• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Glass Half Full

TJKJ23xx

The back and forth about whether to sign a FA QB or go all in for one in this upcoming draft is the hot topic of the off season and will only be more constant once the combine approaches. I for one am torn, cost vs need, which is the best way to approach an obvious outlier. 

Yes we need a QB but is the cost to get a perceived franchise QB worth it, especially with this class coming out. Yes, Stroud, Levis, Young and even Richardson are all enticing but are any really worth what it may cost to obtain their services. An option in FA like Carr could be had and give Reich an oppourtunity to reinvent him in hopes of harnessing the potential that's always been there. The cost of Carr (upwards of 25 million a year at a minimum of 3 years) could be safer if we think we need more time to properly build this team, but would mean a lot more pressure to hit on Day 1 and 2 picks to compensate for the cap hit of one questionable player. 

Are we one player away from winning it all? Is this draft really the one to fully vest in a QB? I feel the combine and pro days will give us more insight to the direction we decide to go depending on how the market for Carr plays out. We could run with a vet and see what Corral really is about. We could surprise and get a QB in the draft and FA, who knows. All I know is while the focus has been solely on this postion, I have been praying to the football gods that we finally solidify the TE and LB positions. The last time we saw this team successful those position groups were some of the best in the league and I hope that we can get back to that sooner than later!

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

We're signing a vet QB in FA. The level of that signing will give more direction to the way we're going to go in the draft. Rodgers, LJ or Carr, I expect us to pass on a 1st round QB.

Darnold, Brissett or similar and I expect us to go for a rookie in rd 1. 

Rodgers and Jackson are not free agents

7 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

True but they're available to be had in the offseason if you're willing to pay. 

I mean if you're willing to pay for them and their awful contracts(Future contract for Jackson) then you might as well spend that draft capital on a cheaper rookie.

• Pie 1

Carr is a great option if we can convince him to take an incentive based contract. I just don't know if he is worth a fully guaranteed contract in the 30,000 or above range. It isn't he can't be really good but how good at what price versus other options. Seems the trend is fully guaranteed contracts that often don't work out that well.

11 hours ago, TJKJ23xx said:

The back and forth about whether to sign a FA QB or go all in for one in this upcoming draft is the hot topic of the off season and will only be more constant once the combine approaches. I for one am torn, cost vs need, which is the best way to approach an obvious outlier. 

Yes we need a QB but is the cost to get a perceived franchise QB worth it, especially with this class coming out. Yes, Stroud, Levis, Young and even Richardson are all enticing but are any really worth what it may cost to obtain their services. An option in FA like Carr could be had and give Reich an oppourtunity to reinvent him in hopes of harnessing the potential that's always been there. The cost of Carr (upwards of 25 million a year at a minimum of 3 years) could be safer if we think we need more time to properly build this team, but would mean a lot more pressure to hit on Day 1 and 2 picks to compensate for the cap hit of one questionable player. 

Are we one player away from winning it all? Is this draft really the one to fully vest in a QB? I feel the combine and pro days will give us more insight to the direction we decide to go depending on how the market for Carr plays out. We could run with a vet and see what Corral really is about. We could surprise and get a QB in the draft and FA, who knows. All I know is while the focus has been solely on this postion, I have been praying to the football gods that we finally solidify the TE and LB positions. The last time we saw this team successful those position groups were some of the best in the league and I hope that we can get back to that sooner than later!

Is this draft the one to take a shot in? That’s the thing.  You never really know.  If you look at recent history or all time? The GOATs and great QBs are rarely no brainers.  

that’s why you just have to play the lotto IMO.  Only way to win.   Unless you want to go the route of signing an established good QB late in his career IMO.  Which limits your window.  So instead of being able to compete for 10 years it shrinks to a couple generally.  Maybe like 2-3.  

it’s a QB driven league.  and it continues to lean that way more and more IMO.