laughing stock of the nfl if we take AR.  He simply is not good.  I don’t care what kind of talent he had around him at Florida - his low completion % was more of a result of poor throws than poor WR play.  His accuracy is awful.  At the nfl level he will get picked off often.

• Pie 2

24 minutes ago, Barney said:

I am more interested in the between the ears at this point.  We've seen you can have the greatest potential, but not have the processing speed, mental toughness or ability to learn a playbook many many times in this league.   I really don't want to go with the combine stuff to pic a QB.  I want someone that has proven they can make smart, quick decisions under pressure.  

Which is what his tape shows.

38 minutes ago, Varking said:

I think he’s going to be better in the pros than in college easily. I’ve said this a bunch. There was a lot of drama and a lack of talent at Florida this year and he suffered for it. 

Watch the game tape against Kentucky.  Dude couldn’t hit the ocean with a beach ball.  Against NFL CBs, he would have had 10 interceptions that game.  His lack of WR talent has nothing to do with 10-15 yard overthrows.  Heck the few he did complete were either wide open receivers or great catches made on bad throws 

• Pie 2

16 minutes ago, Smithers said:

Watch the game tape against Kentucky.  Dude couldn’t hit the ocean with a beach ball.  Against NFL CBs, he would have had 10 interceptions that game.  His lack of WR talent has nothing to do with 10-15 yard overthrows.  Heck the few he did complete were either wide open receivers or great catches made on bad throws 

He's a Gators fan, he'll have seen more of Richardson than any of us.

Kentucky (a good defence btw) was Richardson's 3rd ever career start (I think he started a game as a Redshirt Freshman). Even then he's pulling out throws like this: 

*this video is difficult to watch - there's 3 legit terrible drops immediately after that incredible throw 

The deal that people seem to be missing about Richardson is that it's not what he currently is that people are drafting, it's what he's got a chance of becoming. That isn't 'pie in the sky' potential either based purely on his measurables, you can visibly see him improve throughout the 2022 season and his pocket presence / processing is one of the more impressive things about him. 

If he doesn't progress a lick from where he is now he's still a second round pick and an NFL starter - a big armed QB with a nice deep ball that you'd lean on heavily in the running game (until he inevitably broke).

As I've repeatedly said, I think it's all a moot point 'cos we're most likely taking Stroud, but Richardson is the only QB I get excited about in this Draft. 

Edited by OldhamA
  • Flames 1

46 minutes ago, Smithers said:

We will be the laughing stock of the nfl if we take AR.  He simply is not good.  I don’t care what kind of talent he had around him at Florida - his low completion % was more of a result of poor throws than poor WR play.  His accuracy is awful.  At the nfl level he will get picked off often.

I am hoping it is a situation similar to last year. Bunch of hype coming out of the pro day and it seemed we may have multiple QBs in the first. 
Man were we and the media wrong about that. I think the same thing will happen here. 

• Pie 1