• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I Think it Should Be Wilks...

SetfreexX

1 minute ago, NorthTryon said:

Man, don't even worry about all the backlash. These dudes aren't going to stop moving the goalposts. Your opening post said everything that needed to be said and they are making you reexplain the same points over and over. I was there a few weeks ago and they literally don't care. You even shut down the argument about our defense getting weaker the year before he became Arizona's HC. You brought up the point about them firing black head coaches after one year and somebody posted a gif rolling their eyes. It is funny the way people are dismissive after you start crushing their weak arguments. Case in point, if someone is still dumb enough to say Wilks didn't adjust during the Tampa Bay game, there is no helping them. He would be one of the best options at HC for us going forward and these people showing how little they know about football post after post aren't going to change that. 

I do it for those that pay attention, it's not like I think he's the next great head coach, but I believe he's better for the ''Panthers'' than an up and comer with one year of OC experience, and no history at all. 

If he had not had the interim time it would be easier to dismiss him if you just look at the ARI situation without context. But that isn't the case. 

I'm fully aware most of the guys against it fall into one of a couple categories:

• Didn't want Cam
  • PTSD from Rivera's conservatism even though it led to a lot of success / even now in WAS where they have more playoff appearances than us since he was fired with no QB to this day
  • Ford F-150

Some of that I say in jest, I want a better offense like everyone here, I think you can still keep Wilks' leadership by also hiring a strong OC -- I'm 100% ok with poaching a SF / LAR offensive assistant to add as an OC over McAdoo. 

I think what most of the folks that post that they are against this, don't seem to talk about ''WHO'' the hire should be....?

I also said if we go the offensive route - Reich / Caldwell are my choices over ''insert young OC''. Leadership, and experience are what we presently need at the HC spot in my opinion Wilks, Reich, Caldwell could all provide that. 

This was never set up as a Wilks or bust post, just ''why'' I think he makes the most sense based off this past season along with projecting a better roster, with a QB worth a damn moving forward. 

• Poo 4

Just now, SetfreexX said:

I do it for those that pay attention, it's not like I think he's the next great head coach, but I believe he's better for the ''Panthers'' than an up and comer with one year of OC experience, and no history at all. 

If he had not had the interim time it would be easier to dismiss him if you just look at the ARI situation without context. But that isn't the case. 

I'm fully aware most of the guys against it fall into one of a couple categories:

• Didn't want Cam
  • PTSD from Rivera's conservatism even though it led to a lot of success / even now in WAS where they have more playoff appearances than us since he was fired with no QB to this day
  • Ford F-150

Some of that I say in jest, I want a better offense like everyone here, I think you can still keep Wilks' leadership by also hiring a strong OC -- I'm 100% ok with poaching a SF / LAR offensive assistant to add as an OC over McAdoo. 

I think what most of the folks that post that they are against this, don't seem to talk about ''WHO'' the hire should be....?

I also said if we go the offensive route - Reich / Caldwell are my choices over ''insert young OC''. Leadership, and experience are what we presently need at the HC spot in my opinion Wilks, Reich, Caldwell could all provide that. 

This was never set up as a Wilks or bust post, just ''why'' I think he makes the most sense based off this past season along with projecting a better roster, with a QB worth a damn moving forward. 

Really dude, you are playing the race card?  Come on man be better then that

• Pie 2

10 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

After two years of .300 win %, and a 1-4 start...

To being in playoff contention up until Week 17....

Please define resurrection, because I know damn well watching on Sundays became worth it after he took over...

Dude, ALL the NFCS teams were in Playoff contention. No one had a winning record. Stop.

Had he gone 10-2 ... THAT is a resurrection.

• Pie 1

Wilks did enough to get a serious interview. That is all anyone wanted. Beyond that I will not say that he deserves the job outright. He will be weighed and measured against everyone else that seriously wants the position.  It's ultimately Dave Teppers call and despite want any of us would like to see happen he alone will decide Wilks future here.

