• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gantt indicates the Panthers should bring in Carr

TheMaulClaw

15 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

That's already his preference (stated numerous times).

But is it Frank Reich's preference?

Does he have full control and I missed that? Looking at his history with the Colts and what went down with Wentz I'd have to imagine that would factor into his future approach around the position. Didn't he go to the playoffs with Brissett? We'll find out soon.

38 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

He should be cheaper than Carr, he's thrown for 169 less TDs and 24,872 less yards than Derek. 

Brissett has largely been a backup, so of course his stats are going to pale to a guy that has started his entire career.  Do an apples to apples comparison.  I'll take a look too.

• Pie 1

So following up on the above post, Brissett has about half the starts as Carr.  Comparing apples to apples, there actually isn't a significant difference between the two.  Carr is marginally better in a few categories, BUT $40M is a lot of cap space when a player with insignificantly inferior stats could be had at a FRACTION of the cost.

Plus, and this is the most important part, Brissett already knows Reich's system.

Edited by 45catfan
  • Pie 1

1 hour ago, 45catfan said:

Brissett has largely been a backup, so of course his stats are going to pale to a guy that has started his entire career.  Do an apples to apples comparison.  I'll take a look too.

An apples to apples comparison - one has been a starter for the entirety of his NFL career, the other has been a journeyman backup. 

Just now, OldhamA said:

An apples to apples comparison - one has been a starter for the entirety of his NFL career, the other has been a journeyman backup. 

I hear ya Captain Obvious, but $40M versus, say, $15M is pretty significant considering their comparable stats aren't all that different. 

1 minute ago, 45catfan said:

I hear ya Captain Obvious, but $40M versus, say, $15M is pretty significant considering their comparable stats aren't all that different. 

Which is why we should pass on Carr. He wants the bag. We don't have enough on this roster to make a run with him even in a weaker NFC.

• Poo 1

1 hour ago, 45catfan said:

I'd rather not have Brissett under any circumstances - I don't see the point. 

Carr gives you a quality starting option for 3 years while you find 'the guy'. Brissett just clogs up the roster. 

• Beer 1

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Not when the team is reportedly "done with you", it isn't.

All indications are at this point they're ready to call pretty much any bluff he plays.

Throw in that his likely most amorous suitor is a team that's in the AFC and employs a coach he likes very much.

If they were surely done with him, they'd have likely said so by now. Plus, who's bluffing, and about what? He's had them on a string for years, and that continues as of right now.

https://madison.com/sports/football/professional/aaron-rodgers-is-still-with-the-packers-after-his-darkness-retreat-here-is-where-things/article_48e8906a-4e92-5a63-a74f-f5342fe0c2a7.html

By the way, this article still lists the Panthers as a possibility (though I'd still doubt that he'd come here).

Carolina Panthers: Despite reports the Packers would like to send Rodgers to the AFC if they did end up trading him, the Panthers are a darkhorse good fit for him. Not only is another of his favorite people, ex-Packers offensive line coach James Campen, on the staff in Carolina, but new coach Frank Reich played the quarterback position and has assembled an impressive staff that includes ex-Packers defensive coordinator Dom Capers.

The Panthers aren’t in great cap shape (over by $2.3 million) but that’s easily fixed. They hold the No. 9 overall pick in the first round and have a pair of second-rounders they can offer in a trade package. Owner David Tepper watched as an NFC South rival, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, bent over backwards for the GOAT of quarterbacks, Tom Brady, leading to a Lombardi Trophy. Perhaps Tepper, especially after the Panthers played Sam Darnold, Baker Mayfield and P.J. Walker at the position last season, would like to give that approach a whirl.

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 1

55 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

Carr gives you a quality starting option for 3 years while you find 'the guy'. 

If Carr isn't the guy why are we spending 100mil for 3 years on a guy that's just a bridge?

Doesn't make sense my man. Either Carr is the guy and you pay him big money or you just draft a QB.

Edited by CamWhoaaCam
  • Pie 1

1 hour ago, OldhamA said:

I'd rather not have Brissett under any circumstances - I don't see the point. 

Carr gives you a quality starting option for 3 years while you find 'the guy'. Brissett just clogs up the roster. 

You perfectly as summed up what Carr is not coming and should not come here.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

If they were surely done with him, they'd have likely said so by now. Plus, who's bluffing, and about what? He's had them on a string for years, and that continues as of right now.

https://madison.com/sports/football/professional/aaron-rodgers-is-still-with-the-packers-after-his-darkness-retreat-here-is-where-things/article_48e8906a-4e92-5a63-a74f-f5342fe0c2a7.html

By the way, this article still lists the Panthers as a possibility (though I'd still doubt that he'd come here).

Carolina Panthers: Despite reports the Packers would like to send Rodgers to the AFC if they did end up trading him, the Panthers are a darkhorse good fit for him. Not only is another of his favorite people, ex-Packers offensive line coach James Campen, on the staff in Carolina, but new coach Frank Reich played the quarterback position and has assembled an impressive staff that includes ex-Packers defensive coordinator Dom Capers.

The Panthers aren’t in great cap shape (over by $2.3 million) but that’s easily fixed. They hold the No. 9 overall pick in the first round and have a pair of second-rounders they can offer in a trade package. Owner David Tepper watched as an NFC South rival, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, bent over backwards for the GOAT of quarterbacks, Tom Brady, leading to a Lombardi Trophy. Perhaps Tepper, especially after the Panthers played Sam Darnold, Baker Mayfield and P.J. Walker at the position last season, would like to give that approach a whirl.

If we offer a first round pick for a 39 year old QB, just fold the fuging franchise.