• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jalen Carter Officially a Walking Red Flag

WUnderhill

8 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

I was actually joking.

There is 0% chance he falls to the 2nd round. Some contender in the late 1st would take him in a heartbeat.

What does his film say?

I get that, the film will pop, but for someone who was already dealing with a massive amount of red flags, him putting on that much weight in the last 2 weeks and not being ready for his Pro Day is about as bad of a sign as it gets for a player.

Even playoff teams might not want him because they just don't think he has the right mentality to be an NFL player, that's laziness to a supreme level.

I'm guessing there are at least a dozen or so teams that completely took him off their draft board today and wouldn't touch him no matter how far he falls.

• Pie 1

Just now, ClawOn said:

Seems like maybe he doesn't love football. Most people would love anything they could do to make generational wealth but to each their own 

I'm not sure it says he doesn't love football as much as saying he just isn't a hard worker.

Maybe there is something else going on that will come out, like an injury, but he has had a couple months to get into the best shape of his life for the most important job interview he'll ever have.

He could still love football, but if he couldn't work hard for 2-3 months to be ready for today, that to me is more of a work ethic situation, but who knows.

I’d imagine he’s under more pressure than most of us could even comprehend between preparing for the draft and looming legal issues tied to the death of a friend and teammate. Gaining weight and falling out of shape makes sense 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 3

4 minutes ago, RJK said:

I’d imagine he’s under more pressure than most of us could even comprehend between preparing for the draft and looming legal issues tied to the death of a friend and teammate. Gaining weight and falling out of shape makes sense 

Downplaying it quite a bit. Exercise is a stress reliever. This at the very least tells me he does not deal with stress in a healthy way. We drafted another guy who ate his stress. Kelvin Benjamin got away with it for a couple years but it eventually caught up to him. Coming into training camp fat and out of shape every year only works for so long. Carter might have a couple good years on talent alone, but I would be seriously concerned with the long term.

• Beer 1

9 minutes ago, WUnderhill said:

Downplaying it quite a bit. Exercise is a stress reliever. This at the very least tells me he does not deal with stress in a healthy way. We drafted another guy who ate his stress. Kelvin Benjamin got away with it for a couple years but it eventually caught up to him. Coming into training camp fat and out of shape every year only works for so long. Carter might have a couple good years on talent alone, but I would be seriously concerned with the long term.

Sure. I was simply stating that considering the circumstances it’s not abnormal for a person to react this way under stress. I’m not interested in the player and I don’t think Carolina is either but my point was more to the human experience sans football. I wouldn’t be surprised if he was a bust or if he went to the right situation and balled out. I’ve def self sabotaged under much less pressure 

Edited by RJK
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 4

2 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

I wouldn't take him if he fell to our 3rd rounder, he's 100% off my draft board now.

If you can't be in good enough shape at your Pro Day to even finish the drills, then you aren't going to last in the NFL, he clearly doesn't have the right mindset that you want in a player.

It would be one thing if he just didn't put up good numbers, but he put on 9 lbs in the last 2 weeks and couldn't finish his drills.  He wants to be an NFL player, today was the most important job interview he'll ever have in his life, and he couldn't be bothered to be in shape for it.

You really want to use a draft pick that would get us a possible starter on someone like that?

Very very very very hard pass, this is a player who won't get a second contract in the league I have a feeling.

It's almost like he's currently embroiled in a legal dispute and his mind his elsewhere.

If he's there in the second round you run to the podium. 

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1