7 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

I gave him credit where it was due. He identified that's all we were good for because he's competent. He is Rivera.

I want more than competent with my HC though. I want better than Rivera.

HC Candidates Linked to Panthers:

Sean Payton

Frank Reich

Jim Caldwell

Kellen Moore - Been an OC for 3 years iirc

Ken Dorsey - First year OC in BUF, been a QB Coach for several 

Shane Steichen - Been an OC with LAC / PHI the past three years

Demeco Ryans - Turned down opps

Ben Johnson - Staying with DET

These are who come to mind off the top of my head, Payton, Reich, Caldwell I could all see being better than Rivera, I have also said I'm good with two of the three (would prefer not to lose draft capital to hire a coach)

Of the three young OCs up and coming who is getting you into the playoffs, and what makes you feel that way, what can you base it on that is tangible. Who will be their DCs based on what's available, etc.

3 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

• Didn't want Cam
  • Ford F-150

I ask you don't take this from discussable complaints to criticism of the people discussing. 

The whole "you don't know football" thing & going for a superiority complex over counter-opinions just lowers the bar and will now, undoubtedly, derail the discussion.  

6 minutes ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

Dude, ALL the NFCS teams were in Playoff contention. No one had a winning record. Stop.

Had he gone 10-2 ... THAT is a resurrection.

So an outright unrealistic expectation...

Versus taking a team out of the gutter and in position to compete for the playoffs, you play who you play. It was us and TB, ATL wasn't getting in, and neither was NO down the stretch. 

It was a two team race in Week 17, so from 1-4 to that is a resurrection; and honestly finishing .500 could also be considered an unrealistic expectation as no one saw that coming either. 

13 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

I disagree. We have one year of 8/9 wins, then we make the playoffs in year two, then we tank in year three, then we're back to 8/9 wins in year four maybe squeaking into the playoffs with a late season run that saves his job, and then we tank year 5 and we are right back where we started. 

It's Ron Rivera all over again. Wilks is capable of doing what Rivera did, I don't doubt that. I just want more consistency (GOOD consistency, not Rhule incompetent consistency)

Exactly, been going on for years now

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

I ask you don't take this from discussable complaints to criticism of the people discussing. 

The whole "you don't know football" thing & going for a superiority complex over counter-opinions just lowers the bar and will now, undoubtedly, derail the discussion.  

The other bars provided were limited at best...and without context. 

If it's derailed its derailed by those with no intent to have an open conversation about it versus simply dismissing the notion like has been done by many, or simply, ''not making it past the title'' which is why those folks were categorized and I even included ''in jest'' as to not seriously demean, belittle, or provoke. 

It seems that effort may have been lost in the effort to respond as quick as possible to ''call me out''. 

4 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

So an outright unrealistic expectation...

Versus taking a team out of the gutter and in position to compete for the playoffs, you play who you play. It was us and TB, ATL wasn't getting in, and neither was NO down the stretch. 

It was a two team race in Week 17, so from 1-4 to that is a resurrection; and honestly finishing .500 could also be considered an unrealistic expectation as no one saw that coming either. 

They all had a shot at getting in. All of them. But there is no reason to debate you. You see things one way, I see things another.

1 minute ago, SetfreexX said:

If it's derailed its derailed by those with no intent to have an open conversation about it versus simply dismissing the notion like has been done by many, or simply, ''not making it past the title'' which is why those folks were categorized and I even included ''in jest'' as to not seriously demean, belittle, or provoke. 

It seems that effort may have been lost in the effort to respond as quick as possible to ''call me out''. 

Nah I’ve been reading this thread and there have been multiple people including myself who have given you legitimate reasons to why wilks would be an abysmal hire.

but you only respond to the posts that are calling you out or patting you on the back.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

LOL you are accusing those that dont want wilks of racism

• Pie 1