• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is A.R a smaller C.Newton in the rough?

Jmac

Here is the problem with drafting a "Mini Cam" by comparing qualities.

Cam was not that accurate.  Richardson is not that accurate.  For them to be elite QBs in the NFL, they have to run the ball, extend plays, etc.  So you have to gain from the RPO running as much as you lose from the accuracy issues.   For example, if Cam averages 6 yards per pass attempt and he throws 30 passes and Brees averages 8 yards per pass attempt and he throws 30 passes, Cam throws for 180 yards and Brees throws for 240 yards. 

Cam, in theory, would need to gain 60 yards rushing and avoid turnovers to compete.  That means Cam would take about 10 hits per game more than Brees.  Hits on a QB are different than on a RB because the QB is not always in position to take on a hit.  He is often reading the secondary or checking for open WRs when he he runs out of time and gets popped. 

So for an Athletic QB with accuracy issues to compete, he takes a beating.  It is what happened to Cam--I predicted that we'd be lucky to get a decade out of him, and I was torched by the nut huggers on here.  It is not about Cam--it is about wear and tear.  I think Lamarr Jackson is in the same boat.   I think Allen in Buffalo needs to change the way he plays or he is heading toward a short career.  

• Pie 4
  • Flames 1

Similar yes, but Cam in college was a TOTALLY different monster. 

One could STRONGLY argue the best year for a QB in college actually. 

Some would say Burrow but when you realize Joe played with a damn near All-NCAA team and Cam played with "maybe" 3 drafted players on that squad, the answer becomes obvious. To me atleast. 

AR has a pretty high ceiling and I think he might actually be faster than Cam. Arm strength is push. Accuracy edge would go to Cam. As well as quite a few intangibles that can't be measured. 

He reached the highest level at every level. They throw the saying around but Cam was really a once in a lifetime talent. 

Just like you'd be hard pressed to find another Kuechly. 

AR gives me more Keapernick vibes than Cam vibes. I'd still draft him but I don't think he's worth a top 10 pick currently. His potential is however. So the question becomes are we willing to bet on his upside?

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, Shocker said:

Cam took a good (not great) Auburn team to an undefeated season and natty.  These are not the same dudes.  Not close

If people are looking for the next Cam, teasers like this will make them bite every time. 

David Newton (and he has the inside scoop, not) says we like the next Tom Brady---Will Levis.

Napoleon Dynamite Rock Throw GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

10 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I mean, Stafford was hurt this year but is only a year removed from throwing for nearly 5000 yards and 40+ TDs on the way to winning a Super Bowl. It's definitely not a stretch to argue for him as the NFC's best QB.

What about the QB who was going to win MVP before he got hurt who happens to be playing in the SB he goes by the name Jalen Hurts?

3 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

What about the QB who was going to win MVP before he got hurt who happens to be playing in the SB he goes by the name Jalen Hurts?

Jalen Hurts is not Cam either.  Cam is probably the best dual threat QB ever (Mike Vick has an argument) but none of these guys have the talent Cam had.  That said we all always wanted even Cam to be more accurate as a passer.  I love Cam but that is a fact

Edited by Shocker

2 minutes ago, Shocker said:

Jalen Hurts is not Cam either.  Cam is probably the best dual threat QB ever (Mike Vick has an argument) but none of these guys have the talent Cam had.  That said we all always wanted even Cam to be more accurate as a passer.  I love Cam but that is a fact

I believe that post was about the best QB in the NFC. 

5 minutes ago, Shocker said:

You might want to actually read my post and who I was responding to.

My comment had nothing to do with Cam.lol

15 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Oh, Hurts is definitely in that conversation too. I'm just saying it's far from trollish to argue that Stafford is the best QB in the NFC. It's not a crazy suggestion.

8 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

You might want to actually read my post and who I was responding to.

My comment had nothing to do with Cam.lol

Hang your hat on Jalen Hurts.  That’s fine.  They surrounded him with great weapons and talent.  The NFC is down in terms of QBs this season but that doesn’t mean Hurts is a great player.  He is solid.

The Pro Bowl QBs from the NFC are Hurts, Cousins, Geno Smith and Goff.  Not murderers row

Edited by Shocker