• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Remaining Needs

Smithers

Day 1 was active for us.  Not a single WR or RB agreed to terms league wide yesterday, likely bringing the cost of those contracts down.  We currently have 54 players under contract, with the following needs as we head into day 2 of the tampering period:

1. QB (obviously draft, but maybe vet as well)

2. WR

3. RB (Foreman offered)

4. TE

5. DE 

I have a feeling the DE domino could fall today.  

• Pie 3

I'd like to see us get a TE like Schultz or Gesicki. It's a good draft for TEs and one will probably be there in the second round but rookie TEs usually take a year or two before they start to produce. TE is going to be an important part of Reich's offense so a good, reliable vet is needed.

• Pie 5

Honestly I believe NT is a lot higher than most of these. We have more DE's that are from Okay to decent than NT's. I know we signed a DT but I don't believe he's a true NT. 3-4 Defenses really need an anchor piece at NT if you don't have one it's hard af to create pressure and stop the run. Honestly hope we address that in the draft seeing as there are around 3 to 4 good NT's that could solidify that spot.  We know QB will be filled, WR will be filled, TE as well. I just believe not enough emphasis is being displayed for NT. 

• Beer 2

3 minutes ago, Billy Goat said:

I'd like to see us get a TE like Schultz or Gesicki. It's a good draft for TEs and one will probably be there in the second round but rookie TEs usually take a year or two before they start to produce. TE is going to be an important part of Reich's offense so a good, reliable vet is needed.

Agreed - it’s time for us to swing on a big FA at the position.  Doing so will allow us to take a pass rusher or WR with our second rounder.  Gesicki will be the cheaper option of the two, but may still be pricey judging by the low tier TE contracts handed out yesterday 

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

Honestly I believe NT is a lot higher than most of these. We have more DE's that are from Okay to decent than NT's. I know we signed a DT but I don't believe he's a true NT. 3-4 Defenses really need an anchor piece at NT if you don't have one it's hard af to create pressure and stop the run. Honestly hope we address that in the draft seeing as there are around 3 to 4 good NT's that could solidify that spot.  We know QB will be filled, WR will be filled, TE as well. I just believe not enough emphasis is being displayed for NT. 

Tuttle is a confirmed NT in our system as reported by a team source yesterday.  I imagine McCall/Roy and a rookie would back him up. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

WR is scary.  I had no idea that the free agent and draft were this bad until after the DJ Moore trade.   Marshall (not yet 23) and Shenault (not yet 25) will have to play bigger roles--both are very young and there is reason to expect them to step up this year.  I am hoping one of the two slot WRs on the PS will emerge (CJ Sanders, Derek Wright--both flashed during the preseason, 2022).

Shenault will get his chances--he was not used that much, but he had an 85 PFF rating--was targeted 32 times and caught 27 of them.  He is 6'2" and 220--He was the 42 overall pick in the 2021 draft and had over 600 yards as a rookie.

Our remaining WRs are very young, but they have experience.  We need a pass catching TE and another good WR.  I would love to see one in free agency and then at pick 39. 

About TMJ:  He had nearly 500 yards on 28 catches (42 targets) for a 17.5 average per reception.  His PFF grade was a respectable 67.7.  He seems to be ready to turn the corner.  He is going to be 23, so his best football is ahead of him.  Pair him with Shenault and another mid-level free agent WR, a new rookie (at pick 39) and maybe CJ Saunders/Derek Wright as a fifth or sixth, this WR group could surprise.

Unusual Take:  Giovanni Ricci is a converted WR playing TE/FB.  He has good hands, runs good routes, and is efficient.  He is 6'3" and currently weighs 240, and his 40 time is in the 4.7 range.  He was targeted 9 times in 2022 and caught 8 of them for 100 yards.  His PFF score was a respectable 63.6, but that could improve with more use. Could he drop 15 pounds and become more of a hybrid Hback/WR/TE? 

I know we need 2 stud WRs in addition to what we have, but if Marshall and Shenault could step up (they are both under 25, so it is possible) this WR unit might not be as bad as people think.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 2

6 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

WR is scary.  I had no idea that the free agent and draft were this bad until after the DJ Moore trade.   Marshall (not yet 23) and Shenault (not yet 25) will have to play bigger roles--both are very young and there is reason to expect them to step up this year.  I am hoping one of the two slot WRs on the PS will emerge (CJ Sanders, Derek Wright--both flashed during the preseason, 2022).

Shenault will get his chances--he was not used that much, but he had an 85 PFF rating--was targeted 32 times and caught 27 of them.  He is 6'2" and 220--

Our remaining WRs are very young, but they have experience.  We need a pass catching TE and another good WR.  I would love to see one in free agency and then at pick 39. 

About TMJ:  He had nearly 500 yards on 28 catches (42 targets) for a 17.5 average per reception.  His PFF grade was a respectable 67.7.  He seems to be ready to turn the corner.  He is going to be 23, so his best football is ahead of him.  Pair him with Shenault and another mid-level free agent WR, a new rookie (at pick 39) and maybe CJ Saunders/Derek Wright as a fifth or sixth, this WR group could surprise.

Unusual Take:  Giovanni Ricci is a converted WR playing TE/FB.  He has good hands, runs good routes, and is efficient.  He is 6'3" and currently weighs 240, and his 40 time is in the 4.7 range.  He was targeted 9 times in 2022 and caught 8 of them for 100 yards.  His PFF score was a respectable 63.6, but that could improve with more use. Could he drop 15 pounds and become more of a hybrid Hback/WR/TE? 

I know we need 2 stud WRs in addition to what we have, but if Marshall and Shenault could step up (they are both under 25, so it is possible) this WR unit might not be as bad as people think.

I love Ricci and hope the team finds ways to get him more involved.  I do think we add a speedster in the coming days (Campbell, Hardman) and also a TE (likely mid tier like Hooper) to allow us to some flexibility in the draft.  

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Smithers said:

I love Ricci and hope the team finds ways to get him more involved.  I do think we add a speedster in the coming days (Campbell, Hardman) and also a TE (likely mid tier like Hooper) to allow us to some flexibility in the draft.  

I like the Hooper call out and should not be super expensive. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Billy Goat said:

There is a chance the TE FA market might be depressed because there are good draft options in the first 2-3 rounds. 

If so, I hope we pounce on a reasonable contract option.

• Pie 4

23 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

There is a chance the TE FA market might be depressed because there are good draft options in the first 2-3 rounds. 

If so, I hope we pounce on a reasonable contract option.

This is how I feel, if teams are waiting on the draft we could possibly get a nice little steal contract wise. I wouldnt mind taking a second one during the draft as well tbh.

• Beer 1