• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaching interview updates

Mr. Scot

The full control thing can be a bit scary, and would give me some trepidation, but theres a big difference between giving Sean Payton full control vs Matt Rhule, but yeah, if its collaborative between Payton and Fitterer, and Payton has final say, Im fine with that. TBH, Its not like Fitterer has shown perfect judgement to get full control either.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, PanthersGTI said:

I hope we don't jump on Payton before we can get Kafka and possibly Steichen in the building. I am also interested in the Broncos D coordinator. Apparently he was the guy that kept that locker room together and had that D playing at amazing levels even though their offense couldn't produce all year. 

Wdym kept the locker room together? Short of guys literally leaving the team and giving up their paychecks, which just doesn’t happen, that locker room seemed about as un-together as possible.

• Flames 1

2 minutes ago, WUnderhill said:

Wdym kept the locker room together? Short of guys literally leaving the team and giving up their paychecks, which just doesn’t happen, that locker room seemed about as un-together as possible.

Lol yeah, he may have kept the D united together in their hatred for the offense, but he sure wasnt mending any fences between the two.

• Beer 1

13 minutes ago, Samppson said:

I agree, I think people look way to long of term when they are talking head coaches, reality is most are fired if not successful by year 3, even if they have success, its super super rare for one to coach in one place for over 10 years. If we could say get 7-8 good years with Payton, thats a slam dunk hire.

For professional sports, especially NFL, three years is way too long to give a coach. Sure there may be an exception but if your guy is still clawing to win 4-5-6 games by year three he needs to be replaced. 

2 minutes ago, WUnderhill said:

You know it was in a tweet from one of these NFL beat reporters, but that D played at a high level all season even though it was clear the offense was cooked by like game 3. He kept his guys invested, energized and ready to play in what was becoming a national joke. I believe that was a top 5 D even with no offense to speak of. 

For those of us (like me) getting antsy that we haven't moved on a coach yet, something to consider - here's when each coach in last season's coaching carousel was hired (regular season ended 1/9/22):

Nathaniel Hackett - 1/27/22

Matt Eberflus - 1/27/22

Brian Daboll - 1/28/22 

Josh McDaniels - 1/31/22

Doug Pederson - 2/4/22

Mike McDaniel - 2/6/22

Lovie Smith - 2/7/22

Dennis Allen - 2/8/22

Kevin O'Connell - 2/16/22

Todd Bowles - 3/30/22 (extenuating circumstances here)

Most likely we will not name a HC until likely the middle of next week at the very earliest. 

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, ladypanther said:

2. He is not interested in building a team for long tern success.  He wants to come in, get his ring (or try) and leave the team in salary cap hell when he goes back to his cushy TV job and home in LA.

What is your proof of this? This sounds like a wild assumption. He coached the Saints for 16 years... there is no data showing he would come in ruin a franchise and leave..

• Beer 1

10 minutes ago, ladypanther said:

I do not want Payton for a couple of reasons:

1.  Character.  He does not have it..we all know about that.

2. He is not interested in building a team for long tern success.  He wants to come in, get his ring (or try) and leave the team in salary cap hell when he goes back to his cushy TV job and home in LA.

I prefer a coach in this for the long term who can build the team for sustained success,  not a 1 and done.

I normally agree with your post but with this one I cannot.  I wouldn't say 15 years with one team, a successful 15 years that is,  is the type of coach that wants to get in get his ring and get out.  Character, at this point I really could care less about their character, I want to care about Carolina Panther football again and for me that means winning.

8 minutes ago, ladypanther said:

I do not want Payton for a couple of reasons:

1.  Character.  He does not have it..we all know about that.

I prefer a coach in this for the long term who can build the team for sustained success,  not a 1 and done.

1. Is my biggest NO to him, preferred Harbaugh because he's less smug, less arrogant. I've never wanted to come through the TV screen and slap Jim Harbaugh like I've wanted to with Sean Payton. I respect his coaching tree but he's always been the unruly kid of that bunch. Not honoring his opponent, just the opposite, if you let him embarrass you he won't settle for three and run down the clock he wants to put up 50pts on hapless opponents and snicker at them from the sidelines. Not my brand of football but our owner LOVES him and if he says yes Dave will do anything.

Everybody loves their own a**hole so he may change minds like Roman Harper is saying.

3 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

Not honoring his opponent, just the opposite, if you let him embarrass you he won't settle for three and run down the clock he wants to put up 50pts on hapless opponents and snicker at them from the sidelines.

And to be clear... that isn't the kind of head coach you want?

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, Mage said:

And to be clear... that isn't the kind of head coach you want?

As some old men often say "I don't like what you're doing but I respect it".

I think he's a great coach. He'll curb stomp other lesser coaches.

I'm going to channel my inner Scot here and say I wish he'd behave himself while being dominant.

Best hire this off-season IF Tepper can pull it off. He shunned perhaps the other potential best coach in football so I hope it works or....yay Wilksy!