• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Nicole Tepper to help with HC hire

The Lobo

47 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

This is a nothing burger. You guys will bitch about anything. 

5 wins (fired HC)

5 wins

5 wins

7 wins (fired HC and traded away franchise QB)

I'm sure our failures have something to do with the decisions made by the Teppers.  And Tepper made his wife Chief Admin of Tepper of Sports.  Which is over the Panthers.   And Tepper Sports has been dysfunctional from outside appearances for some time.   

When you can't win more than 7 games......Tepper and company are exactly who we should bitch about.  Them pimping his wife as a decision maker deserves criticism given our lack of success and her lack of qualifications.   This seems like the stuff we should bitch about. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

17 hours ago, TheCasillas said:

She is the team president... of course she is going to be apart of the hiring process. It doesnt mean she is a key decision maker, she is just part of the process.  She has been in role almost a year now. 

I guess that begs the question….what qualifications does one have to have in order to be the president of an NFL team? 

The team president of the 9ers started his career at comcast, worked as a consultant for the NFL, NHL, MLB, and NBA and has been involved with football since high school…and is the CEO of another big sports media company. 

The chiefs President is Mark Donovan who’s been on the industry for 3 decades. His bio is massive but here is an except:

“Donovan arrived in Kansas City after six years with the Philadelphia Eagles as Senior Vice President of Business Operations (2003-08). Prior to joining the Eagles, Donovan held leadership roles as the NFL's Senior Director of Sales and Marketing (1999-2003) and the Director of Sales and Marketing for the National Hockey League (1997-99). He also brings seven years of experience in the private business sector.”

I get that Nicole Tepper is the president and likely it’s a role given bc DT wants to be the final say on basically every decision (which I have no problem). But…Giving any person the title of president of a billion dollar company when there are competition out there like Al Guido and Mark Donovan is ridiculous. I would say the job of president may be the most difficult job in the entire building. 

18 minutes ago, unicar15 said:

I guess that begs the question….what qualifications does one have to have in order to be the president of an NFL team? 

The team president of the 9ers started his career at comcast, worked as a consultant for the NFL, NHL, MLB, and NBA and has been involved with football since high school…and is the CEO of another big sports media company. 

The chiefs President is Mark Donovan who’s been on the industry for 3 decades. His bio is massive but here is an except:

“Donovan arrived in Kansas City after six years with the Philadelphia Eagles as Senior Vice President of Business Operations (2003-08). Prior to joining the Eagles, Donovan held leadership roles as the NFL's Senior Director of Sales and Marketing (1999-2003) and the Director of Sales and Marketing for the National Hockey League (1997-99). He also brings seven years of experience in the private business sector.”

I get that Nicole Tepper is the president and likely it’s a role given bc DT wants to be the final say on basically every decision (which I have no problem). But…Giving any person the title of president of a billion dollar company when there are competition out there like Al Guido and Mark Donovan is ridiculous. I would say the job of president may be the most difficult job in the entire building. 

I was incorrect on my role titling. She is the CAO. The President is Kristi Coleman.

That being said, there should not be a "requirement" for sitting in on an interview. Reading people isnt a job experience trait. 

Edited by TheCasillas
  • Pie 2

10 minutes ago, Martin said:

What a bunch of sad people. Upset that the owners of the team will be part of the interview panel. And (gasp), one of them is a woman.

I don't know that anybody has a problem with her being a woman. What some people do have an issue with is that she has no football background, which is a valid concern.

Also fair to point out that neither do David Tepper nor Steven Drummond (who was involved the last time, don't know that he will be on this one).

Of course, as someone else put it, she has one unique qualification. She can get away with telling Tepper to shut his mouth if needed.

That's worth something 😆

• Pie 4

"Part of the process" is about the most vague and meaningless characterization to freak out about.  I was technically "part of the process" during our Super Bowl run in 2015, since I attended some games and yelled any time the opposing offense took the field.

For all we know, she's sitting in on interviews in an observer role.

Some other insight from a female point of view...

If you want to talk to me on the topic of Steve Wilks not being the right guy for the future, we can have a reasonable conversation.

If you broach that topic with Lady Cowboy Fan, you'd best be prepared for a fight...and not necessarily just a verbal one 😕

She is absolutely, 100% on the hire Steve Wilks train.

Edited by Mr. Scot

Much ado about nothing.

Pretty much every coaching search has multiple people "involved", and often not all of those people have football backgrounds, that doesn't mean they are going to be the deciding voice.

All of this talk about letting "football people" make the decisions is overplayed around here.

Owners buy the team, it's their money, the vast majority of time they are the ones who ultimately decide on the head coach.  Now during the process do they gather information from "football people" of course, I'm sure Tepper consulted "football people" when Rhule was hired.

If you are thinking Rhule, or any owner is going to stay out of the process, you are being very naive.

I know it's easy to crucify Tepper, but at the end of the day he picked one coach, who although a lot of us might not had wanted as first choice but the fact was, he was on the NFL radar for openings.  Listening to "football people" or fans doesn't guarantee success either, you might had ended up with someone like Hackett last year.  I will say though I'm not a big fan of college HCs, I think Jimmy Johnson was the exception not the rule, but that is a subject for another day.

Finding a HC is like finding a QB, there is no exact formula and there is probably some luck involved also.  You pick one and if they don't work out you go make a change.    If it was easy every team would have one.

If anything, being too patient with Ron and Rhule bothers me more than the miss on the actual hire. Choosing the wrong candidate is going to happen, same goes for drafting QBs.  

• Pie 2

12 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Some other insight from a female point of view...

If you want to talk to me on the topic of Steve Wilks not being the right guy for the future, we can have a reasonable conversation.

If you broach that topic with Lady Cowboy Fan, you'd best be prepared for a fight...and not necessarily just a verbal one 😕

She is absolutely, 100% on the hire Steve Wilks train.

Sounds like she’s fine with mediocrity