• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Adam Schefter: Bryce Young is believed to be favorite for #1 for the Panthers right now

TheSpecialJuan

3 minutes ago, Shocker said:

You seriously believe they sat around the table and said to each other “we don’t know who we want but lets do this”.  Doesn’t feel like reality.  They went up to 1 for at most 2 guys but they definitely have a target and it isn’t AR or Levis 

I seriously believe they say around and said, "we could take this guy, or this guy, maybe that guy if we do some more research on him".

That's reasonable, and reports have said that's exactly what they're doing.

The notion that they have to be settled on only one guy rather than two or three to do this has no basis in fact.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1

I've been going to games for a long time. I remember when I was in college in 1977, I went to the Final Four in Atlanta. UNC's Mike O'Koren had a career game against UNLV scoring 31 points. That ONE game on the national stage paved the way for his being an All-American from '78 to '80. I saw nearly every game in his college career. The point: He was good but not that good. That ONE game stayed in the minds of people nationally who didn't see him game in and game out. His NBA career proved he was an average player.

The question: I saw a lot written about Stroud in the fall, people saying never take an Ohio State QB because of their NFL track record. There were lots of questions about him in the fall. Then came the Georgia game and the question is: Is that who Stroud really is? Or, did he simply have a career game on the biggest stage, like O'Koren?

Don't think that the Panthers haven't been pouring time and money into every potential QB since about week 5 of last year. They absolutely have a favorite and were willing to trade up for him. Everything coming is all about confirming their guy or pivoting.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I seriously believe they say around and said, "we could take this guy, or this guy, maybe that guy if we do some more research on him".

That's reasonable, and reports have said that's exactly what they're doing.

The notion that they have to be settled on only one guy rather than two or three to do this has no basis in fact.

There is no way David Tepper sitting at that table listening to that doesn’t go ballistic.  A plan doesn’t include “we will think on it”.  IMO they probably already know who they are picking.  Outside of some crazy off the field development they are going to pick that player.  This group of coaches are very level headed unlike prior regimes.

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, Shocker said:

There is no way David Tepper sitting at that table listening to that doesn’t go ballistic.  A plan doesn’t include “we will think on it”.  IMO they probably already know who they are picking.  Outside of some crazy off the field development they are going to pick that player.  This group of coaches are very level headed unlike prior regimes.

If you're smart, it does.

Our own people have stated numerous times that talking to the players is extremely important to what they do. That's why the pro days and visits and such are so valuable.

Ask yourself which is better: knowing the pick soon or getting the pick right?

They have until Draft Day to debate this if they do desire. And as long as they get it right, where's the problem if it takes till then to do so?

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 2

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

If you're smart, it does.

Our own people have stated numerous times that talking to the players is extremely important to what they do. That's why the pro days and visits and such are so valuable.

Ask yourself which is better: Having the choice soon or getting the choice right?

They have until Draft Day to debate this if they do desire. And as long as they get it right, where's the problem if it takes till then to do so?

Honestly we will never get this information but this pick is Young or Stroud and I personally think it is Young.  

I was Young first, then ok with Stroud after the Georgia game...but hearing the other day that Young would call two plays in the huddle and then pick one as part of his pre-snap read when he saw what the D was doing sews it up for me. Take Bryce. He had an NFL coach from the Belichick tree as his OC, and he surely has much more awareness and smarts to avoid hits than we have worries about him getting injured. 

A tell-tale sign of his views about himself is his insurance policy. If it's for an obscene number, then we know that he believes the NFL is high-risk. But if it's a typical policy, then we know he isn't worried and neither should we.

I could still change though if it's proven that Stroud has done the same.

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, Shocker said:

Honestly we will never get this information but this pick is Young or Stroud and I personally think it is Young.  

We might.

The full backstory of the discussions behind the Newton pick came out not that long after it occurred.

Teams generally don't care if you know when they were bluffing once the poker game is over.

Nick Saban was plugging his guy, I get that, but his comments about what is between Young’s ears as being something special was telling to me.  He talked about processing quickly and making everyone else better.  I like that.  He said he did that as good as anyone he has been around 

Edited by Shocker