• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

New Scheme

ericr0319

I also want to publicly ponder, that perhaps Evero will not be running an exclusive 3-4 scheme. That may be the base, but isn't very likely that it ends up being more of a hybrid/multi-front scheme?  

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for the shift if we're going primarily into a 3-4, which it sounds like we are, and I'm confident in Evero's coaching to take us to the next level, especially Burns and Chinn and with the young pieces we have like Barno, Smith, etc...  but, I also think among the league's most consistent and best defenses, one of the things that comes to mind with all of them is they are scheme diverse.

If the Panthers go to a 3-4 defense, the players who’ll likely benefit most from Evero’s presence are the ones already leading the unit.

Brian Burns will go from a defensive end to a standup outside linebacker—in a role similar to what Haason Reddick has thrived under in Philadelphia. Frankie Luvu will join him on the opposite end, giving him more chances to utilize his explosiveness into and off the edge.

That duo would be backed up by Marquis Haynes Sr. and Amaré Barno, two more situational pass rushers with profiles to fit the bill. Plus, the inside—as it was even in a 4-3 base—must still be addressed regardless. (Perhaps we finally see safety Jeremy Chinn move next to Shaq Thompson.)

As far as the trench, the nose tackle spot has a few naturals in the 334-pound Marquan McCall, the 331-pound Bravvion Roy or even the emerging Derrick Brown. Otherwise, the slightly svelter Brown could play an as end in a potential partnership with free agent Matt Ioannidis—who already has experience in a 3-4 defense.

Then, from there, expect to see pressure, pressure and a little more pressure. Evero’s creativity in his scheming allowed him to dial up blitzes on 32.9 percent of opposing dropbacks, which accounted for the fourth-highest mark in the league.

5 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

You don't hire a coach and tell them to change their system.

If we wanted a 4-3 Defensive coach we would have hired one.

We also don’t have the personnel to run 3-4. We’ve tried this before with much of the same personnel over the past little while. It always reverts to a 4-3 base. We are going to need a NT, a few more OLB’s(3-4), better safeties(I’d see converting Chinn to an OLB under a competent 3-4 NFL caliber coach) 

Burns is absolutely trash in a 3-4 because it’s like pulling teeth to even get him to set an edge in 4-3. All he wants to do is get the to QB. So if he’s still around… 

Im not saying it won’t work in 2 seasons. Just that we may have a historically trash defense this season while our DC gets all his pieces in play. My point is I’d rather see him run a 4-2-5 or 4-3 this season while transitioning to his system next. 

2 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

I also want to publicly ponder, that perhaps Evero will not be running an exclusive 3-4 scheme. That may be the base, but isn't very likely that it ends up being more of a hybrid/multi-front scheme?  

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for the shift if we're going primarily into a 3-4, which it sounds like we are, and I'm confident in Evero's coaching to take us to the next level, especially Burns and Chinn and with the young pieces we have like Barno, Smith, etc...  but, I also think among the league's most consistent and best defenses, one of the things that comes to mind with all of them is they are scheme diverse.

Does he have any connections to the Philly coaches running a 4-1-6?

3 minutes ago, KatsAzz said:
If the Panthers go to a 3-4 defense, the players who’ll likely benefit most from Evero’s presence are the ones already leading the unit.

Brian Burns will go from a defensive end to a standup outside linebacker—in a role similar to what Haason Reddick has thrived under in Philadelphia. Frankie Luvu will join him on the opposite end, giving him more chances to utilize his explosiveness into and off the edge.

That duo would be backed up by Marquis Haynes Sr. and Amaré Barno, two more situational pass rushers with profiles to fit the bill. Plus, the inside—as it was even in a 4-3 base—must still be addressed regardless. (Perhaps we finally see safety Jeremy Chinn move next to Shaq Thompson.)

As far as the trench, the nose tackle spot has a few naturals in the 334-pound Marquan McCall, the 331-pound Bravvion Roy or even the emerging Derrick Brown. Otherwise, the slightly svelter Brown could play an as end in a potential partnership with free agent Matt Ioannidis—who already has experience in a 3-4 defense.

Then, from there, expect to see pressure, pressure and a little more pressure. Evero’s creativity in his scheming allowed him to dial up blitzes on 32.9 percent of opposing dropbacks, which accounted for the fourth-highest mark in the league.

Everyone thinks burns is going to be more natural in a 3-4 but we tried that before. He’s not. It’s like pulling teeth just to get him to set the edge in a 4-3. 3-4 it’s like he wasn’t even on the field. He really just wants to pass rush. 

Edited by Harbingers

23 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Yeah, if we can rip up that old BS contract of his and get actual play out of him at a reasonable price.  Do you realize we are paying him a total of $10M in voided years through 2025?

You’re reading that wrong. It’s 4M this year. That’s it. 

1 minute ago, Harbingers said:

Everyone thinks burns is going to be more natural in a 3-4 but we tried that before. He’s not. It’s like pulling teeth just to get him to set the edge in a 4-3. He really just wants to pass rush. 

I see what you are saying but the presence of Evero as a coach should help in showing Burns how to use extra chances he would have to utilize his explosiveness into and off the edge.

4 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I mean we needed another LB, DT, DE, and FS even with a 4-3 defense and that's with guys like Burns playing out of position.  Sounds like we need around the same amount of players for a 3-4 except Burns and Chinn can play much more to their strengths.  

That's the way I see it.  We don't have any proven core pieces that would have a hard time fitting with the potential scheme changes.  YGM may be an odd man out right now but it's not like he producing a ton. Maybe he becomes part of a Bears or Cardinals trade package to jump up from 9. 

Chinn would be the closest other outlier (but I'm not going to assume we go full Fangio/two-high).  A guy like Evero can figure out how to fit him in a smarty and quality way. Maybe someone can help educate me on how Chinn fits well in this.   

I think there's 4 distinct gets given Evero's background & what he's previously brought:

• A pure NT -- biggest hole, plain and simple    
  • A 3-4 DE mold 
  • A bigger/athletic ILB next to Luvu (Thinking of the Patrick Willis/Bowman combo)
  • A safety to pair w/Woods (Unless they think this is Chinn)

Burns, Haynes, Barno all seem to set into the OLB/EDGE role but we shouldn't shy if there's a good talent there for us in the FA or draft.  

Brown, Burns, Luvu, Horn, Jackson, & Woods can all fit right in schematically.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

22 minutes ago, Toomers said:

They are void years. They all hit once the players leave the team. It’s dead money. 

I see, all the prorated bonuses comes due at once as soon as the player becomes a FA.  It's odd to even bother to spread it out like that if the payout is a lump sum when due.  I'm certain there's a reason.  Obviously it's to take off cap pressure that season the player signs, but the reasoning is confusing to draw it up like that so far out in the future with the voided years.

Edited by 45catfan