• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Adam Schefter: Bryce Young is believed to be favorite for #1 for the Panthers right now

TheSpecialJuan

1 minute ago, Shocker said:

Nick Saban was plugging his guy, I get that, but his comments about what is between Young’s ears as being something special was telling to me.  He talked about processing quickly and making everyone else better.  I like that.  He said he did that as good as anyone he has been around 

I love everything about Bryce Young...

... except that one thing 😕

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I love everything about Bryce Young...

... except that one thing 😕

Agreed…there is risk.  There always is a risk.  He is legit very small.  Normally I would not pick a player this small.  I waffle myself.  But…he is so great at playing the position it trumps that for me.  CMC was too small to play RB but he was just different 

• Pie 1

23 minutes ago, Hogan said:

I've been going to games for a long time. I remember when I was in college in 1977, I went to the Final Four in Atlanta. UNC's Mike O'Koren had a career game hisinst UNLV scoring 31 points. That ONE game on the national stage paved the way for his being an All-American from '78 to '80. I saw nearly every game in his college career. The point: He was good but not that good. That ONE game stayed in the minds of people nationally who didn't see him game in and game out. His

reer proved he was an average player.

The question: I saw a lot written about Stroud in the fall, people saying never take an Ohio State QB because of their NFL track record. There were lots of questions about him in the fall. Then came the Georgia game and the question is: Is that who Stroud really is? Or, did he simply have a career game on the biggest stage, like O'Koren?

I don't remember what analyst said it but he mentioned that Hall of Fame Coach Bill Walsh use to tell his scouts to discard a player's top 5 worst highlights along with their top 5 best highlights, and somewhere in-between is the best gauge of projecting how said player will translate to the pros. 

I'm thinking a lot of noise has been made of Strouds performance against Georgia. In between I think he is a solid qb that can make plays on script. When things break down I don't see much brilliance in his play.

I think he is Jared Goff. Goff at his best is in the top 8-15 best QB in the league when everything is on script. However, when he faces pressure or doesn't have the supporting cast, he can plummet into late teens to early 20s in QB rank, where you are questioning if you should look for an upgrade at QB

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, gmonjimbo said:

I don't remember what analyst said it but he mentioned that Hall of Fame Coach Bill Walsh use to tell his scouts to discard a player's top 5 worst highlights along with their top 5 best highlights, and somewhere in-between is the best gauge of projecting how said player will translate to the pros. 

That's how they judge gymnastics routines.

Throw out the top score and the bottom score and keep the rest.

Edited by Mr. Scot

7 minutes ago, gmonjimbo said:

I'm thinking a lot of noise has been made of Strouds performance against Georgia. In between I think he is a solid qb that can make plays on script. When things break down I don't see much brilliance in his play.

I think he is Jared Goff. Goff at his best is in the top 8-15 best QB in the league when everything is on script. However, when he faces pressure or doesn't have the supporting cast, he can plummet into late teens to early 20s in QB rank, where you are questioning if you should look for an upgrade at QB

People might see Justin Fields but he can’t run like Fields.  He is more accurate than Goff but not by a lot.  Some people might ask if Stroud really played any great defenses except Georgia.  His team lost btw against good defenses if you include Michigan.  Hmm

Edited by Shocker

7 minutes ago, Day1PanthersFan said:

I think Young is the more skilled, but he is going to get killed in the NFL 

Stroud is a safer pick

This argument bothers me.  Young has amazing awareness in the pocket.  Stroud didn’t need to show that outside of the Georgia game.  You can’t sell me that Young won’t stay healthy but Stroud will.  I don’t agree.

The Bama OL was not very good last season

Edited by Shocker
  • Pie 2

13 minutes ago, Shocker said:

This argument bothers me.  Young has amazing awareness in the pocket.  Stroud didn’t need to show that outside of the Georgia game.  You can’t sell me that Young won’t stay healthy but Stroud will.  I don’t agree.

The Bama OL was not very good last season

Stroud is historically small for a QB from a build standpoint just as much as height, that's the difference.

It's no guarantee that Stroud would stay healthy of course, but there is a significantly raised risk of Young's body being able to hold up for a long career.  The other successful sub 6' QB's were a bit stockier to hold up more, like Wilson and Brees.

Defensive players are just getting bigger, one clean Parsons hit on Young and he could get broken in two.

• Poo 1